Cleaning my Used Uniden BC RH96

Status
Not open for further replies.

al95

I brought a used BC RH-96 remote head last week. It came without the orignal vol/sq knobs so there was dirt build up inside the smaller replacement knobs. The silver knob had some dirt build up but was able to clean it up. I will be replacing all three knobs with new ones should get here by tommorrow. The top of the radio had some tape glue so had to clean it also. The mounting bracket knobs where aslo missing so had to buy them also. The total in parts $25.83 will post pictures tommorrow of new knobs install. The center pic is a screw I install to prevent dirt from entering the remote head. The last picture is remote head cleaned and ready for new knobs. The vol/sq knobs are very small compare to my new remte head and the line dont match up. In the pic the RH is off the knob looks like it is on postition.

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,250
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,152
  • image (2) - Copy.jpg
    image (2) - Copy.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,401
Last edited:

al95

The new knobs
tava6ejy.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Back in the day, I had a Lafayette crystal scanner that the outside was all scratched up. Took the shell off of it and repainted it bright red and we put it in our ambulance. Wonder how long until someone comes up with a new paint scheme for the newer hand held/mobile scanners.

KM4WLV

Back in the day, I had a Lafayette crystal scanner that the outside was all scratched up. Took the shell off of it and repainted it bright red and we put it in our ambulance. Wonder how long until someone comes up with a new paint scheme for the newer hand held/mobile scanners.

Mike it's funny you mention this........

I've got a BC346XT and a 396XT. Of course I'm more fond of subdued colors on my radio equipment. Guess I got that from all my years in emergency services. When I got the 346 I took the housing off and put it on the 396 since I carry it everyday & put the silver on the 346.

I've been debating on painting the silver housing black as well but not 100% sure on what paint will be the best. I'm wanting something that is flat because I don't like the shiny "clear coat" look. Any suggestions on paint anyone?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have had luck using a dentist's smorgasbord cleaning radios. Let me explain:

Dental tabs and hot water soaking will remove a lot of accumulated grime and crud from plastic and non-rusting metal parts. I had an IC-2800 microphone and control head that I bought from a smoker that had layers of smoke, spilled soda and other crud. I removed the plastic parts and soaked them in a jar of hot water and added a couple Efferdents and let them fizzle for a while. I rinsed them off and they looked factory fresh and smelled better.

I use toothpaste and a toothbrush to gently scrub off other parts. I have also had luck with toothpaste and a fingertip to remove some scratches from displays but be careful with this.

Dental tools can be useful in removing grime from knobs and other tight spaces. You can usually find these at hamfests, they are also useful in soldering and other electronic work.

Those small plastic picks are great at getting crud out of tight spaces and reduce the risk of scratches.

I have not had a lot of luck painting plastic parts, either as a repair or color change. I suppose I haven't tried the right paint. I would guess that model airplane paints should work well, at least better than the Rustoleum I have tried so far.

al95

yje6aqud.jpg

The top Remote Head is waiting for its new scanner BCD396XT, the middle remote head is connected to BCD396T, and the one is the BC15X

Status
Not open for further replies.