"Close Call" 95.700000MHz FMB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killergorilla

I have a sds100 and yesterday while driving in town, my sds100 stopped scanning and I heard music. It happened four times over approx a half hour. All it said on screen was "Close Call" 95.700000MHz FMB. There is a radio station located at 95.7FM, but this has never happened before? Anyone with any idea of what the hell happened please enlighten me. It almost seemed like someone was purposely trying to jam up my scanner? Anyone with any ideas please respond. Thanks for your time....

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Close Call will vary in its operation.... sometimes you'll get a broadcast station, sometimes not. You undoubtedly were hearing the 95.7 FM station. There are two ways to "Avoid" a Close Call hit that you don't want to hear. A single press of "Avoid" when you are receiving the FM broadcast station will stop it Temporarily from being received again. Once you turn off the scanner, the Avoid will be cleared. If you want to Permanently Avoid 95.7, press the "Avoid" button twice quickly when you are receiving 95.7. That will cause the lockout to persist even the next time you turn the radio on... and until you manually clear the Avoid. Use carefully.

killergorilla

Close Call will vary in its operation.... sometimes you'll get a broadcast station, sometimes not. You undoubtedly were hearing the 95.7 FM station. There are two ways to "Avoid" a Close Call hit that you don't want to hear. A single press of "Avoid" when you are receiving the FM broadcast station will stop it Temporarily from being received again. Once you turn off the scanner, the Avoid will be cleared. If you want to Permanently Avoid 95.7, press the "Avoid" button twice quickly when you are receiving 95.7. That will cause the lockout to persist even the next time you turn the radio on... and until you manually clear the Avoid. Use carefully.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it....

killergorilla

There is a setting that will stop the close call from searching the FM band, you may have changed that setting, or you just drove close to the transmitter.
“I just drove to close to the transmitter’? Unless someone was transmitting that signal from a car in traffic, there’s no way I was picking up the actual radio station.... it’s clear across town..... and it’s never picked up a radio station before, and doubt it will again.... unless I take it with me in vehicle and same folks with way to much time to waste get close to me in traffic......

icomhead

I have found that some of my Uniden scanners will detect high powered FM broadcast transmitters from some considerable distance with close call. Especially if I was in a rural area with next to no radio traffic.

wtp

my pro 164 picked up a NOAA from over 5 miles away.
the area i was in had no transmitters around, so i guess it was easy pickings.
with a no radio noise it would have been the highest signal around.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Most likely a portable fm transmitter. I've seen clerks or places use them to stream music including at restaurants from their phone or their Alexa devices.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Most likely a portable fm transmitter. I've seen clerks or places use them to stream music including at restaurants from their phone or their Alexa devices.

24,000 watt station on that frequency, even across town it would be unusable for a personal FM transmitter unless you were in a Faraday cage....and then the signal wouldn't make it out.

Valeriy

I have a sds100 and yesterday while driving in town, my sds100 stopped scanning and I heard music. It happened four times over approx a half hour. All it said on screen was "Close Call" 95.700000MHz FMB.

Just find "Broadcast Screen" in the settings, and set FM to On, in order to filter away FM Broadcast signals.
I have just an old BCD436HP, but the SDS100 operating system looks like an evolution of the 436, so it should have that feature, too.

JJMNIZ

Your scanner may be running Close Call at the same time it is scanning. Possibly someone with an SDS can tell you how to turn off "Close Call while scanning".

Status
Not open for further replies.