Clinton PD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioMarkW

When monitoring Clinton PD I have been having trouble understanding some of the coms, it sounds as if the moble units may be going in and out with some kind of incription. Are they using some kind of encription or am I getting crossover from anouther user.

The base coms seem fine.

Mark

mws72

Premium Subscriber
RadioMarkW said:
When monitoring Clinton PD I have been having trouble understanding some of the coms, it sounds as if the moble units may be going in and out with some kind of incription. Are they using some kind of encription or am I getting crossover from anouther user.

The base coms seem fine.

Mark

Rolling code scrambling. They have been doing it for years. Some time when you listen you can just make out they are saying.

In the old old days they used the donald duck voice inversion type on 37.100 Which I was told every one in Eastern Iowa had to endure.

RadioMarkW

Thanks, I was wondering what was going on. Clinton seems to be the only town along the river that does this. I guess that is good odds!

Mark

Use to hear rolling code inversion on Purple from time to time also.

I think I have a couple of catches of it on CIS too but I'd have to dig through my old logs to see for sure.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Declared_Hostile said:
Use to hear rolling code inversion on Purple from time to time also.

I think I have a couple of catches of it on CIS too but I'd have to dig through my old logs to see for sure.

The kind that Clinton uses is rolling code voice inversion and the DCI uses rolling code DES, at least that is what I was told. I have noticed more digital transmissions on the simplex channels of the Iowa DPS.

mws72 said:
The kind that Clinton uses is rolling code voice inversion and the DCI uses rolling code DES, at least that is what I was told. I have noticed more digital transmissions on the simplex channels of the Iowa DPS.

Could be. Last time I heard it was probably late 90s. It sounded like a rolling code inversion. Same stuff turned up on CIS. I assumed it was all state radio gear of some sort. I'd imagine they use DES or some other flavor of encryption by now. DCI traffic really got scarce once cellphones became standard equipment. All of the hunting down of sooper seekrit surveillance channels while not pointless, didn't provide the results it once did. Purple, CIS or otherwise.

Before I left the state I never did manage to pin down an identity of a channel ORANGE which I had heard referred to by a DCI agent while on PURPLE. Always bothered me as a monitoring challenge left undone I guess. ;)

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Declared_Hostile said:
Could be. Last time I heard it was probably late 90s. It sounded like a rolling code inversion. Same stuff turned up on CIS. I assumed it was all state radio gear of some sort. I'd imagine they use DES or some other flavor of encryption by now. DCI traffic really got scarce once cellphones became standard equipment. All of the hunting down of sooper seekrit surveillance channels while not pointless, didn't provide the results it once did. Purple, CIS or otherwise.

Before I left the state I never did manage to pin down an identity of a channel ORANGE which I had heard referred to by a DCI agent while on PURPLE. Always bothered me as a monitoring challenge left undone I guess. ;)

155.985 was used at one time by the DEA (last heard in the early 90s). Since taken over by the DOT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.