Close call captured 170.100 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to my Bearcat BCD325P2 and my close call picked up a digital signal, sounded like telemetry on 170.100 MHz and I tried to look it up but the only station I found with that frequency was in Maine. I live in southern Jefferson County on the Ohio River and I wonder what it could be.

DE KA3WRW

BushDoctor

I was listening to my Bearcat BCD325P2 and my close call picked up a digital signal, sounded like telemetry on 170.100 MHz and I tried to look it up but the only station I found with that frequency was in Maine. I live in southern Jefferson County on the Ohio River and I wonder what it could be.

DE KA3WRW
Water level in a body of water

Saint

Premium Subscriber

DE KA3WRW
could be border protection, it's used in Buffalo Ny
170.10000 CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION BUFFALO NY P25

ecps92

What is used in one place is not the same in another. But a general push in the right direction :)

the OP Described Digital Telemetry, however I would program the freq in and see what "AUTO" indicates for P25 or Analog.
Telemetry is generally Analog, but lets see what he is hearing/logging. Likely a Vote-Scan P25 Network pinging vs traditional telemetry

could be border protection, it's used in Buffalo Ny
170.10000 CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION BUFFALO NY P25

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
DE KA3WRW

Flood water monitoring system. EMA and NOAA had a bunch of these installed. Also check 169.5 MHz.

ecps92

162-174 is generally FEDERAL, with some exceptions,. but you likely will NOT find them during an FCC Search as Federal are thru the NTIA

Why you found Maine is they petitioned the NTIA for the allocation, then had to go thru the FCC for the actual license.

DE KA3WRW

spacellamaman

DE KA3WRW

i have had experiences with one data/water/telemetry/scada etc transmitter that is on a water tower near the highway. this one is fairly high powered and sets off my close call on a 3-4 different freqs other than the designated one(+/- 1ish mHz), which is a 170mhz area freq that is commonly used for utility data. but the periodic nature of the Tx allows me to be right on top of it, and therefore catches a "splatter" freq by close call.

Status
Not open for further replies.