Cleveland, OH - Radio System Fails Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cousinkix1953

Cleveland was one of the first to spend million of $$$ on fancy new trunked radios in the 90s. I read a big article in Popular Communications about them going encrypted 24/7365. Scanners were history too. And now that thing is falling apart.

I'm lucky to live in a place; where the police and fire departments are still using good old reliable VHF / UHF analog radios and conventional repeaters. Some of those systems been active for 40 years and not even their FCC callsigns have changed since the days of cheap tunable Patrolman radios. Nothing is scrambled except some of those federal and state agencies...

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Cleveland was one of the first to spend million of $$$ on fancy new trunked radios in the 90s. I read a big article in Popular Communications about them going encrypted 24/7365. Scanners were history too. And now that thing is falling apart.

15 or so years of use and it's time for a new system? Doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me..

I find this very interesting:

Since last February, the Cleveland Safety Department recognized the problem and received $30-50 million dollars from Homeland Security to upgrade the system.

The city did take proposals from companies to overhaul the system, but recently turned them all down.

Wonder what that's all about..

Status
Not open for further replies.