BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Close call, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

battleop

I've had the 436 for a little over a week and I've yet to get a CC hit on anything but broadcast stations. I've been through several Fast Food places where I've been less than 10 feet from the user with the headset and watched them make 15-20 second transmissions and I've not seen a single hit. I was able to use my ID-51 right next to the radio and it does get a hit with in a second or two. What am I missing when trying to get hits on Fast Food transmissions?

No matter what I do I can't get my BCD436HP to stop picking up broadcast and WX stations. It's hitting on stations where the transmitters are 10-15 miles away even on a frequency like 92.200. I've done the following but it does not seem to help...

I've gone to Menu >> Srch/CloCall Opt >>Broadcast Screen >> Set All Band Off. I've also checked "Set Each Band" and confirmed that Every Option (Pager,FM, UHF TV, VHF TV) are set to Off. I only want to avoid the Pager/FM/UHF/VHF TV and nothing else. Is there some other place to block this?

I've looked through the manual and googled about this but I'm coming up empty.

trunker

I've had the 436 for a little over a week and I've yet to get a CC hit on anything but broadcast stations. I've been through several Fast Food places where I've been less than 10 feet from the user with the headset and watched them make 15-20 second transmissions and I've not seen a single hit. I was able to use my ID-51 right next to the radio and it does get a hit with in a second or two. What am I missing when trying to get hits on Fast Food transmissions?

No matter what I do I can't get my BCD436HP to stop picking up broadcast and WX stations. It's hitting on stations where the transmitters are 10-15 miles away even on a frequency like 92.200. I've done the following but it does not seem to help...

I've gone to Menu >> Srch/CloCall Opt >>Broadcast Screen >> Set All Band Off. I've also checked "Set Each Band" and confirmed that Every Option (Pager,FM, UHF TV, VHF TV) are set to Off. I only want to avoid the Pager/FM/UHF/VHF TV and nothing else. Is there some other place to block this?

I've looked through the manual and googled about this but I'm coming up empty.

You want to turn broadcast screen on for those bands, not off.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Turning BC screen ON will eliminate hits from all of those bands.

Many fast food RR use spread spectrum headsets or headsets with very low (10-50 mW) output power, making getting a CC hit very difficult.

battleop

I'll give that a try. The manual isn't clear about what On or Off means in this situation. To me Off would indicate that I want to turn off receiving broadcast stations but it seems that it really means turn on the ablity to skip them.

I guess it's too much trouble to explain in the manual what On and Off means relative to Close Call getting hits on Broadcast stations. :)

I'm still trying on the fast food frequencies. In the past my 246t didn't have a problem getting hits on some locations. I guess I need to get the 246t back out and run through the drive thru and see which one gets hits.

Thanks to both of you for the answer on the Close Call.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I think screen is the important word. A screen stops something from getting through, a window screen stops insects from getting through it. In this case a broadcast screen stops broadcast frequencies from getting through.

Status
Not open for further replies.