Cleveland County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdkiser75

Last month I purchased the Radio Shack Pro-106 to monitor the Cleveland County Project 25 system. I have programmed my scanner with all ten frequencies list at Radio Reference. I live about one mile from the Shelby site. However I often get garbled voice transmissions with my signal indicator at full strength. This even has happened when I have drove with the scanner in town in plain sight of the tower. A gentleman at the local Radio Shack stated he is aware of this happening and suggested an external antenna despite the fact my signal indicator is full strength. Is there a specific order the frequencies need to be in or what? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
1) More times than not you can disregard most statements that come
out of a Radio Shack Sales Droids mouth. He is bound to only know
which cellphones are on sale this month. He is almost certainly not
going to know anything about communications & scanners.

2) If I was Pete Rose and a betting man (not that Pete Rose was ever one) I would
bet that your issue is Simulcast digital distortion.

Marshall KE4ZNR

cdkiser75

I agree, I explained to him I was in plain sight of the tower and he tried to push that magnet mount multi band antenna they have been selling for years claming that would solve my problems.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I agree, I explained to him I was in plain sight of the tower and he tried to push that magnet mount multi band antenna they have been selling for years claming that would solve my problems.

That antenna is pretty decent for VHF/UHF but not what you need for your issue.
Of course he wants to sell more stuff. :)
Right now all you can do is experiment and see
what may help your reception issues other than
spending more money at Radio Shack.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
//off topic

Rose admits to betting on Reds 'every night' - MLB - ESPN

//on topic

I agree with Marshall, it is likely your case.

The way the Cleveland county system is designed, the terrain may help you as you move, but you will likely encounter this elsewhere.

You just totally ruined my faith in the innocence of the game!!!
Even though I was being sarcastic in my 1st post I can't really
believe Ol' Pete wagered on the game!!
Next thing you will tell me is something wacky like Canseco, McGwire, and Clemens
were all roiders!! :D
Back on topic :lol:
Marshall KE4ZNR
(Who still believes in Shoeless Joe's innocence).

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll contiue to try and see what works best

Please keep us updated on how things go with your situation :)

I wish I had a magic answer for ya.

Unfortunately, radio monitoring issues rarely have an
easy answer/solution.

Marshall KE4ZNR

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I totally agree with Marshall

I have had people come to me asking about why they are having trouble monitoring public safety in there area.

I ask what they have programmed into there scanners, and they pull out this page of odd ball frequencies. I have to ask were did you get this.

There reply is I was given the list from the Radio Shack saleman when I bought the scanner. I have to laugh, because 90% of waht they give to a scanner buyer is wrong

I wind up reprogramming the scanner and the person is happy, because they can now listen to what is going on unlike before.

Radio Shack is a pretty decent place to buy scanners, but don't let them program it for you.

Just my thoughts

David

jthorpe

Radio Shack is a joke these days. The salesmen are annoying as all get out, and don't know squat. It used to be you could go in there and talk to someone knowledgeable, but not anymore. As for the cellphone statement, how true!!! Since they got into the cellphone business, everything else has gone downhill. The last one I went to had TWO scanners in there, and ZERO antennas for cb's and such. 90% of the store was cellphone garbage. They suck.

Drafin

Just for grins try running that whole system with attenuator active. If you are that close to the tower it could be overloading.

Just a thought and may not help, but it's worth a try before investing anymore money in antennas and such.

If that doesn't help radio shack sells a decent 800mhx antenna that replaces the stock one. I am running that Shack antenna and it is a pretty decent one from my personal experience.

Draf

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
You are correct!

I used to deal with RS alot for minor electronic parts.

I have noticed a lot of the stores in the malls are the worse for not having anything. I usually drive an additional 6 miles to a free standing store in a strip mall to find what I need.

Most stores have quit carrying items like that. I even tell the sales people in the stores I visit they need to start carrying the Digital versions of there scanners.

They look at me and ask "what for" I then start telling them about the state Viper System. Then they drop there jaw and advise me they have never heard of the statewide system.

As far as parts and antennas, I reopened my account with Tessco. They are a true Two-way radio parts supplier.

David

cdkiser75

Thanks guys, I do have th 800 mhz antenna from Radio Shack and it does a decent job. I'll try and some the things suggested and see what happens

reconrider8

You are correct!

I used to deal with RS alot for minor electronic parts.

I have noticed a lot of the stores in the malls are the worse for not having anything. I usually drive an additional 6 miles to a free standing store in a strip mall to find what I need.

Most stores have quit carrying items like that. I even tell the sales people in the stores I visit they need to start carrying the Digital versions of there scanners.

They look at me and ask "what for" I then start telling them about the state Viper System. Then they drop there jaw and advise me they have never heard of the statewide system.

As far as parts and antennas, I reopened my account with Tessco. They are a true Two-way radio parts supplier.

David
even asked a guy pretending not to know what he was talking about why didnt they have any digital radios he said because there isnt any digital transmissions going on around us all the time thinking to myself that there are counties close to us that are digital and the whole state will be digital soon

cdkiser75

I've set my attenuator active and turned off my multi sites in the hopes to lock on to just one tower. I'll let you know how this works

cdkiser75

Wirelessly posted (MOT-ZN4/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.597 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

While moving around the county I have turned both the atten and multi-site off on my RS pro 106 and this seems to help. I still experience some garbled transmission but this does seem to reduce it. I tried turning on the atten. and sometimes the scanner doesn't even pick up anything. Any other suggestions i'll gladly try.

Status
Not open for further replies.