Clay County on a Uniden BCD436HP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

Hi,

Will a Uniden BCD436HP monitor the Clay County system? Looks like it, but before I pull the triggers and make the purchase, just thought I would ask.

best regards

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Will a Uniden BCD436HP monitor the Clay County system? Looks like it, but before I pull the triggers and make the purchase, just thought I would ask.

best regards
This is the P25 Phase I system for the county:

It is a six site simulcast:
1617594211187.png
Really, whether a 436HP will work is going to be a coin toss, other than if you are already there. If you were down in the southwestern corner area, very near the site shown in the Keystone Heights area, it might be strong enough to override the out of synch signals from the other sites farther north. Otherwise, unless someone in the county can confirm where they are, if they are having no problems, then I would lean towards 'no', a 436HP would not work. If you wanted to try one, order from a dealer that does not impose a large restocking/return fee, in case it does not do well.

You may have already read this:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

emcomm

Hello and thanks very much for responding. I am in Orange Park, and for the most part, looking for that general area to monitor on a daily basis within a 10 mile radius.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello and thanks very much for responding. I am in Orange Park, and for the most part, looking for that general area to monitor on a daily basis within a 10 mile radius.
If you were very close to that site just north of 'Orange Park' on the map, you might be able to use the 436HP. But unless really close, those other sites, scattered in different directions & distances could play havoc with reception. Hopefully, someone in your area will chime in on what works for them.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly when I had the 436 it was spotty depending where you are. I'll hear good than drops out. I even had trouble with other systems in Duval St Johns counties.

zlandmedia

not that florida man
I would honestly go for the SDS100 over the BCD436HP if you can. It's back in stock on Scanner Master right now.

The SDS100 has no issues decoding simulcast systems, so you could be anywhere and not have to worry about missing transmissions or precisely pointing a yagi antenna into that "sweet spot" to hear traffic.

emcomm

I would honestly go for the SDS100 over the BCD436HP if you can. It's back in stock on Scanner Master right now.

The SDS100 has no issues decoding simulcast systems, so you could be anywhere and not have to worry about missing transmissions or precisely pointing a yagi antenna into that "sweet spot" to hear traffic.
I may buy the SDS100 on your recommendation tomorrow. Another question--will the zip code "home patrol" function work well for Clay County or do you recommend me programming it myself? Thanks again.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I may buy the SDS100 on your recommendation tomorrow. Another question--will the zip code "home patrol" function work well for Clay County or do you recommend me programming it myself? Thanks again.
As soon as you get the scanner, be sure to update it's database. Actually, you can install Sentinel & start getting familiar with it while you wait for your radio to arrive. When shipped, the scanner's database is months, if not over a year out of date. The same with Sentinel when first installed. Update the database in Sentinel, then when the SDS100 arrives, write the updated database to the scanner.

Scanning using location & zip code will get you started, but long term, most people get better results by creating their own Favorites lists based on their personal interests. Remember that when shipped (or Sentinel is first installed), only the "Dispatch" service types for public safety are enabled for monitoring. (i.e. Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch). You should also enable the Tac and Talk service types (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc).

A better explanation of what to expect using location and range can be found here:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

There is an "Easier to Read" manual available to help you get started with Sentinel:

There's also one tailored for the x36HP series scanners:

Well over 90% of programming steps for the 436HP/536HP also apply to the SDS series scanners. So, reading posted comments on one model nearly always applies to the other scanners in the family. The most noticeable difference between the x36HP & SDS series scanners is the customizable display for the SDS scanners. You can also set a Site NAC for a trunked system in the SDS scanners, but not the x36HP series.

Here's the easier to read manual for the SDS scanners:

A number of other pages with useful information are in the Wiki.
Take a look at this one, and explore the multiple links on the pages.
SDS100 and SDS200 FAQ Page - The RadioReference Wiki

weshouldrun

I went with the SDS100 a year ago- 100% satisfied with the decision. Opted for the Remtronix antenna when ordered, works like a charm. I guess I lucked out as far as any hardware glitches. My objective was to listen to JFRD and Clay County Fire Rescue if lucky, and both are crystal clear. I'm only about 3 miles from the closest JFRD (transmitter?), and about 9 miles from Clay County's. From the area of I-10 and 295 ish, I've even heard St. Johns County when I tried last year, and that one's 18 miles away. Thank goodness for YouTube and this forum to work through the Sentinel setup and updates. "Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor" and "Select Service Types" are two of the menu items that, knowing next to nothing about scanners or scanning, I became VERY familiar with right off the bat. If you don't get those right, you won't hear much, or anything.

squall8ball

Feed Provider
If you were very close to that site just north of 'Orange Park' on the map, you might be able to use the 436HP. But unless really close, those other sites, scattered in different directions & distances could play havoc with reception. Hopefully, someone in your area will chime in on what works for them.
i am the broadcaster for the clay county site, and I live within 2 miles of the keystone heights site. I use a x436hp to broadcast that signal with no interference at all from other sites... however when I take my other 436hp out while driving around in the area, the signal bounces around and i don't always have complete signal on a tower. I haven't had a problem while stationary with the x436hp though. I hope this info helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.