WoodburyMan

Interesting that the new "New Britain Simulcast" Site is site #1.001 for CLMRN. I wonder if it's temporary. I'd think they reserve Site 1 for something else given the others are all higher numbers.

I can reach it from Southington. Site 1 New Britain Simulcast is currently linked to Site 28 Troop H Simulcast, Site 41 Hartford, and Site 33 ERV (Although isolated). For the moment the frequencies all appear the same as they were when it was it's own standalone system. It does appear to be Phase II with TDMA talkgroups. 18901 is the most active and has to be the old Patrol 1. 18904 is also very active, unsure what it is yet.

Site: 1.1 NAC=3A1 ; New Britain Simulcast

Neighbor: BEE00.3A9-1.28 ; Troop H Simulcast
Neighbor: BEE00.3A9-1.33 ; Emergency Response Vehicle ERV1
Neighbor: BEE00.3A9-1.41 ; Hartford

Channel 0-537: 854.3625 DATA
Channel 2-536: 854.3625-1 VOICE
Channel 2-537: 854.3625-2 VOICE
Channel 0-793: 855.9625 SCC
Channel 0-833: 856.2125 CC
Channel 0-993: 857.2125 DATA
Channel 2-992: 857.2125-1 VOICE
Channel 2-993: 857.2125-2 VOICE
Channel 0-1153: 858.2125 DATA
Channel 2-1152: 858.2125-1 VOICE
Channel 2-1153: 858.2125-2 VOICE
Channel 0-1313: 859.2125 DATA
Channel 2-1312: 859.2125-1 VOICE
Channel 2-1313: 859.2125-2 VOICE

APX7500X2

The New Brittan system is the same they just moved all the infrastructure over to the state core to make it a campus system.
Its very common in large P25 systems around the country, Just hasn't happened in CT because no one ever had a large P25 system with the capabilities to do it until now, Rumor had it Stamford was going to do the same thing when they could afford it

MFCJR

The New Brittan system is the same they just moved all the infrastructure over to the state core to make it a campus system.
Its very common in large P25 systems around the country, Just hasn't happened in CT because no one ever had a large P25 system with the capabilities to do it until now, Rumor had it Stamford was going to do the same thing when they could afford it

Correct. It is no different then before the switch.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Correct. It is no different then before the switch.
From a NB radio system user point of view, there is no difference. From a scanner user or DSD+ user there are significant changes. The system ID, all the talkgroup numbers and all the radio ID numbers changed.
If your scanner never moves and you only monitor NB, it is fine to simply change the talkgroup numbers to the new ones. However, if you typically go mobile or monitor multiple systems, it would be easier to program it as a new Site on CLMRN rather than separately. The biggest thing would be only having a single set of talkgroups. Any changes such as adding new groups, editing existing ones, lockouts would only need to be done once vs twice. Also, any talkgroups from the CLMRN system that show up on the New Britain site will not have alpha tags unless you duplicate all the CLMRN groups on your scanner's New Britain system.

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
Also, there is an odd thing I am seeing with both the scanners and DSDPlus. I am getting a set of similar groups with close but different IDs.

These groups have shown up as 389xx numbers, with very few voice calls and mostly affiliations on DSDPlus. I had one secure PD transmission on 38911 but most have been on 38976 (Dial a ride I believe). There are very few of them, perhaps only 30 voice calls and unknown number of affiliations.

So far it has been New Britain only (389xx), but I would normally automatically delete anything between 26999 (highest calculated municipal ID) and 65336 (start of the ISSI group IDs) I am not 100% sure. If it was DSDPlus only, I would have said some programming glitch, but I have several recordings from

chris

MFCJR

I stay with in the area. So The New Britain site works better for me. The RSSI on my SDS100 is the same as before. When I had them on CLMRN it was higher. But that was just after they switched over and was running straight off the CLMRN site. When they switched back to the New Britain site I lost them on CLMRN. I guess because in between they were using the CLMRN control channels then dropped off them when the New Britain control channels were added. But that is just a guess.

cg

Premium Subscriber
What works best for you is the way you want to set it up. That is why it is so difficult to program scanners for others, everyone likes different stuff, too much noise, not enough, too much FD activity, vs not enough, etc.

Since the New Britain site is now part of CLMRN, any talkgroup from either system could ultimately show up there (depending on how the system admins set things up). If NB has a major incident, Fire Coordinator TGs could become active on it. If a Stonington PD officer were in the city to pick up someone on a warrant, you might hear them sign off with their dispatcher at the NBPD. As more municipalities go onto the system, you hopefully would hear more interaction with various agencies. (hopefully)
As of now, I would expect that very few of the existing radios have the NB control channels programmed in. That will limit the activity. Not sure if the radios on the existing CLMRN have over the air programming (OTAP) or if they all would have to be touched.

chris

MFCJR

Since the police are silent I only monitor the fire. I heard them when they told all companies to switch over the radios. That is when I started a search on the CLMRN site. It didn't take long before I started picking them up. Soon after they had a 2-Alarm fire and their radios were not picking up some transmissions. I am guessing they had to deactivate the old system then add the new information to it then reactivate it. And in between their radios were not picking up that well.

