matt04

Premium Subscriber
Please let me know what control channel is bringing in Troop D

I am hearing Troop C CONTROL CHANNEL 774.5312
774.5312 is listed as being part of thee Troop H Simulcast. I heard Troop H on the Troop C sites yesterday. Since H and C share borders I'm willing to bet say a trooper in Enfield may be closer to the Somers cell on Soapstone Mtn than BDL and have their radio affiliate with a Troop C site, hence you hear Troop H on a Troop C site and vice versa.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the new frequencies make it into the database so that I can program my BCD325P2. I use free scan to program it.
At present it is sadly quiet. But luckily my sds100 is working well and will hopefully improve once the channels for the other sites are discovered and I'm able to plug those into a FL.

MOTORHEAD27

Premium Subscriber
I took my BCD325P2 to work. At lunch I did hear the Troop F site. I use Fee Scan on mine too.

norwichfeeder

Feed Provider
Hopefully the new frequencies make it into the database so that I can program my BCD325P2. I use free scan to program it.
At present it is sadly quiet. But luckily my sds100 is working well and will hopefully improve once the channels for the other sites are discovered and I'm able to plug those into a FL.

Yep without the easy download option I'm clueless. Talkgroups, Control channels, even with the software its all so damn confusing. And you could explain it to me 50 times, I fear, I still wouldn't get it lol.

Some things my brain just doesn't understand. Manually programming a digital trunking scanner is one of them. I have reinstalled the RR CSP freq's but still just silence since yesterday.

I have a Whistler 1065 and has been working great all year. I don't know what to do to pick up CSP again. I guess I have to wait until the RR database is corrected. I know its a community driven hobby so we will just have to wait patiently for our fellow hobbyists to figure it out.

I had so many daily listeners on my feed and it was running nice. It's a shame it has gone silent but we are lucky to be listening at all I guess.

WoodburyMan

With the SDS? No. With an SDR? Sure. Fire up DSDPlus or Unitrunker and it'll show you all of the site details, including alternate control channels and site neighbors.
Thank you sir. I was able to use Unitrunker.
Troop L Simulcast Site Update
Control Channel​
859.76250MHz ("859.76250c" in red)​
Alternative Control Channels:​
856.4875MHz ("856.4875a" in blue)​
857.4875MHz ("857.4875a" in blue)​
858.4875MHz ("858.4875a" in blue)​
Additional Frequency:​
852.3250MHz​
Site Neighbors / Peers Include​
Site 022 773.95625MHz (Troop A Simulcast)​
Site 023 853.6125MHz (Unknown!! You may see an update on this from me later)​
Site 028 774.53125MHz (Troop H Simulcast)​

Site 023 853.6125MHz on Radio Reference is NOT YET LISTED. It's another 800mhz reuse site. I'm SUSPECTING this is Troop B's control channel. I'm not picking it up in Woodbury. Others could verify

Get to hunting girls and boys! See who can find and pick up the 853.6125MHz control channel first.

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
774.5312 is listed as being part of thee Troop H Simulcast. I heard Troop H on the Troop C sites yesterday. Since H and C share borders I'm willing to bet say a trooper in Enfield may be closer to the Somers cell on Soapstone Mtn than BDL and have their radio affiliate with a Troop C site, hence you hear Troop H on a Troop C site and vice versa.

Without getting overly technical the way these systems work is any talkgroup can appare on any site. If a Trooper affiliates to H DISP 1 and has a strong signal on Troop C's Simulcast site then you will here H DISP 1 on the Troop C Simulcast. Once that radio is turned off or has a better signal on a different site H DISP 1 will stop going over the Troop C Simulcast. Same is true with all the other channels and troops which is why you hear multiple troops on each site. Hope that clears things up a bit.

WoodburyMan

853.6125mhz was the control channel for Troop B on the CSP Moto-II system. Makes sense this is now a new site and same control channel for CSERN. This is it. Need someone up North to verify. If not Saturday morning or Sunday I may be able to verify this myself.

Also, I bet if someone in range of Troop C or Troop E with Unitrunker and a $20 SDR, they could get their peers and report and find Troop K and Troop D's site's control frequencies. Next Monday I will be in the Troop K/F/E area and may have some time to try and find it.

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
853.6125mhz was the control channel for Troop B on the CSP Moto-II system. Makes sense this is now a new site and same control channel for CSERN. This is it. Need someone up North to verify. If not Saturday morning or Sunday I may be able to verify this myself.

