Cleveland Bank robbers used cell phone scanner apps to track police

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

They were caught, the feeds are delayed 1-2 minutes, and the radio scans all channels for CPD.

Yea, I don't think they got much intel from using a feed to further their efforts.

Seriously folks, these guys were caught by the police following their snow tracks....

EXACTLY my thoughts.

N8IAA

Ya'll are missing some points. Really big points: All newsgathering media, be it printed, or over the air use scanners and scanner apps to get to the scene of fires and crimes. When ever I talk to friends in public safety--including firefighters--the biggest gripe is how the 'newsgatherers' get to the scene before they can. And the fact that they hinder the process. Another point: We as listeners, can eliminate some of this. By not posting every TGID that is used for sensitive ops, by not posting everything we hear, and in doing this, help public safety to safely do their jobs. Do I like listening to all that goes on in my metro area, heck yeah. Do I go to every fire call or pd call, heck no. My hobby has been exciting and boring. I monitor a lot of different comms. Not all pd and fd. Hypocrasy in the news media is nothing new. Sensationalism sells news and the ratings go up when we click on a link, or change to that station to watch the watered down version of what they say is late breaking news:roll: All states have laws about using scanners or radios that can monitor public safety and are used in breaking the law.
Let's keep this real and not a rant on scanner apps. We are our own biggest enemies. Bad guys are not concerned with how they commit their crimes and the tools they use to assist in that endeavor.
Larry

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
When ever I talk to friends in public safety--including firefighters--the biggest gripe is how the 'newsgatherers' get to the scene before they can.

Sounds like a response time issue to me.

And the fact that they hinder the process.

Ask them to define hindering? Sure, there are bad media out there who get in the way, I've seen it. However, on the same token there are public safety officials who feel the media just showing up is hindering. I could name many examples against BOTH sides, but this is not what this thread is about. I would take what you hear from your public safety friends with a gain of salt. I doubt the news media was responsible for the bank robbery.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
Online scanner apps have little to do with agencies ENC. their radio traffic.

The push has come post 9/11.

Isolated incidents of scanner use by criminals has very little to do with it.

seems to me there are endless and pointless threads started everyday about online scanner apps and not being good for the hobby.Lets discuss something else

vinzep491

The push has come post 9/11.

Isolated incidents of scanner use by criminals has very little to do with it.

seems to me there are endless and pointless threads started everyday about online scanner apps and not being good for the hobby.Lets discuss something else

I AGREE with your last point - that this online scanner app debate is brought up way too much.

That being said, although we may not head about too many criminals using scanners or apps, that doesnt mean that the fact that these apps are available doesnt encourage ENC. In fact, I'm 100% sure they come into consiteration when an agency pushes for ENC. Yes, it has to do with 9/11 and officer safety as well, but to think that scanner apps havent been a part of the decision is stupid.
Anything that makes the audio more available is another reason for an agency to push enc.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it does. No police dept likes it when other people listen to them, but they can deal with it knowing it was only a very small amount of people listening. Now it is freely available to anyone with a smartphone (which includes pretty much everyone under the age of ~30).

Think of it this way; If you knew that 5 people at any given time were listening to your phone calls, you wouldn't like it, but you could deal with it because it was only 5 people. Then one of those 5 people decides to rebroadcast your phone calls over the internet to be heard by 5,000 people. My guess is that now you would have a real problem with it. This is exactly what is happening with these feeds and apps.

seems to me there are endless and pointless threads started everyday about online scanner apps and not being good for the hobby.
Perhaps that is because it IS bad for the hobby; In more ways than one.

It is bad for the reason I just explained above, and it is bad for the scanner industry in general (which in turn, is bad for our hobby). For our hobby to keep up with the times, we need the scanner manufacturer's to keep developing new scanners to keep pace with technology. As long as we keep buying them, they keep making newer and better scanners. Well why would somebody buy a ~$500 scanner when they can listen on their phone for free? I personally know two people who have older (<100 channel, analog) scanners who refuse to buy a new one and use the phone apps exclusively. I know they are not the only ones. If the revenue stop coming in, then the production and development of new, more advanced scanner will stop with it.

