Clarification on BCT15/BCT15X Front & Rear Programming Ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6HCB

Are these ports on the front and rear interchangeable/linked.... one just being a USB style connector and the other a 9 pin serial?

I am ISO mounting 2 BCT15s in dash and need to be able to program them while installed - hoping I can use the front connector instead of needing to access the rear. This seems like its not a problem.... correct?

Id check myself but the scanners are still in USPS' hands.

Happy Thanksgiving! :D

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Usb-1

Are these ports on the front and rear interchangeable/linked.... one just being a USB style connector and the other a 9 pin serial?

I am ISO mounting 2 BCT15s in dash and need to be able to program them while installed - hoping I can use the front connector instead of needing to access the rear. This seems like its not a problem.... correct?

Id check myself but the scanners are still in USPS' hands.

Happy Thanksgiving! :D
Get the cable for the front port part number (USB-1 ) and you can program them no problem. The front cable does not come with the scanner, you have to buy one.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
They aren't exactly interchangeable. As has been mentioned in the past, you should not set the back port up for programming - assuming, in the wildest possibility, that any firmware changes are coming down the pike, they MUST be programmed using the front port. You cannot do this on the rear port.

best regards.....Mike

garys

Premium Subscriber
Get the cable for the front port part number (USB-1 ) and you can program them no problem. The front cable does not come with the scanner, you have to buy one.

This is incorrect. While the DMA scanners do not come with a USB cable, they all come with a programming cable that accesses the front port. It's a serial cable on the computer end, which is problematic if you have a new computer without a serial port. However, there are plenty of USB adapters, and plenty of threads about it here, that will enable you to use the supplied cable with a USB only computer.

The rear port is primarily for GPS data input from a GPS receiver, but you can use it for programming. You will need a null adapter and depending on the exact cable you use, you might need a gender changer. Other than that speed and functionality are identical between the front and rear ports. Well, except for the physical design.

As Mike mentions firmware updates MUST be done through the front port.

I'm pretty sure that when Uniden designed the DMA scanners for DIN mounting they decided to add the front port. Having had to remove the older scanners from console mounts to update the programming, I can tell you it was a pain in the neck. The front port makes it a breeze.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
USB cable

Yes the scanner comes with a "Cable" and as stated you have to have a computer with a serial connector. I assumed anyone going out to his or her car would be using a modern laptop (USB) not (Serial) the easy way to get this done would be the USB-1 cable. Yes you can use the provided cable with an adaptor etc. but there's always driver issues and problems depending on what Windows OS you have and the list goes on. My best advise is buy the USB-1 cable, and use FreeSCAN to program both scanners via the front port. This question comes up alot on this forum and many run into problems trying to do the Serial to USB adaptor method. Loading drivers and conflicting comm ports etc. Big headache!! If you don't believe me try to set up comm ports on a ACER netbook. Personal experience with the USB-1 cable = I never had a single problem reading or writing to my BCT15 or BCT15x.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It would seem that you made some inaccurate assumptions. Very few people have reported adapter driver problems with Prolific or FTDI chipset adapters. The people who have problems often have failed to install drivers or have used outdated drivers. Maybe it's a headache for you, but most people seem to figure it out without having to buy the USB-1.

I'm using an Acer Aspire One (the original version) and have used three different brands of USB adapters. I have used Freescan, a variety of Butel products, two different programs for Yaesu radios. I also used BCTool+ to run two different DMA scanners at the same time, using two different USB adapters. If there were systemic problems with USB adapters and Acer Netbooks, I'd probably have found them by now.

Maybe the computers aren't the problem.

Yes the scanner comes with a "Cable" and as stated you have to have a computer with a serial connector. I assumed anyone going out to his or her car would be using a modern laptop (USB) not (Serial) the easy way to get this done would be the USB-1 cable. Yes you can use the provided cable with an adaptor etc. but there's always driver issues and problems depending on what Windows OS you have and the list goes on. My best advise is buy the USB-1 cable, and use FreeSCAN to program both scanners via the front port. This question comes up alot on this forum and many run into problems trying to do the Serial to USB adaptor method. Loading drivers and conflicting comm ports etc. Big headache!! If you don't believe me try to set up comm ports on a ACER netbook. Personal experience with the USB-1 cable = I never had a single problem reading or writing to my BCT15 or BCT15x.

IDCowboy1

I have one of each(USB and Serial) of the front jack programming cables and they both work great. I had to install a driver for the USB to Serial converter chip in the USB cable, but that was no big deal. I've never tried the rear RS-232 port, don't really see the need in using it since my scanner came with the serial front jack cable.

KJ6HCB

Got the BCT15 in today and programmed it with FreeScan and the serial cable.

I have a dedicated programming computer for Motorola two ways and scanners, so no issue. Works great!

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.