Cleaning up smoke smell-suggestions please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorpmuller

Hi all,

Just picked up a Kenwood R-2000 HF receiver on Ebay-of course the fact that the previous user was a smoker was convieniently left out. This could apply to any equipment though.

Since I'm a passionate anti-smoker-any whiff of smoke turns me as green as the grass outside-I could sure use whatever you folks have come up with to get rid of smoke smell on equipment, short of *****ing to the seller and returning an otherwise working receiver.

Thanks a lot,

Rich

pinetree

If the arm&hammer doesnt work use my old standby for when the kids got car sick. Ground coffee I would put the units in a box with the coffee and let it sit over night. The coffee should touch as much as possible the surfaces without getting into the works. The coffee should be fresh from the can or fresh ground to work the best.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Stinkenmeister and all,

Ordinary amoniated glass cleaner works wonders for removing oily smoke residue from the cabinet but INSIDE is another matter. For that there are commercial de-greaser compounds (dry cleaning fluid) but in any case be careful of plastic parts, test the stuff on an inconspicuous area first, and whatever you do avoid getting it into the display panel.

You may also seek advice at www.qrz.com since many hams are experts at restoring old equipment and getting rid of cigarette stink is often part of the process.

frankh

I'd go to the local pet supply place or pond supply place and get a couple pounds of activated charcoal. Put the charcoal in a paper bag or something that "breathes" and place both radio and this filter in something like a pail that seals really well. Give it a little bit of time, couple days or longer, then the ordor should be gone or greatly diminished. good luck.

Dorpmuller

Thanks for all the ideas-Lord J's is what I came closest to.

I removed both housing halves, knobs, etc., dunked everything except the electronics and washed it all with dish soap. Worked like a charm-the guts I won't mess with but I did clean as much of the inside chassis areas that I could, blew out dust, etc.

Now, while not completely gone, I can live with it as there is only a slight smell thru the case vents.

Rich

dagooch0525

Put it in a semi air tight container with an ionizer, if you can find one. In college I worked at a used car lot. We would leave the ionizer on inside the car over night to remove the smoke smell from the inside of traded cars. It seemed to work pretty well

cschmit

I had a guy repair an old stereo amp for me and he smoked very heavily so the first time I turned it on I could smell the smoke. Leaving the amp on for 5 day straight seemed to help. I think the heat of the electronics was enough to cook the smell off, lol. Oh and I let it sit in my garage during that time that way the smell wasn't in the house.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
glad you seemed to have solved your problem. just as an fyi - if you place a bowl of white vinegar as well as the item in a box and let sit for 24 hours. This works in cars as well. after 24 hours the smell is gone.

Joe

mkewman

start smoking.

hahahahaha... seriously though,

theres this stuff called "smells-b-gone" that works great too. pour it on a cloth and wipe your stuff down, then let it dry and use it.

I can't stand the smell of smoky radios, either. The worst is a smoker's microphone. As far as consumer electronics, I've used Windex and paper towels outside and (very carefully) inside with some success.

I've known people to run Motorola Mitreks through a dishwasher, innards and all, without a problem (no soap). I guess the secret is making sure the thing is absolutely dry before applying power. It's been suggested to place the dishwashed radios in an oven on very, very low heat for a couple hours to make sure. I've never been brave enough to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.