CLMRN Location Control (GPS) SDS200

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if anyone has set up Location Control (GPS), using the rectangular coordinates instead of circular? (But circular will also help… maybe as a starting point).

It’s looks to be a time consuming endeavor, so I thought before I reinvented the wheel I would search for an existing program and save some time instead of starting from scratch. I am interested in setting it up for the state police (and some other select agencies that also use CLMRN).

So far, I haven’t found anyone who has accomplished this but will continue my search. If it’s already been addressed here, my apologies, I missed it.

ems170

Feed Provider
I use circles for the sites and a rectangle that covers the state for the talkgroups due to talkgroup roaming, especially on statewide talkgroups. It works well.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
So, use the coordinates that come with the system and create circles at each site. But why the one rectangle for the entire state? (I will guess if you want to use GPS it’s necessary?) What Range do you use? Are there individual site Ranges for the circles?

ems170

Feed Provider
For the sites I will generally draw a radius that extends a little beyond the approximate troop district footprints, the simulcast sites roughly match the troop territories, any IR sites are small fill sites and I will generally use a 5-mile radius. Regarding the talkgoup list I figured out a rectangle encompassing the entire state.

Checking talkgroups does not really add much time to the scan time as the radio is only locking on the control channel, looking for activity, and then a quick cross-reference to your favorites talkgroup list. The scan delays are in the time it takes for the radio to go and check for other sites and decode the control channel data stream.

That is why my approach is to minimize the sites that are checked, not the talkgroups that are scanned at any given time. Talkgroup activity will change at any given moment based on radio affiliations on the sites.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Wondering if anyone has set up Location Control (GPS), using the rectangular coordinates instead of circular? (But circular will also help… maybe as a starting point).

It’s looks to be a time consuming endeavor, so I thought before I reinvented the wheel I would search for an existing program and save some time instead of starting from scratch. I am interested in setting it up for the state police (and some other select agencies that also use CLMRN).

So far, I haven’t found anyone who has accomplished this but will continue my search. If it’s already been addressed here, my apologies, I missed it.
@dave3825 did exactly that using ProScan. See the 2nd image in the link below. If you have a starting circle then ProScan can convert it to a rectangle then more rectangles can be added using the same coordinates. Display them on Google Maps so they can be resized and repositioned then finally update the Favorites Lists with the new coordinates. It may be a learning curve at first learning ProScan. Rectangles not really time consuming once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:

N1GTL

Database Admin
I did not try the state system but I did spend a good amount of time using the squares covering all New Haven County towns. You can both import and export as text files. I have the New Haven County towns as a .txt if anyone wants to try an import.

I did drive around New Haven, Hamden and North Haven and the scanner updated within a mile of entering or leaving a town.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Wow! That’s what I meant by a time consuming project, and why I was hoping to learn someone has already done it for the state police on CLMRN… no sense re-creating something that is already on the shelf. (I had a vision of myself creating this massive rectangular GPS Location file, posting it for all to see and use, only to learn it’s already been done!)

Thanks for your offer and the time and effort you must have spent compiling NH County. I haven’t any interest in that county but it’s good to know someone with the expertise in creating such a file is available here should the need arise.