WoodburyMan

So as I've stated before I'm just here for a short while trying to get better reception for a friend who lives in Connecticut. All of our systems are Phase 2 tdma around my area of Pennsylvania.

One of the things I noticed when our system switched to P2 in 2015 was multiple NAC numbers on a single site. My friend emails me videos of their screen and various information. I have been working specifically on site 031 and TG 501 troop L dispatch for my analysis. The NAC number is 3A1h that is not being ignored and actually used on site 031.

My understanding is that everyone is using the setting in settings of ignore NAC as opposed to use NAC.

If I could suggest, going to settings and set site NAC operation to "use site NAC". Then go into each site you want and set p25 NAC option to "search". You can start to keep track of the different numbers that are coming up and see if on some sites you actually get two different numbers coming up or even not matching what they're supposed to be.

Just an idea I think is worth trying, back in 2015 we were having a similar issue with the same symptoms. Our P2 System turned out to have more than one NAC number being used on one site.
I'll try that. I have all my sites set to Search NAC but also have my profile settings set to ignore site NAC.

... I wonder if the system giving multiple NAC's is a thing for CLMRN now, and if it is, it would explain it. The CC could say have on NAC, then the trunk-tracking follows to a different channel that has another NAC, and it ignores it and moves on because of that.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
@WoodburyMan If that is a thing is there a way to streamline it to make it work?

For what it's worth the few transmissions on Troop L that have come in since the Phase II switch did have the NAC of 3A1h (following the convo from above in the thread).

In case that helps anyone looking at this ...

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It would be ironic if that's what it was this whole time.
Even with the RSSI being so high I still used to get far better reception than now in my area.
Yep even though you are using the same frequencies, a phase II system is much different and takes a stronger signal to properly decode.

Not sure if your systems problem is a multiple NAC issue but it's just something I thought we could give a shot at. It almost seems like it's a coverage issue, you have to wonder what kind of testing was done to evaluate dead spots but I see that your radio technicians are on an encrypted Channel LOL.

If it is a poor coverage reception problem then the only answer is rooftop antennas with low loss coax which is not an option for everybody. Maybe antennas in attics or mounted on broom handles Etc might help.

unwinr

Can anyone who is supposedly receiving CLMRN perfectly fine, the same as before, post shots of their signal analyzer?
I've determined the SDS100 series firmware is to blame. It just cannot lock onto TDMA channels when either scanning or trunk-tracking if they're anywhere near perfect.

No matter what is done, apart from switching to a full outdoor antenna mount which I cannot do, I am still getting my SDS100 and SDS200 skipping transmissions like they're encrypted. My ProScan recordings average are down to less then 2/3 of what they were prior to the TDMA switch. Something is throwing it off. And it's a shame the SDS's basically aren't getting any more firmware updates due to Uniden's unfortunate situation.

I get -95db to -100db on Wide-Normal Filter, and -99db to -105db with Filter off. Both are constant 3-5 "bars" on the scanner, and when analyzed though the SDS come up as EXCELLENT Quality. My guess is the SDS firmware just sucks and skims and processes a weak TDMA signal as garbage and skips over it.

Here's A, I and L from the western edge of Woodbury's valley pointing East-SouthEast. This is with a Mini-Discone mounted in a window on a 3rd floor with a clear view and no trees. This is a SDS200.

View attachment 88626
View attachment 88627
View attachment 88628

This is from a SDS100 in Southington using a mini-discone indoor near a window on a ground floor. Not ideal at all, but alas the only option that used to work just fine until TDMA.
View attachment 88629
View attachment 88630
View attachment 88631
Hello,

I know this is not precisely what WoodburyMan is asking for, but I can at least vouch for the fact that in Central CT CLMRN is loud and clear on a Uniden996P2 and a Whistler WS1080 (uprgraded from PSR-800). I am receiving site 028 (CC 774.53125) and site 027 (CC 774.30625) using a RS 800 back of set rubber ducky with a full 5 bars.. I also have a very old "bicone" type of antenna in the attic that also receives 5 bar strength. All troops except D. I have never received that one. There has been no noticeable change in my reception. Voice is very clear and strong.

