Cleveland Police Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsapatka

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to Cleveland Police Operations for some time now and noticed that the audio seems to be interrupted during transmission. The dispatcher will be giving info to officers, and in the middle of it there is a audio interruption. Is this due to the channels being simulcasted? Is there a fix for this?

gsapatka

Premium Subscriber
No priority seem to be set. I do notice that the P25 also flashes on/off during the transmission drop.

budevans

If the drop out is not from having a Priority set, then the most likely cause would be a Simulcast (null) issue. You should try moving your scanner to other locations to see if that resolves your issue. Even a small move can make a difference.

What make and model scanner are you using? The reason I ask is, depending on the make and model there are usually settings on the scanner that you can try adjusting.

One last thing. The Whistler TRX scanners have a Squelch setting issue with regards to P25. If I set the Squelch above the 9 O'clock position, it kills my reception of P25 systems. It doesn't affect Analog, DMR or NXDN, just P25. I monitor all three P25 systems in Cuyahoga County and the Squelch kills them all. I live just a quarter of a mile from Cleveland GCRCN Schaaf Road tower, two and a half miles from MARCS-IP and three miles from Parma P25. So signal strength isn't the issue, they all come in at a full 5 bars of signal strength.

gsapatka

Premium Subscriber
it seems to be the same issue on my BCD436 and BCD536. Squelch is set to zero, and it does not seem to matter as to base station antenna or mobile rubber duckie. i'm on the westside of Cleveland, so signal strength is 4-5 bars. Analog does not seem to be affected, such as Independence Police and such, only seems to be the simulcast ones through the GCRCN.

budevans

it seems to be the same issue on my BCD436 and BCD536. Squelch is set to zero, and it does not seem to matter as to base station antenna or mobile rubber duckie. i'm on the westside of Cleveland, so signal strength is 4-5 bars. Analog does not seem to be affected, such as Independence Police and such, only seems to be the simulcast ones through the GCRCN.

It's sounding like it's a Simulcast issue. You can adjust the P25 decode to see if you can reduce or totally eliminate the drop outs.

If you have the Cleveland system setup as a Favorites List, here are the steps to the settings.

Open Sentinel - Click on (select) the Cleveland Favorites List.
Click on Edit - Edit Favorites List or the Yellow Star with the pencil in the center.
The Select Favorites List Window should open. Select the Cleveland system.
Favorites List Editor should open. Click on the + sign(s) the Department listings should be shown.
The Site for Cleveland should be the last one on the bottom. Click on it.
You should see tabs Frequencies and then Options to the right.
Click on Options. Look for Digital Threshold Mode and Digital Threshold Level.
Digital Threshold Mode has three settings Auto - Manual - Default.
Select Manual. Save your changes, connect your scanner and down load to your scanner.
Monitor to see if there is an improvement. If there is no change, you can go back in and try changing the Digital Threshold Settings.

If you still have issues, you should go to the Uniden forums and post there. There are a lot of experienced folks there that may be able to help you.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I have been listening I only have 2 bars but works fine. I did notice that some of the districts dispatchers unkey the mic and pause while dispatching. What is your delay time to wait for more traffic before scanning on?

gsapatka

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe it is a delay issue. This seems to happen mid transmission, dispatch will be reading off an address, SOC, of some other info and there will be a drop in the middle of the info broadcast. I have the scanner set to light on squelch, so I know they are still transmitting, but audio drops out.

I have noticed the P25/DAT/LNK will change at the bottom of the screen, does this mean anything towards the problem?

I'm gonna try adjusting the digital threshold mode that budevans mentioned and see if that helps.

budevans

I don't believe it is a delay issue. This seems to happen mid transmission, dispatch will be reading off an address, SOC, of some other info and there will be a drop in the middle of the info broadcast. I have the scanner set to light on squelch, so I know they are still transmitting, but audio drops out.

I have noticed the P25/DAT/LNK will change at the bottom of the screen, does this mean anything towards the problem?

I'm gonna try adjusting the digital threshold mode that budevans mentioned and see if that helps.

Loss of data. You're still getting enough signal to keep the channel open. But the data (voice traffic) is gone or has become unreadable by the scanner.

That very much sounds like the same issue I sometimes have with the Parma P25 system. The signal is a constant 5 bars, but the audio will just disappear and then a few seconds later come back. In Parma's case, they are aware of the issue. It happens to the officers in the field and also to the dispatchers. So there's nothing that I can fix on my end. Parma has to find a fix.

In your case, it could be that you are in an area where Nulls occur. Nulls are dead spots that occur when multiple signals overlap and cancel each other out. The Nulls tend to move around, they are affected by the weather. In some cases you may be able to move your scanner to another location to see if it resolves or at least reduces the issue. Sometimes moving the scanner just a couple of inches makes a difference. You may have to experiment.

The other thing you should try is adjusting the Threshold Settings. That might make a difference.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I find using the analyze function with GCRN helps with antenna placement. Just last week stopped receiving and had to move the antenna about 4 inches south.

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
Which regionals are for downtown? How are the regional talkgroups assigned between the 5 districts?

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
I have the districts. The regional talkgroups go from 1 through 32. The map has more then 32 "sub-districts" on it and none of them are marked 1-32. Any ideas?

Jerry

SCPD

QRT
I'm not sure they are assigned. I've heard various districts all over the place. I hear feds on TG 56031 Reg 3 right now.

just monitor all Regional talkgroups you never know who's on what channel i do monitor all of them and Event 1&2 also monitor the area coms

Status
Not open for further replies.