CloseCall VSP? TGID Search Without Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4IXY

Premium Subscriber
I got a Close Call this morning on 163.5125 MHz. Saved the freq and had 40 or so hits afterwards. Half were P25 and the other half were encrypted. The transmissions I heard definitely sounded like VSP. The freq did not show up searching the database. I am in east Fauquier Co. I am using a BCD996T. I am new to trunking and only had the scanner a few weeks now.

The scanner saves CloseCall hits in a conv system. I created a P25 system and entered the freq. Is it possible to get the TGID without the Control Channel? I am attempting to Id search that freq, but am not having any luck. Thanks

KM4IXY

Premium Subscriber
163.5125 MHz P25 Conventional

I have tried programming this frequency in trunked systems every way I can and it won't work. I may still be doing something wrong. I believe it is just a conventional P25 channel. About 50% of the transmissions I am receiving are encrypted.

I haven't figured out who it is yet, but am positive it is law enforcement of some type. In the first couple transmissions I heard after it appeared from a Close Call, I heard the words K-9 and sweeping a car. I have also heard numerous drivers OL #s run.

Anybody want to help me figure out who this is? None of the dispatchers sound familiar to me. I normally listen to Fauquier, Prince William, and VSP Ffx and Cul. Any help would be appreciated.:cool:

Voyager

I have tried programming this frequency in trunked systems every way I can and it won't work. I may still be doing something wrong. I believe it is just a conventional P25 channel. About 50% of the transmissions I am receiving are encrypted.

I haven't figured out who it is yet, but am positive it is law enforcement of some type. In the first couple transmissions I heard after it appeared from a Close Call, I heard the words K-9 and sweeping a car. I have also heard numerous drivers OL #s run.

Anybody want to help me figure out who this is? None of the dispatchers sound familiar to me. I normally listen to Fauquier, Prince William, and VSP Ffx and Cul. Any help would be appreciated.:cool:

It's most likely conventional, and most likely Federal.

KM4IXY

Premium Subscriber
It's most likely conventional, and most likely Federal.

Thanks, I am beginning to think it may be Warrenton Training Center or Quantico. But that doesn't really explain the Close Call. BATF or USMS?

And, what are my neighbors up to?

W4UVV

163.5125 mhz.

My database lists one documented user for 163.5125 mhz. NAC 00F as CIA P25 simplex and probable input to 162.0625 mhz. NAC 00F CIA Perimeter Security ops at Langley. You are approximately 15 air miles for less from Fairfax Co. Absent a definitive id the default federal user typical "best guess" is some user mix of ICE. Program 163.5125 mhz. as a conventional simplex frequency and try to id the NAC.

My guess is you are hearing CIA Perimeter Security simplex comms at Langley.

John
W4UVV

KM4IXY

Premium Subscriber
My database lists one documented user for 163.5125 mhz. NAC 00F as CIA P25 simplex and probable input to 162.0625 mhz. NAC 00F CIA Perimeter Security ops at Langley. You are approximately 15 air miles for less from Fairfax Co. Absent a definitive id the default federal user typical "best guess" is some user mix of ICE. Program 163.5125 mhz. as a conventional simplex frequency and try to id the NAC.

My guess is you are hearing CIA Perimeter Security simplex comms at Langley.

John
W4UVV

John, I think you may have hit the nail on the head! I heard a transmission about an hour ago "admitting a 15 passenger van for use of the facility".

The scanner I have is a BCD996T. It will not decode NAC's, to my understanding. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

I have 163.5125 mhz programmed as conventional simplex on it's own system.

I am using the stock antenna. How far should it pick up a Close Call?

W4UVV

163.5125 mhz--WTC

John, I think you may have hit the nail on the head! I heard a transmission about an hour ago "admitting a 15 passenger van for use of the facility".

The scanner I have is a BCD996T. It will not decode NAC's, to my understanding. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

I have 163.5125 mhz programmed as conventional simplex on it's own system.

I am using the stock antenna. How far should it pick up a Close Call?

