Clark / Plainfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. This has bugged me for awhile but I never checked into it. Now that I have a new BCT15X I thought I'd throw this question at ya while I'm learning to program it. Both Clark,nj and Plainfield,nj have the same freq even though they are only about 2 miles apart. I'm in Linden and get Clark L&C, 5-bars, but nothing at all from Plainfield. Anyone know whats wrong.

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag
460.57500 WQEK401 RM 162.2 PL FD Disp (Clark)
460.57500 WPTT822 RM 703 DPL FD Disp (Plainfield)

Hi all. This has bugged me for awhile but I never checked into it. Now that I have a new BCT15X I thought I'd throw this question at ya while I'm learning to program it. Both Clark,nj and Plainfield,nj have the same freq even though they are only about 2 miles apart. I'm in Linden and get Clark L&C, 5-bars, but nothing at all from Plainfield. Anyone know whats wrong.

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag
460.57500 WQEK401 RM 162.2 PL FD Disp (Clark)
460.57500 WPTT822 RM 703 DPL FD Disp (Plainfield)

Lol. I'm in Dunellen, right next to Plainfield; and I get their fire channel perfectly fine. But I hear nothing from Clark. Occasionally on some clear nights, I'll hear some activity on the Plainfield Fire channel from what I presume is Clark. But that happens very seldomly.

See on the tone where It says PL and DPL? I think the reason you don't hear them, is because of the tone. DPL means Digital Private Line. It's a low frequency tone that is transmitted along with a radio signal that allow the system users to ignore signals from other users. Because they're so close to eachother.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thats what I was wondering the DPL must keep them apart or something, I wonder if there is a way my scanner can do something whith that so as to get both cities.

Oh and yea the same happens to me on a very few nights, I think I hear Plainfield. But like you said very seldom. Thanks.

ansky

Thats what I was wondering the DPL must keep them apart or something, I wonder if there is a way my scanner can do something whith that so as to get both cities.

I'm not familiar with that particular scanner but there should be a way to turn off the DPL. Check the manual.

Highpockets

I would enter that freq twice, one with the PL for Clark and one with the DPL for Plainfield, this way you'll know what department is talking. If you enter the freq once with no PL/DPL you won't know who is talking, well unless you know the engine/truck numbers etc and can tell them apart from knowing the area. :) Also you can/will see the alpha tag for the right department if entered separately.

Boss

Plainfield FD is what your hearing most of the time . A very busy dep't and the dispatchers answer as Central .

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I would enter that freq twice, one with the PL for Clark and one with the DPL for Plainfield, this way you'll know what department is talking.

Thank you, I was wondering if that was possible. Now for the grand question..... Is setting the PL/DPL possible to do on the BCT15X? On my old scanner and this new one, I don't see anyplace to enter a freq with a PL/DPL. I know in my old patrol car the radios were set with our PL until u removed the mic from the holder then you hear another town from south Jersey. Wondering if you can do that with a normal scanner. Thanks e1 for your help.

DJ88

Yes, you can set a PL/DPL on the 15X as follows:
Press Menu
Highlight Program System and press E
Highlight the system the frequency is programmed into and press E
Highlight Edit Group and press E
Highlight whatever group the frequency is programmed into and press E
Highlight Edit Channel and press E
Scroll to the channel the frequency is in and press E
Highlight Set CTCSS/DCS and press E (CTCSS is the same as PL and DCS is the same as DPL)
Highlight CTCSS for the PL and select the PL tone using the scroll knob. When you find it press E
Or...Highlight DCS for the DPL tone,select it using the scroll knob and when you find it, press E.
When you're done, press scan to get back to normal scan mode.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can set a PL/DPL on the 15X as follows:

Wow, you just blew my whole theroy. I figured with my luck, as usual, I picked the wrong scanner to buy. I was expecting you all to say "tough luck guy" can't be done. I think my luck is changing, 1) buying the BCT15X 2) joining RaidoReference 3)Marks Scanners "Easy To Read" Manual. I think it's time to buy a lottery ticket. Thank u very much for your quick and detailed answer.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
if you have the programming cable and use software there will be a column where you can enter those settings. I use the following software and it works well with the new Uniden scanners. It's called FreeScan.

Downloads - Sixspot Software
Thank You, yes I have the cable and found the Sixspot freeware last Sunday. I reset my scanner to factory start, then used it to program & backup my new scanner. It worked GREAT and was easy to use, oh did I say FREE!.:D
Yes Thank You for your help also, it is great, it does just about everything the $40.00 software does. And yes I remember seeing the area where I can set the CTCSS/DCS. I just didn't click it yet because I wasn't sure what it did. I whant to check out the software more later and see everything it does. Thank you all for your help.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
...An after thought. Do all of you set PL/DPL's for all your channels or just the ones that have conflicts. In other words, should I set them for all my frequencies?:confused:

DJ88

It's a good idea to set them for all channels. That way you know you won't get any interference from any other agencies that may use the same frequency. With the PLs/DPLs set, you know you're hearing only the agency that you want to listen to on any given frequency..

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thank You Dj & Highpockets. I thought u both would say that, It only makes sense. Like just lately, on certan nights on my Roselle Park Fire Disp freq, I will pick up Hackensack Fire. Depending upon the dispacter you can't tell the difference, I would have to wait to hear the address or something else unique to Roselle Park to figure out who it is. I'm gonna use FreeScan tonight and adjust all of my frequencies so as to have PL/DPL's. Then back it up. Thanks again u all were a great help.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Here's a good laugh, I was just reading Marks scanner and found the section explaining CTCSS/DCS, and he said....

"Public safety radio systems on the same frequency are usually set up at a distance of 40 miles apart, or more."

I guess someone at the FCC forgot to wear their glasses the day they issued the freqs to Clark and Plainfield as they are only 2 or 3 miles apart..LOL:p:p

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve, I responded. I sometimes forget that PM's are up there and forget to check them.
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.