cookandcamera

Here are all of the reported talk groups

I've been checking periodically.

They were mainly in the clear on the old system and I had not specifically seen ESU or others listed to this point. It was just a curiosity, where I always had the ESU programmed after Sandy Hook.

RESQ766

WoodburyMan

I 100% understand why they have the ESU TG's encrypted and I'm actually happy they do. Two incidents I heard on there back in the day with very revealing tactical information on them that should have have been in the clear for the officers safety. Tactical close range channels like that I fully understand.

mkt853

I 100% understand why they have the ESU TG's encrypted and I'm actually happy they do. Two incidents I heard on there back in the day with very revealing tactical information on them that should have have been in the clear for the officers safety. Tactical close range channels like that I fully understand.
Why do they have to be encrypted? Encryption is relatively new in its widespread use, so how did we get by all those years without it?

PhillyPhoto

Why do they have to be encrypted? Encryption is relatively new in its widespread use, so how did we get by all those years without it?
  1. DHS grants - there's money tied to being able to have encryption and a push for P25
  2. Streaming - now you don't even need to spend money on a scanner to be able to hear pretty much any department

mkt853

1. DHS grants - there's money tied to being able to have encryption and a push for P25
  2. Streaming - now you don't even need to spend money on a scanner to be able to hear pretty much any department
I know the technical ease and cost has plummeted, so it's a viable option to have in the radios and is no longer cost prohibitive, but is streaming that big of a deal? Surely they knew people could listen in before streaming? I'm just curious as to the actual need versus ability to encrypt.

WoodburyMan

I know the technical ease and cost has plummeted, so it's a viable option to have in the radios and is no longer cost prohibitive, but is streaming that big of a deal? Surely they knew people could listen in before streaming? I'm just curious as to the actual need versus ability to encrypt.
We should probably tread lightly on this topic as it's a bit controversial....

I'll just state some experiences/facts that may rather than opinions/discussion to try and keep this from getting to squirrelly since we really should be discussing "E" per guidelines. Everyone can make up their own mind from that.

On the old ESU unit Talk Groups on the old system, when there was an incident I heard where a man barricaded himself in a house, there was information on units going up and testing doors and locks, and recon being broadcast in the clear. If I had a scanner in the house, or had a stream of a tac channel, that would have been VERY bad for the officers. Same for an incident I heard last summer when they had sharp shooters setting up positions around a house, broadcasting their positions on the ESU Talk group. They were trying to use secure text communication in both events as well majority of the time, just in case they were being heard, but would use radio for things and times when they could not type. (At one point a dispatcher came on asking if everything was OK because it was so quiet but they stated they were using text communication). This seemed to be a hindrance for the officers to type and took precious seconds and time away. Now, these same TG's are encrypted on the new system. So I doubt the text system is used as often and the officers have more free hands.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
What’s odd about Danbury is i remember seeing a Troop A/I Simulcast repeater being listed in Danbury on the old State Police system. Too bad that system has been removed from the database or I’d see if I can find where it was listed. I believe it was on Wooster Mountain down by the airport. Hence my hope
I still have a build from when my BCD325P2 was programmed with the old 800 MHZ system. I could send you the frequencies if you like.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Anybody with the ability to track new sites that live in the western part of the state want to take a ride to Danbury? I’m willing to bet there’s an unmapped site in the area. There are definite reception issues on CLMRN for us scanner operators that I’m sure CSP and DOT aren’t experiencing.

I tried to PM you regarding your inquiry but it said I am not able to. Did you set it to not receive messages?

licpl8man

Premium Subscriber
I tried to PM you regarding your inquiry but it said I am not able to. Did you set it to not receive messages?
Not that I know of. But in other news, it seems my issue was scanner related. I upgraded to the SDS100 and now I get CSP no problems at work in Danbury. That is as long as I’m using a better antenna than stock lol

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
Not to go way off topic, but I vaguely remember the old system was digital. Also the new system has a p-25 emission, anyways what happened to all the old radios, portables and mobiles? Does anyone know if we can expect to see them at auction? Thanks in advance