PhillyPhoto

I don't recall seeing this in this thread before. After the New Britain switch, I was looking around in my DSD+ logs and saw a neighbor show up as "BEE00.954" on what used to be a New Britain frequency. I didn't pay attention to the system ID at first, and thought they turned the NB site into a backup. After looking into it some more, I realized it was actually Middletown's new system. It makes sense since CSP HQ is in Middletown, and I'm sure they're looking to have better inter-op between them.

The neighbors on the Middletown side are:

P25,BEE00.3A9,1.27,"Troop F Simulcast"
P25,BEE00.3A9,1.28,"Troop H Simulcast"
P25,BEE00.3A9,1.29,"Troop I Simulcast"
P25,BEE00.3A9,1.30,"Troop K Simulcast"

WoodburyMan

I don't recall seeing this in this thread before. After the New Britain switch, I was looking around in my DSD+ logs and saw a neighbor show up as "BEE00.954" on what used to be a New Britain frequency. I didn't pay attention to the system ID at first, and thought they turned the NB site into a backup. After looking into it some more, I realized it was actually Middletown's new system. It makes sense since CSP HQ is in Middletown, and I'm sure they're looking to have better inter-op between them.

The neighbors on the Middletown side are:

P25,BEE00.3A9,1.27,"Troop F Simulcast"
P25,BEE00.3A9,1.28,"Troop H Simulcast"
P25,BEE00.3A9,1.29,"Troop I Simulcast"
P25,BEE00.3A9,1.30,"Troop K Simulcast"

View attachment 81837

View attachment 81838
Cool! I posted these I think a page or two back. I managed to hit Middletown and Wallingford, as well as a few selcom used Simulcast sites and posted their links.

On another note, because of events going on, I anticipate DEHS groups to get a bit more active perhaps. Maybe some new TG's may pop up.

cg

Premium Subscriber
none.
The talkgroups that appear from 65336 through 65534 are from a system that allows users from one system to utilize a second systems resources. Right now, CLMRN, Wallingford and Middletown systems are set to share resources. For example, a Middletown user going to Hartford would normally go out of range before reaching their destination. They would have the frequencies from CLMRN programmed in and as the Middletown signal weakens, the radio scans and picks up a stronger CLMRN site. Normal roaming. But if Middletown has duplicate radio IDs or talkgroups, you would have issues on CLMRN. So the system assigns temporary talkgroups and radio IDs to the outside system user. These groups are not constant so if you hear Middletown FD on 65336 today, they could be on 65458 tomorrow.

If you have your scanner in "ID Scan" you will not hear them. If you have your scanner in "ID Search" you will (unless you program them in which you don't want to).

chris

WoodburyMan

none.
The talkgroups that appear from 65336 through 65534 are from a system that allows users from one system to utilize a second systems resources. Right now, CLMRN, Wallingford and Middletown systems are set to share resources. For example, a Middletown user going to Hartford would normally go out of range before reaching their destination. They would have the frequencies from CLMRN programmed in and as the Middletown signal weakens, the radio scans and picks up a stronger CLMRN site. Normal roaming. But if Middletown has duplicate radio IDs or talkgroups, you would have issues on CLMRN. So the system assigns temporary talkgroups and radio IDs to the outside system user. These groups are not constant so if you hear Middletown FD on 65336 today, they could be on 65458 tomorrow.

If you have your scanner in "ID Scan" you will not hear them. If you have your scanner in "ID Search" you will (unless you program them in which you don't want to).

chris
What I did was left "ID Search" on on my SDS100/200's. Then in my favorites list, entered 65,000 through 65,535 in and set them to "Avoid". This way I still pick up unknown TG's but don't get those roaming talkgroups. Works well with ProScan to record unknown TG's.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I tried doing that with my 996P2s and 325P2 but ran out of talkgroup space with the limit of 500 groups (along with New Britain put me over). It was a pain in the butt however I was able to program those 100 groups in under the Locked out talkgroups.
Eventually I will pick up a SDS200 but I have clear reception on a majority of the traffic I can hear.

chris

cg

Premium Subscriber
The talkgroup is LCD however, it is not a dispatch talkgroup. I think it is likely a staff or center operations type group and would expect other regional dispatch centers have similar groups. Separately, they may, at some point, have operational groups but I don't think that is the intention of this LCD group.
TFD Chief Towey and others were testing coverage on it recently.

chris