Cleveland, OH - Cleveland proposes merger of public safety radio systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf8yk

MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS The City of Cleveland has proposed a partnership with the Southwest Regional Communication Network to merge radio systems.

The partnership would increase the functionality and coverage of public safety portable radios, said Jeffery Minch, assistant to Mayor Gary Starr.

Minch reported on the possible merger to City Council after attending a meeting of the communication network council of governments. The COG includes Middleburg Heights, Berea, Brook Park, Parma Heights, Strongsville, North Royalton, Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township.

Full story:

Cleveland proposes merger of public safety radio systems with Middleburg Heights and other cities | cleveland.com

DickH

won't happen. too many kings and queens protecting too many small minded serfs protecting their own little fiefdoms. regionalization is a political killer around here.

Perhaps I'm not reading it correctly, but it seems as if it only involves radio equipment and has no effect on personnel, which is where the fiefdom problems arise. It sounds like a win situation all around.

cleveland has always been by its self and i can't see them doing this.the southwest system only has one tower at pearl and boston road.it would be nice if it did but not going to get my hopes up.i have a hard time monitoring that system if cleveland did it would be great but were see.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
My 2 cent's

Isn't this the system that Strongsville Pd uses? Aren't they encrypted now? If so wouldn't that mean that the City of Cleveland would follow their lead and go with Encryption also? I mean after all they are already on a system that we in the scanner hobby can't listen to today without a computer and some software anyways, right? So why is this a win - win situation? Why wouldn't they pay the price and use the new county system when it becomes completely functional? I don't live out there but I listen as I drive the Tollroad, maybe I'm totally wrong with my thoughts and if I am I am sure y'all will let me know!

I am adding this after the fact. I just came across it. Kind of covers what I just asked on this thread if anyone is interested.
http://forums.radioreference.com/ohio-radio-discussion-forum/228913-cpd-talks-merge-swrcn.html

Last edited:

Swipesy

Scott, you have it 100% correct. Not only is Strongsville encrypted but so is Middleburg Hts., Parma Hts. Pd's. This would be a disaster for Northeast Ohio scanner listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.