Civilian air traffic through military controlled airspace ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirScan

The other day I heard a civilian airliner being worked by "Giant Killer" on 118.125 off the coast of Norfolk. It got me wondering what other areas there are in the USA where high altitude commercial traffic is routinely worked by military controllers ?

In my travels I can only recall 4 areas in the USA where I've heard this happen.

Route AR9 through warning area W-387, off the coast of Norfolk, Virginia
Controlled by "Giant Killer" - 118.125
- eg: used by trans Atlantic flights to/from southern US destinations

Area between Q166 and J110 through restricted airspace R-2508, Edwards AFB, California
Controlled by "Joshua Approach" - 127.500, 133.650
- eg: used by traffic in/out of the San Francisco metro area on direct routings.
(I believe now FAA controllers, but the airspace is military, so I'll say it counts)

Northeast of the Las Vegas, Nevada area
Controlled by "Nellis" AFB - 126.65
- eg: traffic in/out of Las Vegas on direct routings to/from the north/northeast
( I won't count the "Janet" flights into area 51 as civilian)

Warning areas off the coast of Savannah, Georgia
Controlled by "Sealord" - 120.950
- eg: used by Gulfstream for bizjet test flights

Anyone know of any other areas in the US where military controllers routinely work high altitude commercial traffic ? (When they are allowed in).

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Travis AFB has a sector in the SF Bay Area controlled by them. I think it's lower level so not much commerical traffic but plenty of VFR

AirScan

Travis AFB has a sector in the SF Bay Area controlled by them. I think it's lower level so not much commerical traffic but plenty of VFR

Thanks, yeah there are a lot of military approach control facilities that do work civilian traffic, but this is low altitude approach control stuff and they are shown on civilian VFR/Approach charts

I was thinking more of the higher altitude airspace, where the controlling military agency is not identified on the civilian enroute IFR (high/low) charts, as is the case with the 4 examples I know about listed above.

Flyham

Mil ATC Civilian Air Traffic

I've experience this happening once. I was in Cessna 172 IFR at 5000ft. I was making the turn ESE from Raliegh enroute to New Bern. I was expecting either Washington or Jacksonville Center and ended up getting Seymour Johnson. It was slightly unexpected.

AirScan

I was expecting either Washington or Jacksonville Center and ended up getting Seymour Johnson. It was slightly unexpected.

McGuire AFB in Wrightstown, NJ works a large amount of civil traffic transiting between New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington D.C.

Thanks, good examples of military Approach Control facilities (RAPCONs). Seymour Johnson Approach works 10,000 feet and below (I don't see any reference to their frequencies on the VFR or enroute IFR charts). McGuire Approach works 8,000 feet and below (one of their frequencies is listed on the VFR charts).

What I'm looking for though are military ATC facilities (their callsigns and VHF frequencies) that control HIGH altitude airspace, above 24,000 feet, that routinely work civilian traffic. I guess like the military equivalent of an ARTCC.

So far I've found/heard, Joshua, Nellis, Giant Killer, and Sealord. Wondering if there are any more, that might be all there is ?

(I know I can hunt on Google, but figure this forum would be a better resource to start with, looking for actual reports from people who have heard them).

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Take a look in the database at the Utah Test and Training Range. Clover Control at Hill AFB, Utah controls air traffic within the massive Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR). Clover Control interfaces with Salt Lake City Center (ZLC), with airspace from surface to FL580 (58,000 feet) for much of the restricted airspace, with other reserved airspace that can pass back and forth between ZLC and Clover.

Utah Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

There is some dated info in this thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/utah-radio-discussion-forum/252608-utah-mil-air-database.html

kmi8dy

a short story. i have a very good friend in tucson, az. who decided to get his pilots licence. on his last solo flight, and returning to the field he took off from two hours before, he radioed for instructions and was given them. he landed without insodent and about 30 seconds later had 3 dark blue us air force pickups parked in front of him. he had radioed the right field but landed at the wrong field. he landed at a air force aux. air field. he recieved a 300 dollar landing fee, and a stern warning. also a chewing out by his instructer. he did get his pilots licence.

AirScan

Take a look in the database at the Utah Test and Training Range. Clover Control at Hill AFB

Thanks, yes that's the sort of areas I'm looking for. From my limited experience monitoring in that area I've never heard Clover working any high altitude civilian traffic though (there is a LiveATC radio that covers that ZLC sector).

When it's hot Salt Lake gives reroutes to keep them clear and when it's cold Clover gives the airspace back to Salt Lake. Which seems to be the standard, that's why I was surprised to hear Giant Killer working civilian trans Atlantic traffic and not New York.

he had radioed the right field but landed at the wrong field. he landed at a air force aux. air field.

D'oh. Delta Airlines does that too (twice at Ellsworth AFB).

Status
Not open for further replies.