Clone R5 to R6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Good morning!

Does anyone know if it's possible to clone the contents of an Icom IC-R5 to the IC-R6?

I've got a new R6 on the way from HRO, and I'd like to save myself some time and keystrokes. They didn't have the Icom cloning cable in stock, but I believe I can use an old mini-plug to mini-plug cable I happen to have. By the way, I believe this would require a mono- to mono-plug type of cable, not a stereo cable . . . is that correct?

Thanks!

-Johnnie

majoco

Stirrer
I assume that you have already up- and down-loaded the contents of the R5 a few times and have a file in you computer of the data. The instruction booklet on the R6 will tell you what plug is required and if it's the same plug as the R5, then try it and if it works you have something for nothing - winner.

I made an interface for my Yaesu VX-2 which works well with some downloaded software. I compared my interface with the one for an Icom R7000 and they are close enough - added a different connector and yippee it works!

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I assume that you have already up- and down-loaded the contents of the R5 a few times and have a file in you computer of the data. The instruction booklet on the R6 will tell you what plug is required and if it's the same plug as the R5, then try it and if it works you have something for nothing - winner.

I made an interface for my Yaesu VX-2 which works well with some downloaded software. I compared my interface with the one for an Icom R7000 and they are close enough - added a different connector and yippee it works!

Thanks for the reply, majoco.

I called the Icom tech support people, and they told me the two radios couldn't be cloned because "the software fields are different." The R6 arrived yesterday, so I just went ahead and programmed it manually . . . not an easy task with Icom radios. Thankfully, the R6 operating system is similar to the R5, so I didn't have go through another learning adventure.

Thanks again!

-Johnnie

compuscan

It's too late now but you may have tried:

1.) exporting the frequencies to a file with your old software

2.) with new software for the R6 import the old frequencies into the new software and upload it.

majoco

Stirrer
"the software fields are different."

That's something I've overcome with a couple of databases - examine the data with a text editor or Excel
and see if you can re-arrange the columns taking care with commas and tabs as they are often used as fillers or blanks. What have you got to lose?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
It's too late now but you may have tried:

1.) exporting the frequencies to a file with your old software

2.) with new software for the R6 import the old frequencies into the new software and upload it.

Great suggestions. Unfortunately, I never purchased software for the R5.

Thanks!

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
That's something I've overcome with a couple of databases - examine the data with a text editor or Excel
and see if you can re-arrange the columns taking care with commas and tabs as they are often used as fillers or blanks. What have you got to lose?

Too late now, but thanks for the tips, majoco!

Status
Not open for further replies.