CLMRN Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that on CLMRN Phase 2, some of the dispatchers voices are muffled, no treble, while the police, etc. in the cars are fairly clear. It's especially noticeable with some towns that are on the system, especially Norwich PD, Stonington Groton, and also DEEP, not so much the CSP. I find myself switching to various speakers but to no avail. Of course, my ears don't help, as in the old Duke Ellington tune, " Things (Ears) Ain't What They Used To Be".

Reconrider

It's not your ears, it's the dispatch talking. They haven't figured out they need to keep the mic 3"-4" away from their mouth and not inside of their mouth when talking.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The commercial radios have a much more robust AGC than the scanners and any difference is not as noticeable as it is with a scanner.

MarkB513

I have AGC turned on for digital, but what you said, that explains a lot... Analog AGC on the other hand, can stand to hear it correcting.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
AGC has nothing to do with a lower sound, The APX has adjustments for lows, mids and highs on the input and output and the state radios are set up to sound good on TDMA using those settings, the consols do not have the same settings unfortunately.
P25 and DMR have the same issue, we have always been used to listening to analog, and most analog voice in the radio system cuts off at 300hz for lows where the digital formats will go down to 20hz and sound way more bassy
Where AGC comes in as a negative is when it's being used and the audio on the radio isn't set up correctly,
Example if your in the area is to listen to Stratford FD, their radios levels are all over the place and it sounds horrible, then listen to Bridgeport FD, everything sounds good and all at normal levels, Both are P25 conventional systems..... Poor audio settings Vr's good audio settings

Status
Not open for further replies.