Close call on BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb9djk

Premium Subscriber
When close call is active, I can see (very) high signal strength for a band but the radio does not break squelch. Even with squelch set to '0' I will not hear anything despite a signal being received. Do I have to have a service turned on to hear? (which would not make sense). I do receive signals that will break squelch so I know CC is working. Thanks in advance.

Valeriy

When close call is active, I can see (very) high signal strength for a band but the radio does not break squelch. Even with squelch set to '0' I will not hear anything despite a signal being received. Do I have to have a service turned on to hear? (which would not make sense). I do receive signals that will break squelch so I know CC is working. Thanks in advance.

I'm definitely not able to understand what do you want to mean...
In Close Call Only mode, above each band number the 436 displays a vertical bar whose lenght is directly proportional to the signals strength in that band (for example, on the hateful :) band 1), and then?
As far as I know, the squelch has nothing to deal with a Close Call Capture:
a CCC is triggered only when a nearby strong signal rises above the local EM background noise of at least 20 dB or more, thus in CC Only mode it's just normal not to hear anything, until a nearby strong signal is emitted.
On the other hand, if you are monitoring some channels and with the CC DND or CC Priority modes active there is no audio despite the squelch set from 2 to 0, then maybe there is a hardware failure...

wb9djk

Premium Subscriber
Close Call

Thank you for responding.
I guess what I am trying to say is: I see almost full scale on one of the active
Close Call 'bands'. I can see the bar go all the way up but I hear nothing. I guess it
could be noise but it's unusual since it 'looks' like a valid signal when it goes up/down.
Similar to the 'S' meter when you can hear people having 2-way communication.
Have I sufficiently confused you yet? I know I'm confused.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not knowing which band, I can describe several scenarios that would result in what you are seeing:

1) You are near one or more TV transmitters. If no one signal is at least 18 dB stronger than the TV transmitter signal, you won't get a close call hit.

2) You are near multiple paging systems. (same explanation)

Actually in any case, same explanation. Just because there is a strong signal strength in a band does not mean you can get a CC hit from a signal. There needs to be one single signal that is much stronger than any other signal in the band in order for the scanner to get a hit on the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.