Civil Air Patrol

Premises2972

Just listening to some Civil Air Patrol in the Chicago area every weekday at 7PM. The main repeater is 148.125 with an input of 143.550 P25 and analog. The net controllers check in the first few units, then they say "I am going to check the other systems" Anyone know what the other systems are? HF? I have heard some of these guys complaining that their HF rigs weren't working back in May due to weather conditions. I have heard some P25 on 143.700 but I am not sure if thats the other system. They use a system that can link other regional nets/units. I think its called Rediop. You can tell when outside units check in because they have a P25 RID of 1, instead of a regular long RID. Does anyone know if there are other nets that can be listened to that CAP uses? Also, can anyone identify these callsigns and where these units are from? Red Fox is the primary callsign for anyone in the Chicago area, but I am unsure if this is for the whole state. These are some more units I have heard, wondering if anyone can ID them.
Blue Lakes
Red Fire
Long Leaf
Free State
Any other info on CAP in general?

wx9svr

Premium Subscriber
Red Fox - Illinois Wing
Blue Lake - Great Lakes Region
Red Fire - Indiana Wing
Long Leaf - North Carolina Wing
Free State - Maryland Wing

Radio99

Premium Subscriber
From my location near O'Hare I am able to monitor the primary and backup CAP frequencies. Primary and backup are both analog and P25 systems. I believe on Wednesdays they use analog. The primary system has a PL of 123.0 and a NAC of 4CE while the backup system has a PL of 107.2 and a NAC of 430. I believe there is also a system located south (Joliet area maybe ?) which I am unable to monitor.

The primary system is 148.150 MHz and the backup system is 148.125 MHz

Last edited:

ecps92

From my location near O'Hare I am able to monitor the primary and backup CAP frequencies. Primary and backup are both analog and P25 systems. I believe on Wednesdays they use analog. The primary system has a PL of 123.0 and a NAC of 4CE while the backup system has a PL of 107.2 and a NAC of 430. I believe there is also a system located south (Joliet area maybe ?) which I am unable to monitor.

The primary system is 148.150 MHz and the backup system is 148.125 MHz
FYI - both Freq's are generally Primary, they scatter them to prevent overlapping interference
however they (CAP) does reference them as Primary and Secondary and it is 148.1250 and 148.1500
when they went Narrowband they swapped Primary/Secondary

123.0 and $4CE - 148.1500 is likely R-38 at Scott AFB
107.2 and $430 - 148.1250 is R-25 Chicago

See if you can nail down more on the NETS to get the Wiki updated

ecps92

Just listening to some Civil Air Patrol in the Chicago area every weekday at 7PM. The main repeater is 148.125 with an input of 143.550 P25 and analog. The net controllers check in the first few units, then they say "I am going to check the other systems" Anyone know what the other systems are? HF? I have heard some of these guys complaining that their HF rigs weren't working back in May due to weather conditions. I have heard some P25 on 143.700 but I am not sure if thats the other system. They use a system that can link other regional nets/units. I think its called Rediop. You can tell when outside units check in because they have a P25 RID of 1, instead of a regular long RID. Does anyone know if there are other nets that can be listened to that CAP uses? Also, can anyone identify these callsigns and where these units are from? Red Fox is the primary callsign for anyone in the Chicago area, but I am unsure if this is for the whole state. These are some more units I have heard, wondering if anyone can ID them.
Blue Lakes
Red Fire
Long Leaf
Free State

The other systems are likely the other Repeaters on 148.1250 (different PL and NAC) and 148.1500
143.7000 is input to the 148.1500 Repeater

Premises2972

FYI - both Freq's are generally Primary, they scatter them to prevent overlapping interference
however they (CAP) does reference them as Primary and Secondary and it is 148.1250 and 148.1500
when they went Narrowband they swapped Primary/Secondary

123.0 and $4CE - 148.1500 is likely R-38 at Scott AFB
107.2 and $430 - 148.1250 is R-25 Chicago

See if you can nail down more on the NETS to get the Wiki updated
So when they say they are checking the other systems, they are going from 148.125 to 148.150?

ecps92

So when they say they are checking the other systems, they are going from 148.125 to 148.150?
YES and/or other Repeaters that the Net Control can hit or access via the internet on the same freq

Net Control may also be announcing by Channel Name (R-##) the Repeaters they are switching to

wx9svr

Premium Subscriber
Whitetail - Pennsylvania Wing
Blue Sky - CAP National Headquarters (NHQ)

Premises2972

Thanks, how does their system work exactly? What are the intercom numbers and what do they mean? are all the units supposed to write down the full message the net controller gives them?

wx9svr

Premium Subscriber
● Alphabetical by Tactical Call Sign

Tactical Call Sign - Unit
---------------------------------------------------------
Abenaki - New Hampshire Wing
Aspen Gold - Rocky Mountain Region
Avenging Spirit - Nat'l Headquarters Special Use
Beaver Fox - Oregon Wing
Big Bend - Texas Wing
Billy Bear - CAP Nat'l HQ (CAP) / USAF HFGCS Stns
Black Granite - Montana Wing
Blue Bird - Missouri Wing
Blue Lake - Great Lakes Region
Blue Mesa - Colorado Wing
Blue Mound - Wisconsin Wing
Caldera - Washington Wing
Capstone - Northeast Region
Capital - National Capital Wing
Charter Oak - Connecticut Wing
Columbus - Ohio Wing
Diamond Flight - Delaware Wing
Down East - Maine Wing
Firebrand - Hawaii Wing
Free State - Maryland Wing
Goldenrod - Alabama Wing
Grassland - South Dakota Wing
Grey Sky - Unknown
High Bird - CAP Radio Relay Aircraft
High Desert -- Utah Wing
High Plains - Wyoming Wing
Hill Sky - Congressional Squadron
Jefferson - Virginia Wing
Landing Gear - Georgia Wing
Long Leaf - North Carolina Wing
Long Trail - Vermont Wing
Manatee - Florida Wing
Middle East - Middle East Region
Mockingbird - Mississippi Wing
Moonshine - Kentucky Wing
Mudbug - Louisiana Wing
Narragansett - Rhode Island Wing
North Central - North Central Region
Oil Well - Oklahoma Wing
Patriot - Massachusetts Wing
Peace Garden - North Dakota Wing
Rattlesnake - Southwest Region
Red Cloud - Nebraska Wing
Red Dragon - New Jersey Wing
Red Fire - Indiana Wing
Red Fox - Illinois Wing
Red Robin - Michigan Wing
Red Rock - Arizona Wing
Rocky Top - Tennessee Wing
Sand Lapper - South Carolina Wing
Ship Rock - New Mexico Wing
Silver State - Nevada Wing
Skyline - West Virginia Wing
Sourdough - Alaska Wing
Star Fish - Minnesota Wing
Star Garnet - Idaho Wing
Storm Cloud - Puerto Rico Wing
Tornado - Iowa Wing
Triblade - National Traffic Net (NTN)
Western - Pacific Region
White Peak - New York Wing
Wild Wood - Arkansas Wing
Wire Head - National Headquarters Comms Staff
Yellow Brick - Kansas Wing
Yellow Plane - Southeast Region
Yosemite - California Wing

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Blue Lakes
Red Fire
Long Leaf
Free State
we heard that in utah too some kind of net. here it didn't last very long.i wonder if they done this nationwide.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
ours was 148.150 p25 very short maybe 5 minutes our utah national guard Civil Air Patrol frequency