Yes, the 996T does not decode NACS. Actually my first thought was the Warrenton Training Center until I checked the frequency. I am not sure exactly what is going on at WTC now but my database lists it as a CIA Training Facility. The Security/FD is/was 172.5750 mhz. pl 127.3 but now may be P25. The old Army facility gate guards were 168.1500 mhz. analog pl 110.9.

Program as conventional 168.1500 mhz. and 172.5750 mhz. twice. In the first group enter the appropirate pl and select "analog" for the audio type. In the second group leave the pl data field blank but do select "digital" as the audio type. 172.2750 mhz. is a repeater output but I do not know the input frequency. If you get a P25 unencrypted or encrypted hit on 172.2750 mhz. digital quickly press "scan" and if you hear a corresponding comm unencrypted or encrypted on 163.5125 mhz. If so it would most likely would be the input to 172.2750 mhz. Scan all five frequencies and see what comms if any you receive. Be patient as Security comms may be infrequent.

I don't have any knowledge of the technical attributes of how Close Call works. Your Close Call reception will depend on a number of factors which are more appropriately discussed in another forum specifically for that subject or doing internet searches on the subject. As a general rule you have to be relatively close to the transmitting source at WTC which you may be.

John
W4UVV

KM4IXY

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the 996T does not decode NACS. Actually my first thought was the Warrenton Training Center until I checked the frequency. I am not sure exactly what is going on at WTC now but my database lists it as a CIA Training Facility. The Security/FD is/was 172.5750 mhz. pl 127.3 but now may be P25. The old Army facility gate guards were 168.1500 mhz. analog pl 110.9.

Program as conventional 168.1500 mhz. and 172.5750 mhz. twice. In the first group enter the appropirate pl and select "analog" for the audio type. In the second group leave the pl data field blank but do select "digital" as the audio type. 172.2750 mhz. is a repeater output but I do not know the input frequency. If you get a P25 unencrypted or encrypted hit on 172.2750 mhz. digital quickly press "scan" and if you hear a corresponding comm unencrypted or encrypted on 163.5125 mhz. If so it would most likely would be the input to 172.2750 mhz. Scan all five frequencies and see what comms if any you receive. Be patient as Security comms may be infrequent.

I don't have any knowledge of the technical attributes of how Close Call works. Your Close Call reception will depend on a number of factors which are more appropriately discussed in another forum specifically for that subject or doing internet searches on the subject. As a general rule you have to be relatively close to the transmitting source at WTC which you may be.

John
W4UVV

Thanks, John! I will give that a try and see what i come up with. I am about 8 miles as the crow flies from WTC.

I just heard a transmission that referenced "Dolley House". Langley is on Dolley Madison Blvd. Coincidence?

Now I just heard a different dispatcher. Wish I could decode NAC. Time to get something newer.

W4UVV

Dolly Madison Blvd. definitely is in the McLean/Vienna.area. That being the case I now think 163.5125 mhz. is another CIA repeater output frequency. Program as conventional 162.0625 mhz. and 164.8625 mhz. which also are or were CIA Perimeter Security repeaters at Langley. Program the audio type as "All". Add these to the other five frequencies and scan them. Don't depend on Close Call for reception.

John

KM4IXY

Premium Subscriber
Dolly Madison Blvd. definitely is in the McLean/Vienna.area. That being the case I now think 163.5125 mhz. is another CIA repeater output frequency. Program as conventional 162.0625 mhz. and 164.8625 mhz. which also are or were CIA Perimeter Security repeaters at Langley. Program the audio type as "All". Add these to the other five frequencies and scan them. Don't depend on Close Call for reception.

John

10-4. I only got the Close Call one time. That is how I stumbled upon this frequency.I think that was the Diplomatic Secret Service .

As referenced in beastieboy101's link. I'm picking up Langley perimeter, DSS, possibly something else I can't put my finger on yet. I'll keep listening and update the results. Thanks all for the knowledge and help!

KM4IXY

Premium Subscriber
Got the last one!

A few more hits in the last couple minutes and I can confirm the third organization on this frequency is ICE.

John, no hits at all on the 5 channels i added.

This has been a lot of fun. Now it is time to resume the regularly scheduled programming! :D

Thank You Gentleman!

Status
Not open for further replies.