• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cloning XTS 1500 to XTS 2500

Flameout00

Can my codeplug from the XTS1500 be cloned to the XTS2500? I keep getting errors, but I'll admit I'm certainly not a Motorola wizard so it's quite possible that I'm missing something

Both already have the same frequencies programmed in and I'm just trying to get the 2500 to scan 'Scan List-1' like the 1500 does
I can get the 2500 to somewhat scan. I have the top button set up to Scan, and a long press turns on the Z and also a flashing square above it to it's right, bit even those the Z is there, it's not actually scanning and Scan can't be turned off by pressing that top button. It just gives a different beep sound. I have to turn off the radio to get the Z and the flashing square to go away

OrangePelican

Premium Subscriber
Can my codeplug from the XTS1500 be cloned to the XTS2500? I keep getting errors, but I'll admit I'm certainly not a Motorola wizard so it's quite possible that I'm missing something

Both already have the same frequencies programmed in and I'm just trying to get the 2500 to scan 'Scan List-1' like the 1500 does
I can get the 2500 to somewhat scan. I have the top button set up to Scan, and a long press turns on the Z and also a flashing square above it to it's right, bit even those the Z is there, it's not actually scanning and Scan can't be turned off by pressing that top button. It just gives a different beep sound. I have to turn off the radio to get the Z and the flashing square to go away
No. Codeplugs can’t be cloned form one model number to another. The model and flash code need to match.

Flameout00

OK, well that explains why it wasn't working. I was probably trying for 30 minutes or so before I even noticed that it was a 2500 and not a 1500

Flameout00

did you try a top level drag and drop?
Honestly, I'm not even sure what that is or how to go about it. I opened 2 Astro25 windows, side by side, and had the settings from the 1500 in one and the 2500 in the other. I compared each and changed the 2500 to match the 1500, but scan still didn't work properly. I'll play around with it a little more today, but I'll probably just give it back to the guy and admit my defeat

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Open two codeplugs one of your original and then the one you want to match . Then go to the top level of the tree of the original..Left click on the top of the tree. Drag that over to the other open codeplug and drop it on the top level and it will populate the items it can. The ones it can't or wont it will tell you in the invalid fields and you can correct them

Flameout00

One more dumb question related to this radio. The guy that I programed it for told me the volume is real low now, even when it's turned all of the way up
I just spent 30 minutes comparing one codeplug to another and I can't find anything that could possibly control volume

Is there a specific area that I should be looking at in the codeplug that would affect the audio?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Could be a bad volume control on the radio? They are up in years.. Whats the full model number on back of radio?

Flameout00

Could be a bad volume control on the radio? They are up in years.. Whats the full model number on back of radio?
I guess that's probably it, if there's nothing in the settings that adjust volume. It's weird that the volume was good (loud) before I made the changes. I don't have the radio here right now, but this is the radio info from the codeplug
20240806_135947.jpg

Flameout00

The settings I have under the Alert Tones tab are also showing the 255 for Maximum Audio Volume. I'll try getting the radio back and load in the original codeplug to test the audio

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
It sound like then you got a bad radio whether it’s the speaker internal or something else. Try attaching a speaker mic and see if it’s louder.

However they are cheap enough now I wouldn’t waste time on repair and just get another unit.