Also, I bet if someone in range of Troop C or Troop E with Unitrunker and a $20 SDR, they could get their peers and report and find Troop K and Troop D's site's control frequencies. Next Monday I will be in the Troop K/F/E area and may have some time to try and find it.

I'll be traveling threw the state next Thursday and will try to look at Troop C/D/K.

If anyone in the Litchfield County area can keep an eye out for Site 37 on 859.9375. I believe this is the site at Sharon Fire Headquarters but could possible be Lake Waramaug.

matt04

Premium Subscriber
Yep without the easy download option I'm clueless. Talkgroups, Control channels, even with the software its all so damn confusing. And you could explain it to me 50 times, I fear, I still wouldn't get it lol.

Some things my brain just doesn't understand. Manually programming a digital trunking scanner is one of them. I have reinstalled the RR CSP freq's but still just silence since yesterday.

I have a Whistler 1065 and has been working great all year. I don't know what to do to pick up CSP again. I guess I have to wait until the RR database is corrected. I know its a community driven hobby so we will just have to wait patiently for our fellow hobbyists to figure it out.

I had so many daily listeners on my feed and it was running nice. It's a shame it has gone silent but we are lucky to be listening at all I guess.
If you reinstalled the old Motorola system, you probably won't hear anything. Most of they sites seem to have been shut down. I know C/K is no longer active but H/W is still online but no traffic logged. You want to program in the 700Mhz Channels listed on CSERN page for your area.

Conventional radio is where say East Hartford PD uses 460.2500 for their dispatch and every dispatch will be heard on that freq.

A trunked radio system is more like a cell phone where their are multiple freqs on each tower and they are handed out by a computer when you make a call. The control channel, say 774.53125 for the new troop H system constantly broadcasts a digital signal that every radio listens to. When say, a dispatcher wants to call a trooper to respond to a call, that digital signal contains a message telling any radio on TG 351 for H DISP to listen for a transmission on a specific frequency assigned by a computer say 769.70625 which will contain ONLY the voice message than allowing the radio with the PTT button to transmit. When the dispatcher releases the PTT button 769.70625 is released back into the pool of available frequencies and every radio on TG 351 goes back to listening to the control channel. When the trooper goes to respond his car radio sends a message on the CC to the computer saying "hey, i need a freq to transmit on to send a message on TG 351" and the process repeats itself.

matt04

Premium Subscriber

I am in range of Troop C and hear a control channel on 774.05625 but haven't heard a peep on any of the old 800Mhz channels with either a CC or voice traffic. Troop C/K used to share Site 6, which is now offline. I wonder if that practice will continue?

WoodburyMan

I am in range of Troop C and hear a control channel on 774.05625 but haven't heard a peep on any of the old 800Mhz channels with either a CC or voice traffic. Troop C/K used to share Site 6, which is now offline. I wonder if that practice will continue?
If you have a $20 RTL-SDR you can use Unitrunker and try this out....
RTL-SDR Tutorial: Following Trunked Radio with Unitrunker
You only need to follow steps up to #14.

Once you start listening to the Troop C control channel this will pop up, and you can select "Peers" and it will show nearby sites it's linked to, their Site ID, and Frequency. If you see a Site ID not listed on the Radio Reference Database, there's your new frequency you can scan for.
TroopLPeers.png

Pop the new frequency in... hopefully you are in range of that and can hear it. You can also get all the frequencies in use too. Control in red, alternate controls in yellow, regular voice only channels in white. Then we got a verified new site.
TroopLHistory.png

cg

Premium Subscriber
I am back from my 470 mile pain shortened backpacking trip to California so I can wade in with what I now see. I have only been monitoring the changes for a few hours so something may have snuck by but I will try to catch those varmints.

Troop B:
Troop B is alive and well, living on the old Moto 4.1 frequencies.

Site: 1.23 NAC=3A3 ; Troop B

Channel 0-21: 851.13750 VOICE
Channel 0-97: 851.61250 SCC VOICE DATA
Channel 0-137: 851.86250 SCC
Channel 0-195: 852.22500 SCC
Channel 0-325: 853.03750 VOICE DATA
Channel 0-417: 853.61250 CC
(Info generated by DSDPlus)

Troop D:
DSDPlus showing D is using 852.2000 (info from Neighbor list for Troop C Simulcast)

Troop K:
DSDPlus showing K is using 853.9125 (info from Neighbor list for Troop H Simulcast)

I can no longer directly monitor Troop K Simulcast. I suspect it has to do with the separation of C & K into two cells. The site I was monitoring (probably Soapstone) is now a C site. I probably cannot get Glastonbury (closest K site).