Bottom Line; I can see how the free feeds/apps have a negative effect on the scanning industry and our hobby, but I can't think of a single way it helps either one.

N1508J

It is &quot;more that just one point!!!

[/QUOTE]I think it is minus a lot more than just "1 point". If I was in LE and it was up to me to decide whether or not to go encrypted, this would be the only reason I need to justify it.

If they could give you the slip, then you must encrypt!!!

Accepting the fact some types of LE communications (drug, stings and warrants) should be in encrypt mode the greater need not be. However, those authorities desiring encryption may do so for incongruous reasons. Paramount of these reasons is solely to prevent the public from having knowledge of LE communications.

So far, two of my LE acquaintances have acknowledged that their departments brass have pushed for encryption but have been stifled due to budget restrictions. One of my LE friends prefers in the clear communications in that a motorist with a monitor might hear him call for help in an officer safety situation and render assistance before back-up could arrive. Apparently the brass has disregarded this possibility since it is unlikely to occur often enough to supersede the hysterical desire to encrypt.:roll:

Such Agencies have seized upon encryption as a panacea for the distasteful dilemma of public knowledge of the departments activities.
The public with scanners could hear if there is a critical situation in their immediate area and take precautions. The dubious premise that crooks could always give LE the slip by listening to their communications is tantamount to insulting their intelligence and training.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I love my Droid, Droid Does... ;] - and I love scanner feed apps, but this is just one more way of making it a little too easy for people to elude... even if the feeds are delayed...

GTO_04

I thought the Cleveland (VSELP) system was not scannable. Did they change to a new radio system that fast??? Something doesn't add up here.

GTO_04

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I thought the Cleveland (VSELP) system was not scannable. Did they change to a new radio system that fast??? Something doesn't add up here.

GTO_04

You're right... this is weird...

I think that whole thing about them having the scanner apps on their phones was just another lead for the news to follow, because obviously that system is not scannable.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
007 - I don't understand your question? They are being hosted just like any other stream. They are using a radio instead of a scanner.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Cleveland Feeds

I believe The Police Feed is provided by the City of Cleveland .....and they have a Non Scannable System ....I guess when the budget axe starts to fall - the cities realize they cant get funding for a Secret Police or Secret Fire Department. I applaud the City of Cleveland for providing this online. It allows ordinary citizens to hear where their tax dollars are spent. I am amazed at the FD's that run from the media ....and want to encrypt or hide their Communications. Embrace the Media - provide them with the Proper Information .....showcase your operations .....then it wont be so hard for the next tax levy.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
It's not, as noted above, someone has access to a "real" radio.

Oh, yeah I figured that, I was just thinking it was weird that it was in fact and actual radio associated with the system. But now I understand via jasonk's post below.

I believe The Police Feed is provided by the City of Cleveland

I too think it is weird that some fire departments and other public safety agencies decide to "hide" from the media. Pretty stupid because the business is 'public safety', the public should have the right to know whats going on. If they really provide the feed then this totally proves that hiding mentality wrong for Cleveland. They are pretty smart.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I believe The Police Feed is provided by the City of Cleveland .....and they have a Non Scannable System

Why would you think that? I highly doubt the 'City of Cleavland' is providing the feed. (if they were, wouldn't is be part of their web site?)

Just because scanners cannot listen to the VSELP system doesn't mean that is cannot be heard. If the transmissions are unencrypted then they can be heard on a used VSELP radio purchased on eBay/craigslist/etc. Whoever is hosting it is getting the audio from a VSELP radio.

hamopt

Premium Subscriber
Quote rpgbigman

I hope this opens a few eyes on Guys putting there scanners online.
One thing to put Air Traffic controllers, Fire EMS but Police Traffic is different. I hope who ever had there scanner on line feel bad about helping out the bad guys. no wonder every one wants to encrypt everything now.
Just my 2cents.

Well I don't feel bad for putting my feed online. It's the cell phone companies that are the big problem and the morons that make the scanner apps for the smartphones. And besides the feed has about a 30 second delay anyway. The robbers would be 30 second or more behind the police.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.