Civillian use of radar in a vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
spadoinkle said:
mm, I'm not sure who that is addressed to... At no point have I ever stated that I want or intend to 'jam' police radar in this thread. I have zero interest in interfering with police radar - I drive the speed limit. What I am is a geek and having my own radar is:

A) Funny
B) Educational
C) A conversation piece
D) Fun to mess with speeders with radar detectors_k-55.html[/url]

In other words you want to make others think you are the police by setting off radar detectors.

I see it as an attractive nuisance that the police will check to see if you stole it. I know in Florida it would be a felony to turn it on as it transmits a signal that you are not licensed for by the FCC.

jhooten

Speed radars do not jam each other. If they did you would not see two troopers running traffic on the same strech of highway. They operate in a 50 mHz wide band of frequencies ( see below).

Ham use: The ham band is 10-10.5 gHz, Speed radars operate at 10.525 +or-25 mHz. Unless you retune them your are operating out of the ham band.

spadoinkle

jhooten said:
Ham use: The ham band is 10-10.5 gHz, Speed radars operate at 10.525 +or-25 mHz. Unless you retune them your are operating out of the ham band.

K-55 Transmit Frequency measured at 10.54GHz:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5438333.html

10GHz band allocation:
http://indiaimage.nic.in/nfap-2000/p10.htm

Ok, so a license really is the only legal way to go, simply sending your ham call-sign via CW isn't acceptable. I think I've found the license, the key word to search for is "radiolocation", not radar.

The license is called "Private Mobile Radio Service" and covers several other things besides just radar:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=private_land_radio

License costs:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms/feeguide/services/landmobile.pdf

License rules:
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ccess.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/octqtr/47cfr90.103.htm

The K-55 at 10.54GHz puts the following restrictions on a potential license holder:
(20) This band is restricted to radiolocation systems using type N0N
emission with a power not to exceed 40 watts into the antenna.

(22) For frequencies 2455 MHz, 10,525 MHz, and 24,125 MHz, only
unmodulated, continuous wave (NON) emission shall be employed. The
frequency 24.10 GHz, and frequencies in the 24.20-24.25 GHz band may use
NON emission along with an ancillary FM digital emission. The frequency
24.10 GHz will be used for the purpose of alerting motorists of
hazardous driving conditions and the presence of emergency vehicles.
Equipment operating on 24.10 GHz must keep the deviation of the FM
digital signal within 5 MHz. Equipment operating
on this frequency must have a frequency stability of at least 2000 ppm
and is exempt from the requirements of Sec. Sec. 90.403(c), 90.403(f),
and 90.429 of this part.

(24) Devices designed to operate as field disturbance sensors on
frequencies between 10,500 and 10,550 MHz and between 24,050 and 24,250
MHz, with field strength equal to or less than 250,000 microvolts per
meter at 30 meters, on the fundamental frequency, will not be licensed
or certificated for use under this part. Such equipment must comply with
the requirements for field disturbance sensors as set forth in part 15
of this chapter.

I believe section 24 is what allows the sport radar guns to be license free.

Question for Microwavemike:
I have heard that most land radar units like a K-55 operate at or below 100mW. I've looked at some equations to convert uV/m to P (Watts) but can't make too much sense of it. Can you offer any translation?

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
This whole thread reeks of "whacker-iffic".

For those using it on vehicles they think are speeding - get the hell out of the left lane and quit trying to be the "social concience" on the road.

For those who will now sift through all the "miscellaneous" bins at swap meets looking for old radar systems - why not use that time to do something a little more constructive with your life.

And finally, for those who just have one of these mounted in your POV, don't be surprised and post your whining on here when you get pulled over and hassled, regardless of what you "think" your rights are.

Folks, let's not confuse this with pure RF experimentation; if you have one in your vehicle and its not your job to use them, sell them or service them on a regular basis - you're a whacker.

K3GI

The safety department at many trucking companies purchase radar units. Safety supervisors sometimes patrol and use them to monitor their trucks. Some insurance companies do the same thing for fleets that they insure.

spadoinkle

datainmotion said:
This whole thread reeks of "whacker-iffic".

For those using it on vehicles they think are speeding - get the hell out of the left lane and quit trying to be the "social concience" on the road.

For those who will now sift through all the "miscellaneous" bins at swap meets looking for old radar systems - why not use that time to do something a little more constructive with your life.

And finally, for those who just have one of these mounted in your POV, don't be surprised and post your whining on here when you get pulled over and hassled, regardless of what you "think" your rights are.

Folks, let's not confuse this with pure RF experimentation; if you have one in your vehicle and its not your job to use them, sell them or service them on a regular basis - you're a whacker.

Well aren’t you just a ray of sunshine? I always find it interesting when I encounter a new community to see how they sub-divide themselves. "We're better than that other closely related group because of xyz..." Ham radio operators have their CB doppelgangers that are looked down upon, immediately I see that the scanner community is no exception. It's ok to be interested in what public service is up to, but you can't show too much interest or enthusiasm or you risk being a "whacker" seems to be the main dividing line. I predict a few more posts like this with an argument of "Someone will slam on their brakes and cause an accident because of what you are doing, you are reckless and a danger to society!!!". Trust me dude, I've seen all your arguments before and I'm not getting into it with you, you don't know me or my motives. There have already been a few posts from people legitimately using radar that realized they may need to acquire licensing so this thread was ultimately positive and beneficial.

Anywho, I got the information I wanted, feel free to continue sub-dividing and destroying yourselves at will.

Thanks to everyone that contributed positively!! Goodnight Cleveland!

SCPD

QRT
datainmotion
Crawl back in your cardboard box and play with your marbles. Better a whacker that a nosy retarded social douche bag. I will do as I please within the limits of the law and that includes pissing off retards like you and all the little *******s out there who think they have a rocket attached to the ass end of their vehicles. Hell, I bet you got a detector mounted right on the dash of your rocket. Reckon that should close this thread. If not, I am waiting for another 62 IQ response from your lordship.

Last edited:

Thayne

My Internist told me it was OK to be a Whacker. He said being a Whacker is better than nothing. ;)

flyingwolf

Old School
I got carpel tunnel from being a whacker, then I got married, now I am forced to be a whacker.

Now if that doesnt close this thread nothing will.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
dcg729 said:
However if I were an LEO and stopped a car with a working visable radar I would assume that I had caught the king fish of all wackers

Agreed...why have it when you can't use it for it's intended use.

HabboX

How about news reporters? There is a segment during the news called Streets of Speed. Just about every city has a TV news department that features a similar segment in which a reporter takes a radar gun to various neighborhoods and clocks speeders, then solicits comments from the speeders or residents. Google "Streets of Speed" and you will see what I'm talking about.

cybr

Premium Subscriber
Hot Wheels has a radar gun for $40. I picked one up at a Zellers here in Canada. Hot Wheels shows it on thier website. It can measure in 1:1 and 1:64 scale.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thread closed, it is out of hand and the last post (now deleted) was uncalled for and vulgar.

Status
Not open for further replies.