Clinton Twp. Police Car with Automated License Plate Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderators please move if not in appropriate category.

We were practicing traffic stops in lieu of going to class for the day at Clinton PD.

This was for my Interpersonal Communications and Conflict Resolution class

The one pictue with the lady, she was just given a ticket by me. It was sample one of course though.

Attachments

• Clinton PD 1.jpg
    Clinton PD 1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Clinton PD 2.jpg
    Clinton PD 2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 855
  • Clinton PD 3.jpg
    Clinton PD 3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Save as Clinton PD 4.jpg
    Save as Clinton PD 4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,411
Last edited:
Moderators please move if not in appropriate category.

We were practicing traffic stops in lieu of going to class for the day at Clinton PD.

This was for my Interpersonal Communications and Conflict Resolution class

The one pictue with the lady, she was just given a ticket by me. It was sample one of course though.

Adding one more.

Attachments

• Clinton PD 5.jpg
    Clinton PD 5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,136

k8tmk

I thought it was illegal to have all that stuff sitting on the dash in the driver's viewing area. Oh yeah, i forgot that the police are above the law!

Randy

Squad10

Does a car's ALPR system run "real time wireless" access to the state, or are the plates resident on the ALPR computer in the car?

Does a car's ALPR system run "real time wireless" access to the state, or are the plates resident on the ALPR computer in the car?
Heres a article.

A 33-year-old woman Macomb County woman is in jail today on a kidnapping charge after a scout car equipped with a license plate reader alerted Clinton Township police officer Neil Stafford that something was amiss when her vehicle passed him on Metropolitan Parkway.

Stafford said he checked the system’s computer which indicated there was an outstanding warrant for the driver of the car, Cassandra Lynn Richardson, formerly of Lewiston, Mich. While checking that warrant, a passenger, Charles Edward Greene, 35, of Grayling, also was arrested on a non-related warrant issued in Crawford County.

The license plate reader cameras are attached to the trunk of the scout car, said Clinton Township police Capt. Joseph Merdes. It has four cameras that scan in all directions and detect license plate numbers from cars approaching and passing the police vehicle as well as those going in the same direction.

When the cameras read a license plate, a picture of the vehicle is recorded in the reader’s computer system. If the device determines a warrant is outstanding for the owner of the license plate attached to the car, it makes a sound alerting the officer.

Merdes said in this case Stafford was on a traffic stop on westbound Metropolitan Parkway just west of Harper Avenue when the Pagis system went off. Merdes said he device read Richardson’s license plate number and he put the plate number into his in-car computer to determine why Richardson was being sought and if the warrant was still active.

“I left the traffic stop and went after the suspect’s car,” Stafford said. “I caught up to her at Gratiot Avenue and asked her for her operator’s license."

Stafford said Richardson first told him the matter had been resolved. But Richardson, who was working for a landscape company in Macomb County, said she didn’t have any clearance papers so Stafford had no choice but to arrest the woman on the warrant.

Greene also was arrested and held for Crawford County authorities. Stafford said Richardson and Greene were cooperative with police even though Greene denied he was the Charles Greene in question.

Crawford County Sheriff’s Sgt. Shon Chemielewski said his department issued the warrant for Richardson because she and her husband are separated and she didn’t return their child after a court-ordered visitation.

July 28, 2011

By Gordon Wilczynski
Daily Tribune Staff Writer

Last edited:

Fiveo

Premium Subscriber

ALPR systems do NOT run real time. The State's servers would certainly crash having that many plates constantly being run through the system ( it's slow enough at times as it is!) A file of NCIC stolens and wanted vehicles is uploaded to the ALPR computer each day. A "hit" is then run real time to confirm the status.

Kinda funny the car has an ALPR but an ancient technology Kustom Pro-1000 K band radar.

ALPR systems do NOT run real time. The State's servers would certainly crash having that many plates constantly being run through the system ( it's slow enough at times as it is!) A file of NCIC stolens and wanted vehicles is uploaded to the ALPR computer each day. A "hit" is then run real time to confirm the status.

Kinda funny the car has an ALPR but an ancient technology Kustom Pro-1000 K band radar.

Good catch forgot about that. I'll have to ask my teacher about that.

Oh they do have a G.P.S. in the car so dispatch can keep track.

Last edited:

OCO

Must be a different system than the one in the Macomb County story, they're getting realtime file checks from someplace and it doesn't sound like a local set of files....sure a long ways from the old four hour Hot Sheet broadcast we used to run.

I wonder what the public's reaction is going to be when ALPRs are common in every jurisdiction..It might not bother them if the checks are restricted to something like felony wants/warrants/stolen vehicles but automation like this can be a force multiplier that if not used carefully could give the public a taste of what they might consider a real police state.

Last edited:
I live here in Chesterfield, I seen one car that has ALPR. Don't see to often. From what I gather a lot of the Officers don't like it because if they get a lot of hits the computer makes annoying alarm.

OCO

I don't know how fast the system is any more compared to when I was there (last year at CJDC Ops was '97) but the older mainframe actually could process thousands of basic lookups a minute (a lot faster than they could be sent back down the comm lines to the Datamaxx terminals at 4800 bps..) I believe the current backend is all Oracle and from what I've heard, it can have problems at times..If something like ALPR became commonplace, there would have to be big changes to the backend to handle the traffic.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Maybe not, I would think that for officer safety the installers would have put the equipment below the dash line. As far as the plate readers, they upload a daily database, the plates are run against this database. The system used here in N.Y. tells the officer what the infraction is. The system does have a lot of false hits, and BTW I worked with the brother of the inventor of the system,and take what you may from this comment " If I put tape over my plate to make it look like another number or letter ( the reader uses infrared light to read )will the system still read the bad plate". The reply from the inventor "No comment"

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Are you that clueless that you did not see that was a joke .Or just your normal smart remark

Actually it was a question. If you'll read his post again, you will notice that it was not written as a joke. I'm not sure it is illegal for police cars to have that in the dash, so I was asking.

But thanks for emphasizing your value to this forum! Without posts like yours, I don't know how we'd be able to function here... Well done!

Squad10

The reason I asked about real time inquiry is a few years ago a startup ALPR business in IL ran (State unauthorized, I was told) real-time 27,28 and 29 (Z5) through IL LEADS. The ALPR software operated in conjuction with Trimble APS software on the IWIN laptop that communicated with the state using Motorola's Premier MDC application. Caused quite a stir, but it did work real time.

The few systems the ALPR business sold were to county stolen vehicle recovery task force units. Wanted plate numbers were stored on a USB thumb drive.

EC-7

I dont know if its lefal or not to have the radar on the dash, but who is going to give them a ticket?
Most police dis-obey more laws than the average citizen each day on the job, like no seatbelts, speeding while routine driving, no code yet excessive speeding while en-route to a call, tailgating, running stop lights/signs, texting, or using computer while driving and not necessary. Its all shrugged off as a "part of the job", but its still very unsafe driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.