clicking on conventional channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
One of the conventional channels in my area that I follow has been clicking lately. What I mean by that it about every 5 second stops on the channel for 1 second and I hear a static click, then resumes scanning and repeats. Its the standard click you hear at the end of a transmission. I doesn't do it non stop, but it does it most days for several hours. Any ideas on how to stop this? Thanks.

KV4BL

Hi Kevin! Does the conventional channel in question have a PL code for the agency or service that you monitor on it? Can you scanner do PL decode?

What I am getting at is whether or not the click is encoding a PL (or DPL) tone or not. If not, and you can enable PL decode on your scanner, this should fix the problem. If the click is encoding that PL or if your scanner is not PL capable, we may have to look for "Plan B".

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I have put in the PL code for the channel, working so far. Should I go ahead and put in the PL codes for all the channels. I'm not familiar with these tones, if the beginning of the transmission is missed by my scanner, will I not hear any of it because it missed the tone, or is it something in the background of the transmission?

KV4BL

Oh crud! Sorry it is clicking again. If you have the correct tone, and the scanner is of good design, you shouldn't miss more than a piece of a syllable over what you would normally miss when in scan mode. PL is one of the best things to be added to conventional scanners ever, IMHO. They allow for eliminating so many sources of unwanted noise and breaks of the squelch.

I can't imagine why the clicking would have a PL encoded into it unless there may be a malfunction with the repeater or someone is playing with the repeater, kerchunking it. I cannot imagine anyone kerchunking a repeater for several hours each day, though. Some of the non-Moto trunking systems will key up on the voice channels on a regular basis, similar to what you describe, but they do this all day, every day. Also, AFAIK, they don't encode a PL when set up like this.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Also, what part of the country are you in and what is the frequency? We may be able to get a clue from that info.

Oh yeah, regarding your question on the tones, they are encoded continuously as long as the repeater, base, mobile, or ht, is transmitting. If your scanner happens to hit a PL'd channel where you have the tone set, it will stop and begin picking up the transmission, same as it would if you were not using PL.

Last edited:

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I am listening to Ohio University Police in Athens, OH. Frequency is 155.25000, tone is 179.9. Im assuming tone listed on the database and pl code are the same, am i right? I input it as the CTCSS code on the scanner.

KV4BL

If the info on here is accurate, then that is the tone you needed to put in. I have to run take care of some errands right now, but will try and check on this a little later on. I hope someone in your area will come on here and offer some insight.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Do you mean like another agency, because there are several, none that I follow are transmitting when the issue occurs. If you mean personal radios, then no.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps the system you are listening to has a problem with it, and it's keying itself up. If it has voted receivers, maybe there is a link that is having problems. In that case, you just need to deal with it or lock it out.

ecps92

He likely meant another scanner or radio near-by, sometimes the two radios can fight each other, even my Car Radio can cause channels to lock-up

Do you mean like another agency, because there are several, none that I follow are transmitting when the issue occurs. If you mean personal radios, then no.

wtp

radio question

yep i meant a near-by scanner. sometimes the if signal is picked up by another radio.
you answered the wi-fi which was my next question. now about computers, they usually generate noise but it would be constant.
i guess its time to start turning things off until, i hope, you find it, now a days it could even be a toaster.

SCPD

QRT
Kevin, if you bought the scanner new you should have a cable that will plug into your cig lighter in a car. Take the scanner out, you can still use the stock antenna, plug the cable into the scanner then the cig lighter outlet and see if the problem still exists. This will eliminate electrical interference you might have in your residence, if this interference still exists it's one less source. I would then drive to the other side of town and see if this is still happening, if so, I would check the database to see what frequencies are relatively close to this frequency. By any chance, you don't have close call activated.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I have eliminated some possibilities. I know it is not wifi, CATV interference (disconnected from wall), computer speakers, tv, surround sound system, and my computer. I do not have a car on campus so I cannot try the car outlet test anytime soon. Any other ideas?

KV4BL

I can't figure out what he is getting, either. If, as he says, he has the PL decode on his scanner set properly, whatever is doing the clicking (or kerchunking) must be encoding that tone, since he is still hearing it with the PL set. That would tend to rule out most household appliances and things of that nature.

SCPD

QRT
Kevin, what is the frequency you are monitoring in Athens ? Does your college have a radio station on campus ? Do you have an intercom system in your dorm ?

Mike_G_D

To the OP - in your signature you show two scanners, a Uniden 996XT and a RS Pro-106 with the later having "need repair" in parenthesis. So, just for the record, are you experiencing this "clicking" on the 996XT since I assume you are not using the Pro-106?

Also, when you just hang on the frequency in question - park the scanner on that channel and just hold it there, do you still hear the clicking or is it only when the scanner is scanning (e.g. the scanner stops on the channel and "clicks" briefly, then goes quiet and moves on)?

If you can hear that clicking all of the time while parked on that channel (not scanning) then I am thinking it may be some form of LTR system which uses that channel as one of its voice channels. Now, I'm not sure why it would still come through if you have the CTCSS or DCS enabled, however, although sometimes the subaudible data on the LTR signal can false CTCSS tone decoders and cause them to open on certain frequencies.

Otherwise, if you're only hearing the clicking while scanning then I have another idea but it really only applies to the Pro-106 and not the 996XT.

So let me know which radio you are using that is doing this and, if possible, try multiple receivers even if you have to borrow another working one from a friend to confirm what you are hearing (different make and models are best for confirmation).

-Mike

ecps92

Maybe the Priority is on and that is what is being called clicking ?

To the OP - in your signature you show two scanners, a Uniden 996XT and a RS Pro-106 with the later having "need repair" in parenthesis. So, just for the record, are you experiencing this "clicking" on the 996XT since I assume you are not using the Pro-106?

Also, when you just hang on the frequency in question - park the scanner on that channel and just hold it there, do you still hear the clicking or is it only when the scanner is scanning (e.g. the scanner stops on the channel and "clicks" briefly, then goes quiet and moves on)?

If you can hear that clicking all of the time while parked on that channel (not scanning) then I am thinking it may be some form of LTR system which uses that channel as one of its voice channels. Now, I'm not sure why it would still come through if you have the CTCSS or DCS enabled, however, although sometimes the subaudible data on the LTR signal can false CTCSS tone decoders and cause them to open on certain frequencies.

Otherwise, if you're only hearing the clicking while scanning then I have another idea but it really only applies to the Pro-106 and not the 996XT.

So let me know which radio you are using that is doing this and, if possible, try multiple receivers even if you have to borrow another working one from a friend to confirm what you are hearing (different make and models are best for confirmation).

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.