Cleveland co p25 seems to be a weak system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else seem to have a hard time monitoring this system.even when you drive in Shelby it seems to be weak. The RR datebase shows only one site but it you check fcc info on this site it shows 4 more. I can receive palmetto 800 in sc in shelby alot better than shelby.

Thanks David

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else seem to have a hard time monitoring this system.even when you drive in Shelby it seems to be weak. The RR datebase shows only one site but it you check fcc info on this site it shows 4 more.

RR database isn't built from FCC records but rather from verified listener reports. If you can verify the freqs and site numbers in use (possibly using Pro96Com) then please submit it so the database is updated for everyone.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I was over there this past Saturday didn't have a problem.

Heard Shelby and Boiling Springs Fire toned out to fires

Also heard the sheriff department assisting Cherryville PD with a chase.

David

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I guess i need to do some studying up on CQPSK modulation. Thanks

lands818

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else seem to have a hard time monitoring this system.even when you drive in Shelby it seems to be weak. The RR datebase shows only one site but it you check fcc info on this site it shows 4 more. I can receive palmetto 800 in sc in shelby alot better than shelby.

Thanks David
David-I'm at 1050' just inside Gaston County (Bessemer City) at home and rarely receive the Cleveland Co P25 system here with my SDS100 or 200. Granted, this is with upgraded unit mount antennas, but taking the 100 mobile I have found that I need to be pretty close to Shelby to get reliable coverage. My unscientific ~opinion~ has also been that the Cleveland system is a lot weaker than other area systems. Just my two cents worth...

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
David-I'm at 1050' just inside Gaston County (Bessemer City) at home and rarely receive the Cleveland Co P25 system here with my SDS100 or 200. Granted, this is with upgraded unit mount antennas, but taking the 100 mobile I have found that I need to be pretty close to Shelby to get reliable coverage. My unscientific ~opinion~ has also been that the Cleveland system is a lot weaker than other area systems. Just my two cents worth...

Thanks for the info

Quantar22

Something everyone is not looking at is Cleveland County is running highly directional transmit antennas on their outlier sites to focus the RF back into the county where it is needed most. Their system is designed for in county coverage so their antenna patterns are setup to achieve this purpose. Their base stations are no different than any other P25 Phase I Motorola Simulcast. Their system is maintained by very competent people and it has served them well for over a decade now.

KN4HTC

Something everyone is not looking at is Cleveland County is running highly directional transmit antennas on their outlier sites to focus the RF back into the county where it is needed most. Their system is designed for in county coverage so their antenna patterns are setup to achieve this purpose. Their base stations are no different than any other P25 Phase I Motorola Simulcast. Their system is maintained by very competent people and it has served them well for over a decade now.

That would explain why it seems so "weak" then? Not that it's actually a weak system but that the majority of the RF energy is being directed into the county? And since it's a standalone system as opposed to something like VIPER or Charlotte's UASI, there's no need for it to cover beyond the county?

Quantar22

That would explain why it seems so "weak" then? Not that it's actually a weak system but that the majority of the RF energy is being directed into the county? And since it's a standalone system as opposed to something like VIPER or Charlotte's UASI, there's no need for it to cover beyond the county?

Exactly. Each system can be tailored to cover a specific geographic area not only by strategic site placement/design (physical location, tower height, etc.) but also by selecting different antenna models. Antennas can have directional patterns or even employ either electrical or mechanical downtilt as well. The biggest thing is what area needs to be served well. In the case of the standalone Cleveland County system they do not need to send RF outside their county so they concentrate it within it's borders as best they can. This might also be a consideration of the FCC/APCO grants on the license for short spacing with other Co-channel users. Hope this helps some.

lands818

Premium Subscriber
Exactly. Each system can be tailored to cover a specific geographic area not only by strategic site placement/design (physical location, tower height, etc.) but also by selecting different antenna models. Antennas can have directional patterns or even employ either electrical or mechanical downtilt as well. The biggest thing is what area needs to be served well. In the case of the standalone Cleveland County system they do not need to send RF outside their county so they concentrate it within it's borders as best they can. This might also be a consideration of the FCC/APCO grants on the license for short spacing with other Co-channel users. Hope this helps some.
Quantar22, thanks for an excellent explanation! Even as a ham operator that uses directional antennas and the minimum TX power to establish reliable communications, it's easy to lose sight of the same practices when scanning public safety as a listener. (And losing sight of the explanation you gave...good practices in a crowded RF world...is exactly what I did!)

kg4pbd

Interesting that I can receive the Cleveland county system on a G5 with stock antenna, in south Charlotte, I must be 40 + miles away. I have to be upstairs, and I can't hold the radio in my hand without losing the CC, but I can set it down and it does fine.

WeBeCinYa

Cleveland county is very directional. I used to pick them up when I lived in Tryon (30 miles away), and I lived up on a hill. I moved to Lake Norman area and I too can pick them up on my G5 in my upstairs bedroom but I have to have my head turned a certain way. I have been meaning to try an exterior directional yagi antenna with my SDS200 to see if I could get a better signal from their Cherryville site.

Status
Not open for further replies.