Clark County Engineer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddsbstrb

I used to be able to monitor the Clark Co. Engineers Office (snow plows). I am currently using two scanners and cannot receive any transmissions on their frequency VHF 151.0100, using my RS Pro 92 handheld or my GRE PSR-600, with both receivers on manual locked onto 151.0100. We are having a bad snow storm this morning and afternoon, and, this frequency should be full of transmission from the county plows.

I do notice I get a really strong "buzz" or birdie on this frequency on my Pro 92 (in my computer room); however, I do not get this birdie on the PSR-600 which is a room away from my computer room.

The 151.0100 is the current freq. in the RR Database.

Are any of you "locals" able to hear any radio traffic from the Clark Co. Engineer. I think their tower is out on US-40 near the Tuttle Road Wal-Mart area, and I live by the Springfield Airport and should get a powerful signal from their tower.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Clark County Engineer has been digital for some time now. I believe they are using NXDN which cannot be monitored by any scanners currently on the market.

Sent from my lousy iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbud42010

I live in springfield and i use DSD to decode the citys provoice system so i figured i would try the NXDN system and guess what?? Its ENC thats a bunch of bull if you ask me!!

reo236

They are using mototrbo system. What is dsd.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddsbstrb

Sorry, this is totally new technology to me. Will I be able to monitor the Clark Co. Engineer if I download the DSD software onto my Windows laptop, use my USB data cable and hook into my GRE-600 scanner?

I read the series of steps on how to get the DSD software to work with my soundcard; however, I have not been brave enough to actually install the software and tweak it. I might need to have my son come over and walk me through this, especially all of the DOS commands.

I know my school district, Greenon Schools, also runs their bus fleet through one of these systems which needs DSD software to monitor their new radios.

Bare with me, guys. Hard to teach this "old-dog", new tricks. When I started listening to Clark County and Springfield City, I built my own scanner for hi-band VHF from Pop. Electronics and then went to the Bearcat with crystals! I still have that one down the basement. Also put together a couple of Heathkit VHF and Aircraft Radios, which tuned. Also used a little RS portable for Aircraft VHF. Might have had a Lafayete Radio which tuned, also.

Thanks so much for all of your information. I'll keep working to understand this Digital Speech Decorder technology.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You will need a scanner which has a discriminator tap. The Discriminator output from a scanner is the raw, unfiltered signal that a scanner produces before it is sent to the audio stage for output through the speaker -- also called the "base band audio."

ddsbstrb

According to some of the wiki info I have been reading about DSD, it looks like the GRE PSR 500/600 have the ability to deliver discriminator output right through the programing cable which connects to the front of the scanner, then into a computer USB port.

Anybody have any DSD experience with using a PSR-500/600 scanner and are using the GRE data cable to connect to your PSR 500/600?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
According to some of the wiki info I have been reading about DSD, it looks like the GRE PSR 500/600 have the ability to deliver discriminator output right through the programing cable which connects to the front of the scanner, then into a computer USB port.

Anybody have any DSD experience with using a PSR-500/600 scanner and are using the GRE data cable to connect to your PSR 500/600?

I don't have any DSD or GRE experience just repeating what I have read on this site.

HERE is a page describing how to tap a PSR-500. I don't think this would exist if that were the case but I could be wrong.

SCPD

QRT
what possible reason would they need to encrypt their comm?? If it is indeed expensive to do so, why would County Admin. pay that extra money, I mean what privacy concerns are there that would be violated, oohhh secret bids being told on radio?? Doubt it, makes you wonder who approves this stuff, oh but you always have us taxpayers to pay for it, but they dont want us to hear it.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
what possible reason would they need to encrypt their comm?? If it is indeed expensive to do so, why would County Admin. pay that extra money, I mean what privacy concerns are there that would be violated, oohhh secret bids being told on radio?? Doubt it, makes you wonder who approves this stuff, oh but you always have us taxpayers to pay for it, but they dont want us to hear it.

Basic encryption (at least 8-bit) is a standard feature of many digital radios these days. It probably didn't cost any extra, and very possibly the engineer staff merely said "sure, why not?" when the service techs asked if they wanted to use it.

bigbud42010

Sorry fellow scanners clark county engineers are not ENC i just had to tweak some settings a little bit and now i hear them loud and clear and they are using DMR for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.