Clueless Newbie? I don't know how to use my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

xonitroxo

I'm sure this is the most obnoxious question but I really need help. I've always begged my dad for a scanner and I finally got one. However, I have no idea how to use it. I have a couple of channels programmed in but really I dont hear much at all. I live in Shiawasse County, there should be something going on, somewhere. I hear little blurbs every 10 minutes or so. But I don't know how to make it pick up that exciting stuff. That and I don't know how to keep it on just one channel so I can hear everything going on. I know that I can lock it on a channel but zzzzz I hear nada. Maybe everything was just dead air cuz it was a tuesday night, but Im assuming SOMEWHERE in the county something was going on?
Can someone please, PLEASE help me. My email is face_place@yahoo.com if thats the best way to reach me since Im new to this too :(

Last edited:

tusker305

OK, Lets start with a few questions first, What scanner do you have? What do you want to listen to? Do you have the programming cable for your scanner? Are you using programming software yet?

mikey60

I'm sure this is the most obnoxious question but I really need help. I've always begged my dad for a scanner and I finally got one. However, I have no idea how to use it. I have a couple of channels programmed in but really I dont hear much at all. I live in Shiawasse County, there should be something going on, somewhere. I hear little blurbs every 10 minutes or so. But I don't know how to make it pick up that exciting stuff. That and I don't know how to keep it on just one channel so I can hear everything going on. I know that I can lock it on a channel but zzzzz I hear nada. Maybe everything was just dead air cuz it was a tuesday night, but Im assuming SOMEWHERE in the county something was going on?
Can someone please, PLEASE help me. My email is face_place@yahoo.com if thats the best way to reach me since Im new to this too :(

Ok, the best way to get some help, is to let us know what kind of scanner you have. This is the first bit of information that will get help coming your way.

Mike

jleverin

Xonitroxo

Welcome to the forum. This is a good place to learn about the scanners, but in order to help you, we need to know what you are using(Brand and model) as each scanner has it's own little quirks. I am fairly new to scanning myself and have learned a great deal from folks here and also accessing the Wiki areas, as well as the reference area to get my local scanning frequencies. Good luck with your scanner, they are loads of fun, I have two and love listening..........

xonitroxo

Ah ha! See Im already learning.
It was bought at radio shack and it says its a "pro 135". I dont have program software or a programming cable, is that something i purchase sepreate/do i need it/what do i do with it? I'd really like to listen to my local stuff, for durand/vernon/corunna/owosso. DPW, police, fire, ambulance. This is so confusing :(

BuiltonAsus

Programming Frequencies into Channels
Before the scanner can begin to scan, you must
program a frequency into at least one channel.
To locate and store specific frequencies into
channels for later use:
1. Press MAN.
2. Press ENT/PGM to put the scanner in
programming mode. PGM appears.
3. Use the number keys to enter both the
channel storage bank and the channel
number you want to assign to a frequency.
Example shows entering bank 1 channel 00.
4. Press MAN.
Note: If you entered an invalid bank or
channel number, Error appears and the
scanner beeps. Enter a valid channel.
5. Use the number keys to enter the frequency,
using • for the decimal point.
6. Press ENT/PGM to store the frequency into
the channel.
7. To program the next channel in sequence,
press ▲or▼ and repeat Steps 5 and 6.

Check the Database for Shiawassee County. Here you will see a list of frequencies highlighted in green. Enter in the ones you would like to scan. Once those are entered, press SCAN to scan just those freqs. you entered.

Everything in Shiawassee Co. appears to be conventional which your scanner should pick up just fine.

xonitroxo

Thank you for all your help. I'm still pretty confused to be honest but it is AWESOME that you all jump in to help me out. I guess I just think I should hear more than what i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.