Cloning a micro SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Can I clone an SD card by the following process? First I remove and replace the micro SD card from my SDS100 AFTER I turned it on and let it boot up, with another SD card from my SDS200, then turn off the SDS100 and let the SDS100 write to the SD card as part of its power shut down?

I had to buy a new micro SD card for my SDS200 in my vehicle. I used Sentinel to get the appropriate Uniden files on it so I could program. After I had programmed, it worked but I noticed some FL files didn’t take. I noticed certain FL’s were missing after I left my house. But that’s where my laptop I use to program is. But I did have my SDS100 with me with all of my FL’s working. I could have simply swapped the SD cards... thats what got me thinking... could I turn on one radio, allow the radio to read the SD card and place it’s contents into memory, then replace that SD card with another working card and then turn the radio off, where it will write to the SD card before shutdown?

Under the topic of Forum Protocol, the following... It’s one of those times where “Why don’t you try it first and let us know how you make out, before asking the forums” could get someone into trouble. So, I decided to wait until I returned home to do my programming. I am guilty of not doing a search first, having no excuse other than the question seemed highly remote to me, and any search would be wasting time...

Can an SD card be cloned in this manner?

MStep

I know you will get more succinct answers, from those more technically astute. But it does not sound like a "clean way" to clone a card. Even the question was a bit confusing to me.

Through some trial and error, I believe the preferred method would have been to write your SD card from your 100 to Sentinel, disconnect your 100 from Sentinel, put your new, properly formatted card into the 200, make sure that Sentinel then "recognizes" that it is now connected to the 200, and then write Sentinel into the 200.

I only have the 200, but I have noticed something strange with favorite lists. When reading from the radio into Sentinel, updating the main database, and then rewriting the whole works back to the 200, unless I check the box to "Erase Favorites Lists" before writing everything back to the radio, the favorites lists get screwed up. I'm not sure if it's attempting to append the current favorites list if you don't use the erase command, and I'm certain that someone with both the 100 and 200 will shortly chime in.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. Swapping cards will just swap the scanner with the missing data.

Connect the SDS100 to any computer, enable mass storage mode, and copy the entire contents of the card to a folder on the computer. Then pop the card out of the SDS200, put it in the computer, and copy the folder contents to the card, overwriting the SDS200 card files.

Status
Not open for further replies.