Clone Mode ^ Up to Send Pro 92

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclamb97

New to the business of programming scanners via computer software. I have a Pro 92 and a Pro 197 of which the latter has been programmed at the local "shack". The Pro 92 was programmed by hand. I have the win92 software and the usb/serial cable, which in Device Manager is shown to be working properly on Comm4. Here goes the issue: The Pro 92 uploads the handloaded freqs to Win92. Once I entered other frequencies and tags the scanner doesn't come out of Clone mode Up to send, Win92 shows data being sent, but the scanner doesn't receive the new info. Thanks in advance,

Obviously missing something in North Carolina

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-92

Hello there and welcome to RadioReference.com. I couldn't help but notice your name, as my last name is McLam. It is not a common name, but I know there are others out there.

The PRO-92 and similar scanners detect that a cable has been plugged in to the PC/IF jack and that puts them in clone mode. So the most obvious thing here is; after uploading to the PRO-92, did you unplug the cable from it?

Some people have had problems with jacks not making a good connection or perhaps a component issue that has caused this problem as well.

Here is what I'd expect. Power the scanner. With the cable already plugged in to your PC, plug the phone jack in to your PRO-92's PC/IF jack. The scanner should display 'clone mode'. In WIN92, upload to the scanner. During the time it is sending the data, the display on the PRO-92 should indicated "receiving data". If it does not there is a problem. You should NOT be using that short pigtail that came with the 20-047 cable. That pigtail is for use with Uniden made radios, and the PRO-92 is GRE-made.

Assuming you do see the "receiving data" message, when that message terminates (even if it goes back to the clone mode message), unplug the serial cable from the scanner. If the clone message does not go away, power cycle the scanner. What happens after that?

mclamb97

Hello and thank you for your reply. Yes it appears we have a connection beyond our interests here. My forefathers came across sometime during the early 1700's, up thru the Cape Fear River Basin and on into the interior of the coastal plain. Like you, I don't run into our namesake often, thus, it it doubly a pleasure to meet you!

As for programming the scanner. Presently I believe the scanner has some component issue, as it will not go into "receive mode." There is communication, to some degree, between Win 92 and the scanner, as the scanner in "clone mode" uploaded it's frequencies to the program. I tried using the instructions you gave me to no avail. I've tried with and without the supplied pigtail. I've initialized the scanner and tried that, no dice. I did notice after the initialization, when putting the scanner in scan mode, it read all channels locked out. I programmed a couple channels to see if the program would overwrite those but nothing ( not that the scanner saying all channels locked out would have anything to do with it, just shooting in the dark, so to speak). Perhaps I'll try the reset and see if that does anything.

Anyways, thanks for your suggestions and again very pleased to meet you. Any other ideas would be well received, thanks again, Milton

jamesa53

This is probably a shot in the dark but on the Configuration>Serial Port pulldown, I have the third box in the list "Enable Readback Tests" checked, and that is the only one I have checked. I am using the RS 20-047 cable. Another shot in the dark might be to reload the driver for the cable, the CD that came with my cable was blank, but you can get it from the RS site via download. The Win92 software is a little "buggy" but is much better than programming it by keypad. Mine has always allowed send and receive from the 92.

gmclam is right on about the other things. He also knows and has repaired 92s with the warmup problem with some 92s as I unfortunately have a B model that has to be on about a minute before it receives transmissions.

It should go into Receive mode with several blocks across the bottom of the display, which get filled in as data is transferred from Win92. I dont know if the warmup problem affects data transfer though.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-92 woes

There is communication, to some degree, between Win 92 and the scanner, as the scanner in "clone mode" uploaded it's frequencies to the program.
That's good.

I tried using the instructions you gave me to no avail. I've tried with and without the supplied pigtail.
Forget the pigtail, it is not needed on this model.

I've initialized the scanner and tried that, no dice. I did notice after the initialization, when putting the scanner in scan mode, it read all channels locked out.
The message 'all channels locked out' can mean just what it says, or it can mean there is nothing programmed. It is a catchall message when you put it in SCAN mode and there is nothing programmed/selected to scan.

I programmed a couple channels to see if the program would overwrite those but nothing (not that the scanner saying all channels locked out would have anything to do with it, just shooting in the dark, so to speak).
I am not sure if you are saying you programmed by hand, or with the software. If you programmed by hand, go in to MAN mode. You should be able to sit on a single frequency. What I'd do is program the NOAA channel (such as 162.400) and see if that works (I know you can hear weather with the Wx button, but this would test that you can program it). Also, when you program something in, let's say bank 0, and press scan; if you get that message, press 0 to enable that bank.

Perhaps I'll try the reset and see if that does anything.
Unlikely. The function of it being in clone mode or receive mode is mostly a hardware related function. If you feel at least a little technical, you can open up the scanner and take a look at the PC/IF connector. It is possible that the switch which is part of the jack is not making a good connection. It should when there is nothing plugged in. What it is supposed to do is provide a ground signal on the PC/IF connection to the CPU. That tells it to be in receive mode. They've used this same circuitry on the newer models as well. Carefully spray some contact cleaner on the jack and then plug and unplug the cable a few times. THEN put it back together and power it back up.

Last edited:

mclamb97

Pro 92 Win92 Scanner not recieving data Sucess!!

If you first don't succeed try again! All the info received here on the forum has been extremely helpful. After quiet a few attempts the scanner finally went into receive mode and copied data from the computer. The whole problem was in the PC/IF jack wasn't making good connection and wasn't switching into receive mode. It was perplexing because the scanner would upload data to the computer but wouldn't receive data from the computer program. After disassembling the scanner, spraying some contact cleaner and a little nudging on the jack's tab which I assume is the part not making good contact (only visible after taking the scanner apart) the scanner went into receive mode once I clicked on Win92's download to scanner tab. After seeing all the little windows on the scanner's screen become filled in was cause for celebration. I now have quiet a few more frequencies programmed in and have the tags to go with them as well.....Great! Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.