Attachments

• CSP 1.jpg
    CSP 1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 32
  • CSP 2.jpg
    CSP 2.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 26

keys

Okay I've researched it pretty good, they are armed, they were actually phased out in 1988 and the last article or report was 2015 where there was 41 left and up there in age. Mostly assisting in the barracks, traffic duty etc. In their heyday they performed just like regular state troopers and there are two volunteers who were killed in the line of duty. Both side of the road auto wrecks. Very interesting information, thanks for that post doc.
I was an aux out of troop L in 1983 era

hotbob62

I've been monitoring CSP since the 70's, when they were on low band.

Troop L was 42.52, correct?
Per Police Call 2005 (I believe this was the final year that the book was printed)
Troop H 42.04, Troop C 42.36, Troop I 42.48, Troop F also on 42.48, Troop B 42.52, Troop L also on 42.52, Troop A also on 42.52, Troop G 42.58, Troop K was listed with 151.3550.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
I have a 996P2 Streaming Troops G & I on broadcastify doing fine with no issues after the changeover
I have a TRX-2 That I use to listen to just troop G and it works fine and a 536HP doing troop I and DEEP working fine also
I pulled out the 325P2 and it is doing fine on everything I can hear on the Troop G, A & I systems
The only change I had to make to the 996 & 325 was I had the P25 decode set to manual 6 on FDMA and had to change it to 8 on TDMA

MFCJR

I seen no real change on my 536HP after the changeover on Troop H from the New Britain area. I never could get Troop F on their site but I do receive them on the Hartford simulcast site. On another note I only receive half of what New Britain puts out on the Hartford simulcast site. (CLMRN) Even before the change. I can't see it being my location because I have no issue with everything else on that site. I do pick up everything for New Britain using the New Britain site.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I have a 996P2 Streaming Troops G & I on broadcastify doing fine with no issues after the changeover
I have a TRX-2 That I use to listen to just troop G and it works fine and a 536HP doing troop I and DEEP working fine also
I pulled out the 325P2 and it is doing fine on everything I can hear on the Troop G, A & I systems
The only change I had to make to the 996 & 325 was I had the P25 decode set to manual 6 on FDMA and had to change it to 8 on TDMA
I seen no real change on my 536HP after the changeover on Troop H from the New Britain area. I never could get Troop F on their site but I do receive them on the Hartford simulcast site. On another note I only receive half of what New Britain puts out on the Hartford simulcast site. (CLMRN) Even before the change. I can't see it being my location because I have no issue with everything else on that site. I do pick up everything for New Britain using the New Britain site.

It's all about location. It appears that the people experiencing the most issues from the changeover to Phase II are those of us not living in or near the major metropolis areas. I have heard reports from places like Southington, Hartford, New Haven, Bristol, New Britain, and other areas that say nothing has changed, and others in places like Litchfield, Middlebury, Oxford, etc. that are experiencing issues.

Apparently the switch to Phase II has made it harder for people in the slightly more outlying areas to track. But the fact that everything was fine until the switchover suggests that signal strength is questionably the cause, so something else has to be causing it. From Tuesday to Wednesday there is no way, short of a hurricane knocking over towers and mountains, that such a drastic change occurred.

I am curious if anyone has had a chance to check on the NAC status that was discussed a few posts back in this thread. @WoodburyMan ?

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have seen a couple statements in online pages about Phase 2 having slightly less coverage than Phase 1. However, I have been unable to find any direct references or links to any technical information about it. I would also wonder if the Phase 2 signal to the scanners is more affected any interference due to the faster rate. I try to keep my scanners as far away from computers and other sources of interference.

chris

PhillyPhoto

I had been using the NAC option before now, not ignore. I tried switching to "Search" to test, and noticed to real difference. I also noticed on my SDS200 it only flashes the NAC while scanning, and not when it switches to an active talkgroup. For example, for Troop H, it will flash "P25 NAC:3A8h" while scanning, but that part of the screen is completely blank when a talkgroup comes up.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I have seen a couple statements in online pages about Phase 2 having slightly less coverage than Phase 1. However, I have been unable to find any direct references or links to any technical information about it. I would also wonder if the Phase 2 signal to the scanners is more affected any interference due to the faster rate. I try to keep my scanners as far away from computers and other sources of interference.

chris
So do I. Hasn't made any difference for me. I guess I live right on the edge of one of these dead zones with the Phase II coverage issues.

It would seem unless I get a magic antenna that somehow works better than the Remtronix antenna I am up the creek.

Lucky me.