Troop H (Moto 4.1) 853.2625
As others have mentioned, the Moto 4.1 legacy system seems to be carrying only DOC as a primary system.

Logged a couple Standalone sites
Site 37, 859.9375, is a SA Site in Troop F's area
Site 38, 774.51875, is a SA Site in Troop B's area

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
George,
If you are monitoring Troop E's Simulcast (773.93125 I believe) and cannot hear Troop E, you likely have the Talkgroup locked out or not programmed properly. Troop E Disp 1 is 201 and Troop E Disp 2 is 203.

chris

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I have an HP 1 and a 436 HP and the RR database is updated weekly. Are you running the Sentinel Software? Not sure how the BCD325 is updated. Free Scan maybe. Too bad about your SD100. Very expensive, lots of bells and whistles but a lousy job scanning. Not good. Glad you returned it.

...the BCD325P2 uses aftermarket software if you choose not to program manually. I use the Butel offering as i already own a copy for my BCD396XT and BCD996XT. But you don’t have to buy programming software like I did as there are are reliable free versions such as FreeScan, etc. available for download. These reliable aftermarket offerings are why Uniden decided not to provide software... no sense reinventing the wheel! I believe Uniden refers to their lack of software in the manual... for the reason stated above.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
George,
If you are monitoring Troop E's Simulcast (773.93125 I believe) and cannot hear Troop E, you likely have the Talkgroup locked out or not programmed properly. Troop E Disp 1 is 201 and Troop E Disp 2 is 203.

chris
chris, im double checking everything. nothing seems to be locked out. radio is up to date. ill try it again . thanks

WoodburyMan

I am back from my 470 mile pain shortened backpacking trip to California so I can wade in with what I now see. I have only been monitoring the changes for a few hours so something may have snuck by but I will try to catch those varmints.

Troop B:
Troop B is alive and well, living on the old Moto 4.1 frequencies.

Site: 1.23 NAC=3A3 ; Troop B

Channel 0-21: 851.13750 VOICE
Channel 0-97: 851.61250 SCC VOICE DATA
Channel 0-137: 851.86250 SCC
Channel 0-195: 852.22500 SCC
Channel 0-325: 853.03750 VOICE DATA
Channel 0-417: 853.61250 CC
(Info generated by DSDPlus)

Troop D:
DSDPlus showing D is using 852.2000 (info from Neighbor list for Troop C Simulcast)

Troop K:
DSDPlus showing K is using 853.9125 (info from Neighbor list for Troop H Simulcast)

I can no longer directly monitor Troop K Simulcast. I suspect it has to do with the separation of C & K into two cells. The site I was monitoring (probably Soapstone) is now a C site. I probably cannot get Glastonbury (closest K site).

Troop H (Moto 4.1) 853.2625
As others have mentioned, the Moto 4.1 legacy system seems to be carrying only DOC as a primary system.

Logged a couple Standalone sites
Site 37, 859.9375, is a SA Site in Troop F's area
Site 38, 774.51875, is a SA Site in Troop B's area

chris
Great work!! Matches up with my Peer data for B I got from L.
Site 23 Troop B is totally mapped now. Awesome!

So Sites to Verify:
Site 37 on 859.9375 - Stand Alone Site, Something in Troop F Area (Although someone else posted they thought this mike be Sharon or Waramaug)
Site 38 on 774.51875 - Stand Alone Site, Something Troop B's area maybe also Sharon or Waramaug
Site X on 852.2000 - Troop D Simulcast
Site X on 853.9125 - Troop K Simulcast

Also a general question - When are alternate control channels used? I set my SDS100/SDS200 to scan just the control channel and it will follow to the voice channel it points to if broadcasts TalkGroups I enter. I do this so it doesn't waste time scanning the other say 3 to 5 channels, giving my a shortened scan duration until it loops around and starts scanning the frequencies in my list again so I get less clipping of the start of a transmission. Normally it skips over the frequencies fast, but if say a TG i dont follow is talking on it, then the scanner has to scan=n it, go NOPE, and go to the next channel, adding like 0.2 seconds to my scan loop time.