Clipboard Ultralight Radio DXing Carry Case - March 2023

pb_lonny

Over the past 10 years I have tried a few different ways of carrying my Ultralight DXing radios and associated equipment. I firstly started off using a ABS type carry case, this worked really well and provided excellent protection to my radios, being large, heavy and standing out meant that it really went against the whole "ultralight dxing" idea and purpose. I also found that due to its size I didn't carry it with me that often.

Next I tried a digital SLR camera bag, this was much lighter and meant that I didn't stand out anywhere near as much; I just looked like another photographer or tourist. I was fairly happy with this but found that it didn't provide good protection for my radios and it can also make it look like you are carrying "expensive stuff". It also does not help with having a suitable surface to do my loggings on.

Recently I was at our local Bunnings store, I was browsing when I noticed this, (Tactix Clipboard Organiser I/N 5810592 | Bunnings Warehouse) which is designed for tradesmen and others to keep paper work together while on the road or at a job site. This looked to be a good size and had a good writing surface; I thought the internal size would be big enough for my two ultralight radios but was not 100% sure. I kept this in the back of my mind and was hoping to get back one day and measure this up.

Earlier this week I went to have a look, to see if they would fit. I did a quick check in the store and it looked to be a close fit if I could remove the middle internal clipboard section. Based on this I purchased it.

I have now removed the middle clipboard section, added a divider and sorted my ultralight radios, to give each of them a space to fit.

I have not had a chance to use this for a portable Ultralight DXing session as yet but I think it will work well; it covers all my needs of:
- Not standing out
- Protecting my radios
- Having a good writing surface

For $26, I am very happy with how it has turned out.