cg

Premium Subscriber
For a while the ERVs used the low power 853.9xxx channels along with a couple other 851-4 MHZ NPSPAC channels. Haven't bothered to try to monitor lately. If I recall, the 853.9xxx channels were available to any licensed 800MHz user for low power operations. Not sure if they still are.

NAC in Sharon was 3A8, coverage appears very limited, I was in Sharon center, but it does what it is intended to do. The old Rt 63 IR Site is off.

I don't bother with the data submissions, I generate my own databases from monitoring so it is rare that I need any info from the DB.

Look in the DSDPlus.P25data file for the BEE00.3A9 bandplan info. That shows what the channel number prefix stands for.

chris

thom

Premium Subscriber
It provides coverage for the beach areas, especially Point O' Woods which is a hole for radio communications to/from Westbrook. Kind of surprised a 23 foot tower miles away from Point O' Woods is even that much help; wonder what the wattage is on it. If they really wanted to expand coverage, they could have rented space on the cell towers OLFD and OLEMS use for their UHF repeaters that patch 33.96.

I'm just a mile east of Point O' Woods with a DPD antenna on my roof and can't get any RSSI or bars. 853.0500 is dead here.

WoodburyMan

I'm just a mile east of Point O' Woods with a DPD antenna on my roof and can't get any RSSI or bars. 853.0500 is dead here.
Try 859.9375.
That's what my DSD+ and Unitrunker reported from Peer info. Somehow I got the numbers mixed up along the way. Someone posted 853.050 because the FCC entry matched, and I got them mixed up. 859.9375 is what I got in that area.

859.9375 FCC entry comes back to the old SmartZone II system in Sharon, CT, and another in Washington, CT, Waramaug maybe. I think they are reusing these on this Site 37 site.

Last edited:

WoodburyMan

Just found a new frequency for Site L, voice LCN 2-768 on 855.8125 MHz, Voice only (Along with TimeSlot 2 CN 2-769 855.8125 MHz)

It appears each Simulcast site has at least one P25 Phase II TDMA enabled frequency. Only certain TalkGroups use these. I noticed DEEP, Judicial Marshals, and CSP all primarily keep to the PhaseII non-TDMA channels, and they only need to be enabled for the CTT talk groups mostly along with a few others. It explains why after WEEKS of monitoring Troop L why I only just saw this now, as L pretty much lacks any CTT talk groups.

thom

Premium Subscriber
If I turn off the squelch, I get 859.9375 with -50 to 65 dBm but no tags . I'll sit on it while watching the Red Sox hopefully win tonight.

WoodburyMan

If I turn off the squelch, I get 859.9375 with -50 to 65 dBm but no tags . I'll sit on it while watching the Red Sox hopefully win tonight.
Nice! What are you watching with?
If you were watching with DSD+ or Unitrunker and a SDR you can get the Site NAC, and LCN for the Control Channel. My bet is it only carries certain specific talk groups. You would be able to see deny/accepts for any roaming radios on it at least.

bmeehan282

Premium Subscriber
Without scanning 600+ posts. I have a 436, updated the firmware, updated DB, loaded CSERN into it a couple of times, still does not pick up CSERN in Danbury. I have other radios alongside it that pick up. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

mkt853

Without scanning 600+ posts. I have a 436, updated the firmware, updated DB, loaded CSERN into it a couple of times, still does not pick up CSERN in Danbury. I have other radios alongside it that pick up. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
If you are using Uniden's software to update the database, it may be a few weeks behind. It doesn't directly pull from this site. The best thing to do is to manual set up the system in your scanner until things stabilize and/or Uniden's database catches up.

WoodburyMan

Try avoiding all sites except Troop A. You should pick up the control channel at 773.95625 MHz. Removing the 10 other sites your scanner isn't going to pick up means less frequencies for the scanner to run through, better chance of picking something up.

Does the 436 have Control Channel Following? If so you can kill off all frequencies but the control channel for each site, makes scanning MUCH more efficient. (Essentially the scanner just watches the control channel, once the control channel says "Talkgroup XYZ is on 77x.xxx MHZ" the scanner will retune to the frequency the TG is on, instead of manually scanning all 6-8 frequencies in a site). I have a SDS100 and SDS200 that do this, however my Home Patrol II does *not* have control channel following, and requires all 6-8 frequencies in a site to be scanned. I was testing it with my SDS100 side by side and it missed about 75% of the transmissions that the SDS100/SDS200 picked up using the same antennas almost side by side.

I found the Alinco REM-820S 700-800mhz Antenna works the best for portable use on my SDS100 for those ranges. ALINCO REM-820S Antenna Scanner, REM820S Using a Universal 20" or so ScanMaster 30mhz-1300mhz antenna didn't fair well with the new system. Given CSERN is using some of the old systems 800mhz, and a lot of the new 700mhz frequencies, you may need to adjust your antenna setup.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Nice! What are you watching with?
If you were watching with DSD+ or Unitrunker and a SDR you can get the Site NAC, and LCN for the Control Channel. My bet is it only carries certain specific talk groups. You would be able to see deny/accepts for any roaming radios on it at least.
gh tech, just an

No high tech, just an SDS200.

ledscan89

Premium Subscriber
I’m still struggling to make my BCD996P2 grab this system, while my BCD536HP is right next to it and has no issues. What am I doing wrong? It’s driving me crazy..

EDIT: I’m in Waterford/Ledyard and monitoring the Troop E site.

snowscout

I lowered the P25 threshold to Level 6 and this seems to have worked for now...will continue monitoring and advise.
I live in Groton and have a 325P2. The Threshold is set to 8. No issues except the weather may be playing a factor. I did notice that the further I drove away from Groton down I95 to Madison the other day, the less the signal reception was. I also had Troop F set up and that picked up before the CT River and got quite a bit of DOT traffic, New Haven stuff and also Judicial.

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Also upgrade your antenna to something better than the stock model. I have a Diamond RH789 on my 325 and it is sweet!

ledscan89

Premium Subscriber
I live in Groton and have a 325P2. The Threshold is set to 8. No issues except the weather may be playing a factor. I did notice that the further I drove away from Groton down I95 to Madison the other day, the less the signal reception was. I also had Troop F set up and that picked up before the CT River and got quite a bit of DOT traffic, New Haven stuff and also Judicial.

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Also upgrade your antenna to something better than the stock model. I have a Diamond RH789 on my 325 and it is sweet!
Do you use FreeScan at all? Curious if you do whether your software classifies your working programming as "MOT Type II/P25" or just "P25 Standard" for both CSERN and the Waterford system. TIA..

snowscout

Do you use FreeScan at all? Curious if you do whether your software classifies your working programming as "MOT Type II/P25" or just "P25 Standard" for both CSERN and the Waterford system. TIA..
Sorry. I manually input everything and assign things as I hear/see them in I.D. SEARCH. I've been doing this for almost 30 years when I received my first Uniden "Bearcat" handheld scanner! I used to order through ham/radio enthusiast's catalogs "scanner frequency books" and would actually talk to local police officers when my family would travel around New England during the Summer and Fall asking them what their radio frequencies were. BTW, I never was once turned down when I showed them my handheld and my notebook! Also, I found out where the best food & coffee was, great points of interest for the family, plus antique stores and flea markets where my parents would browes and sometimes buy.