Cleveland County/Shelby PS system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dswarlickjr

I'm running a Uniden Bearcat BCD996XLT and downloaded the system from here, RR, and cannot hear anything. Anyone have any suggestions? Reasons? I pick up stuff on the old vhf frequencies, both sides of the conversation, but nothing on the new P25 Simulcast system, not a thing.

Really interested in hearing from someone with hands on experience with this system.

dswarlickjr

New Frequencies??

I located a totally different set of frequencies than the ones listed here for the Cleveland County PS system in the same 800 Mhz bandwith. Some registered to Shelby Cith and Some to Cleveland County. I have created new "sites" as best as I could because I don't know how to do the "apco band plan" part. I use freescan with the scanner.
Why would RR have the new system posted here with totally different frequencies than I found on the FCC data base for their system? would they have changed them recently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

W3DMV

I was interested in you post and took a look to see what I could find..

The last time the Cleveland/Shelby DB list was updated was in May 2012. That's
a long time ago.
I looked up all the frequencies listed and I think there are two separate systems
combined in the list. It would be very unlikely that half a system would be listed under
one agency and the remainder under another name.
The info in the database is from information submitted by various listeners and
sometimes is incorrect. Once in awhile we get lucky and someone who helped
install the system, or the county director is nice enough to submit the correct
list.

The following belong to the City of Shelby
WPJR980

The following belong to County of Cleveland
WPUC453

You might try programming them as two separate trunked systems and see how
that works. I also see the county has a lot of conventional frequencies that
are current and narrow band. Sorry I'm to far away to help monitor to see if
those are active...

... Good luck

dswarlickjr

Thank you

I really appreciate your reply. I wish someone closer who monitored this system would speak up. they are on those internet scanner rebroadcast sites so someone is picking them up. I found the FCC data in the links listed below and it doesn't reflect any of the RR frequencies at all.
My Mom lives there and I'm about 35 driving miles away so I try to listen in. It really frustrated me when I took the receiver mobile the other day and it didn't pick up squat so that's when I started digging.
I programmed in the two list in as separate sites but is that all I need to enter? What about the "apco band plan" field? Is that important? I use Freescan.

For Cleveland County I found:

InterceptRadio.com FCC lookup for WQRK809

And for Shelby I found:

InterceptRadio.com FCC lookup for WPJR980

reconrider8

a sure way to find the sites and info is next time your up that way is search the 800 band and when you hit a cc do some research to se if its viper or something in the county then when you find new correct info submit it into the db and get it updated for the next listener that has the same problem thats how we all keep each other uptodate on changes

Yep

The information (Freq.'s/CC's/Talkgroups) listed here are 100% correct. Double check your scanner. The system is owned by Cleveland County with the City of Shelby as users. The City of Shelby owned a system prior to the Cleveland County P25 system. All 10 frequencies are now used on the Cleveland County System, with 5 belonging to CC and 5 belonging to the City of Shelby. 853.7250 is the current active Control Channel.

Yep

The link you posted above for The City of Shelby is correct for the 5 frequencies that belong to the city (WPJR980). The link for the County is incorrect(WQRK809). That is 2 frequencies that are not on the trunking system. The correct license for the county is WPUC453.

kd8x

The listing in RR is correct. This is a pure p25 system. you must make sure you have it programmed as p25 standard...not moto/p25...also set level to 50 and mode setting to 8..under advanced settings...I hear this system all the time no problems....

Quantar22

OP I notice you say you live in Morganton... The Cleveland Simulcast uses directional antennas at its perimeter sites to keep the signal within the confines of the county as best it can... You will not have much luck receiving it in Morganton.

Yep

OP I notice you say you live in Morganton... The Cleveland Simulcast uses directional antennas at its perimeter sites to keep the signal within the confines of the county as best it can... You will not have much luck receiving it in Morganton.

This is correct, the closest tower to you would be the Benn Knob tower. It has directional panel antennas that are down tilted toward Cleveland County. Coverage is very poor on the back side of the tower.

dswarlickjr

Still having issues

I went to my moms today and scanned several ways and found that if I were to tune in the Cleveland County Sheriff, Shelby Police or EMS Dispatch I could hear them by manually listening on their ID but then while a conversation that I knew was going to go on longer I would start scaning and it would totally miss the active conversation. What am I doing wrong??

dswarlickjr

Nope, no TGIDs locked out. Is the fact that its a "simulcast" system make a difference? No TGIDs locked out, I've downloaded the system with FreeScan from RR and than onto my BCD966XT and its really weird, I know they're talking, just nothing stopping the scanner on "scan". The only way I hear anything is tune in the TGID manually. It did, while I was scanning, pick up two voice transmissions of TGIDs that were not programmed in the memory, trash trucks I think, but its just odd that the ones that programmed in it are talking and are not locked out but are for all intents and purposes unscannable??

Quantar22

It being a simulcast makes a huge difference. Scanners have a difficult time with simulcast overlap. Read up on the various threads on here as to how people solve the problem. Generally it is by pointing a directional type yagi antenna at one site.

Status
Not open for further replies.