Cleveland OH - Vendor protests plan to spend $2 million on digital Motorola radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

If everyone did not see a xts model on every law enf show they would have went with the cheaper radios, imo

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Its much eaiser to field a large fleet with common batteries, antenna's, accessories etc than having a very diverse inventory.

Boatanchor

Motorola do make very good gear, but it is in no ones interest (aside from Motorola's possibly) for one company to have a monopoly on the digital LMR market. In the end, when you force competitors out of the market, what do you think will happen to the price of Motorola equipment and servicing costs?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Motorola do make very good gear, but it is in no ones interest (aside from Motorola's possibly) for one company to have a monopoly on the digital LMR market. In the end, when you force competitors out of the market, what do you think will happen to the price of Motorola equipment and servicing costs?

Have you seen Motorola's new high tier radio costs, and the flat rate pricing? Its already scary. Sadly to say, Harris's pricing is about the same for simialar equipment.

Does anyone know exactly what model Motorola radio Cleveland is going to buy? Is it the XTS5000 or one of the APX series radios?

I do not know, but my good educated guess will be something in the APX series. They have released and/or annouced a few new models to the line that essentially will end the XTS line. My guess is that XTS will go away by the end of the year. The 5000's have been out for quite some time now (only seems like yesterday) so between the line going aways, and a longer life span (being new) of the APX series would only make sense.

MotorolaDave

I do not know, but my good educated guess will be something in the APX series. They have released and/or annouced a few new models to the line that essentially will end the XTS line. My guess is that XTS will go away by the end of the year. The 5000's have been out for quite some time now (only seems like yesterday) so between the line going aways, and a longer life span (being new) of the APX series would only make sense.

That was my guess as well.

jackj

Cheaper too

Its much eaiser to field a large fleet with common batteries, antenna's, accessories etc than having a very diverse inventory.
Maintenance costs are less too. Just because you have lowest bid doesn't mean you will win the bid. Government agencies have the ability to choose another vendor if the lowest bidder isn't able to meet the agency's needs. And it is the agency who decides, not the vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.