• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Clifton Labs Z10023A BCB Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for some reason, I removed my ICE BCB filter inline with my Perseus SDR. I was experimenting with a couple of filters several months ago and (I guess) I removed all of them to prevent any signal loss. Well that proved to be a bad strategy.

Here's what my HF spectrum looked like with no filter:

You can clearly see the 3-4 Mhz "hash" that is developed due to the MW signals overloading the Perseus SDR.

The broad (40Mhz view) isn't very accurate... here's a zoomed-in 10Mhz view:

Here's a view of my older ICE 402X High Pass Filter:

As you can see from the above, it does "something" although the attenuation isn't steep enough and there's very little insertion loss until about 1.2 Mhz -- the top end of the band is still blasting through.

Here are a couple of pictures of the ICE 402X filter:

After some online searching, I found several BCB filters. Prices were fairly steep. One costs $195 and the other $225 with a 3-week wait.

Andy Ikin of Wellbrook recommended I talk to Jack Smith @ Clifton Labs. After several emails, Jack steered me in the right direction. He also added a BNC female instead of the usual SO-239 connector. This way I can use a short BNC jumper to my Perseus and rid myself of another RF adapter. It's a very clean, professional design.

The Z10023A Elliptical Filter:

...and check out the results:

Wideband:

And zoomed-in at 10 Mhz:

So if you're not hearing any signals in the lower HF frequency range AND you live in a suburban environment where AM BCB signals are very strong then you may want to consider a filter. It could possibly improve your reception.

Clifton Laboratories Home

Last edited:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I made one years ago, it looked like a copy of your original one. I had a nearby station with ground issues that was amazingly strong and it cured my problems completely, until they redid their antennas. I guess it's still around here someplace. I could hear everything before I got it, but I could also hear either a pulsing "hash" or the audio from the station in the background all over the dial, in every receiver I had, except for my NRD-515. The station took almost 3 years to fix the problem. At it's worst, i got about an S-9 signal with no antenna of any kind, and just touching anything would peg the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.