BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Class 10 MicroSD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

baayers

Since I travel with my 436 better safe than sorry I plan on picking up another MicroSD card so if something happens while I am away from my PC I can switch cards and continue using my scanner. At this point several local stores have Class 10 MicroSD cards on sale but the price is still almost double as several of the standard speed cards are on sale as well.

I am wondering if the 436 sees any real benefit from the faster card or will the performance be about the same?

I just don't see any reason to spend the extra if I'm not going to see any difference, however if it does have a benefit then I will pick up the class 10 and the one that came with the scanner will become a backup. Any input that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance who take the time to answer my question.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
For scanner use purposes I doubt anything practical is gained with the faster Class 10 card. About the only exception is if you have lots and lots of Favorites Lists, recordings, Discovery sessions and you are in a hurry to transfer them.

A Class 4 SanDisk card transfers 15 megabytes per second where the Class 10 transfers 30, or twice as fast.

The faster cards are more for digital photography purposes where someone shoots high resolution photos in rapid succession or does video.

Having the extra cards around is an excellent thing.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Staples put a 64GB Class 10 on sale a short while ago. Makes this Android tablet fly. I usually buy up so as to be able to use those same SD cards when upgrading a phone or other device. Just a thought. YMMV. HTH.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure about the Uniden scanners, but a larger card in the PSR 800 increases boot time. If you do a lot of recording, a larger card may be needed, but for just the database, my 800 doesn't come close to filling the standard card even with several V Scanner lists.

baayers

Thanks everyone for the feedback. In the 24 hours since I opened this thread the Class 10 that I was looking at dropped a little more and the Class 4 that was on sale has sold out. At first I was thinking about waiting to see if they get more in stock during the sale but I just got a $5.00 off my next $10+ purchase coupon in my email so that makes it only $9.00 to pick up a Samsung EVO 16GB card. That makes it only a dollar difference between the cards so i just grabbed one of the EVO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.