Clarksville Radio System Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyB

Yep :).

Nobody seems to be able to fix it. They're still on NPSPAC frequencies as of this afternoon and seem to be having quite a bit of trouble communicating. I had a little extra time today and drove around town with the scanner to see how well the NPSPAC conventional frequencies could be received since there were lots of complains from officers stating that they couldn't hear dispatch -- I see why! Seems as though the repeaters for the NPSPAC frequencies are pretty weak and are nearly impossible to hear out toward I-24. Pretty crazy stuff.

Here's the line-up for anyone in the area who has a regular normal basic scanner who wants to try and monitor them:

866.0125 - NPSPAC TAC-1 - NCIC
866.5125 - NPSPAC TAC-2 - CPD District One / Bravo Units
867.0125 - NPSPAC TAC-3 - CPD District Two & Three / Charlie & Delta Units
867.5125 - NPSPAC TAC-4 - CPD District Three / Delta Units (used when a fourth dispatcher is working)

If this keeps up I guess we'll need to change the database :D.

Best I can tell the problem is an issue at dispatch, possibly with the microwave links (???). The data channel for the trunking system is still up and I think the fire department is still using the trunking system (fire department is not dispatched from the 911-center).

It's interesting when a system fails like this and is always interesting to see how well the back-up plan works. In this case, it seems like there is quite a bit of concern -- remember, Clarksville is very spread out in geographical area with very diverse terrain, so complete coverage for even a well planned out system is a challenge.

Last edited:

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Maybe they should switch over to the county system...
Oh that's right... totally different system!!!

Maybe they should switch back to the old VHF/UHF frequencies...
Oh that's right... they got rid of all that "outdated" and "outmoded" system for something new.

Oh the joy of "interoperability".

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Oh... by the way... I wonder if they realize that now everybody can "hear" them!!!

RandyB

Funny thing is, if you remember right, they HAD decent interoperability before about 2001-2002. All county and city radios were programmed pretty close to the same. All were UHF conventional ... ugh.

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
Cell phones to the rescue

Dispatchers may not be able to handle many administrative cell phone calls.

800 conventional tac repeaters are usually few and far between and have a range of only a few miles.

RandyB

BUMP!

It has happened again. This time the entire system is down. I'm listening to them on the NPSPAC conventional backup frequencies now.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
This will make an selling point for them to go to that PITA Homeland Security LTR Passport. Monitorable, but a pain to do so.

RandyB

They're back on trunking now. Interesting that this radio system failure seems to be coincident with a power outage at the New Providence substation, which I'm pretty sure serves the area of the site that the control channel transmits from (111 Stephanie Drive). I recall this being a problem prior to the installation of the EDACS system with the conventional frequencies about 10 years ago -- no power backup.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
In the infamous words of Nelson....

Attachments

• simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg
    simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,474
Status
Not open for further replies.