• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CM-300 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfd4523

Recently installed new CM-300 in my personal vehicle. Was a brand new install on 2012 silverado. Have a lightbar and siren also installed as this is for the fire service. Have noticed that the radio seems to have weaker reception then other cm-300's that I've have been around and after a radio check last night I am transmitting with considerable static. Have checked the antenna from radio to antenna and see no issue there and radio is on high power and correctly narrow banded. I believe the issue is how it's hooked up but not sure if that could cause the reception issue. The radio calls for a 15 amp power wire. Due to the other items I'm powering, I ran 1 30amp power wire and that powers my light, siren and radio as the three together don't pull that much amps. It has its own separate ground wire to a bolt though the floorboard. I figured a bad ground might cause that but normally when I transmit I have my light and siren going and I'm told I am clear and no static. Is it possible that when everything else is off that the radio pulls to much power and has static issues? Would that or a bad ground explain the weak reception? My minitorV pager has better reception that my mobile does.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Noise on your power feed can certainly cause issues, but I doubt that is it. If you ran your power direct from the battery, then you should be good to go. One thing you can try is to disconnect (pull the fuse) for your siren and light controller. Then check your radio. While you are at it, check all the connections between the battery and the radio. Look for corrosion, lose connectors, etc. The radio should only draw a set amount of current on transmit. It should't change depending on the lights or siren running

I'd suggest having someone with an antenna analyzer check your system. There are many places that things can go wrong and cause issues. An SWR meter alone may not be enough. A shop with the proper tools and test equipment can save you a lot of headaches.

A couple of places to check:
Connector on the end of the antenna feed line, where it connects to your radio. An improperly installed connector can cause issues.
Pull the antenna off and check there isn't corrosion or moisture. This is a pretty common cause.
Check the antenna itself. A damaged antenna can be a cause.

Most of all, be sure it isn't your location.

Don't rule out the radio itself...

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Where do you have your antenna mounted and what type is it? Using an analyzer is an excellent suggestion.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, good question.

You say "Recently installed new CM-300 in my personal vehicle."
Who did the install? What sort of antenna, antenna mount, coaxial cable, and connector were used?

Pictures are worth 1000 words…..

cmdrwill

Radio should have a separate battery feed fused for 15 amps for your CM300 radio. And a separate ground just for the radio near where the radio is mounted.

Check your antenna installation....

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Here is a link to the Motorola install manual for the Pro Series. The chapters on power connections and such are generic to all of their commercial and professional radios.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxAVX2o_3yDlSkJzak1MN251c00/edit?usp=sharing

They specifically want the +12vdc line to go direct to the battery's positive terminal with a fuse within 12" of the battery. The -12vdc (ground) is to go to a factory grounding point.

General advice is to always use a separate cable for the radio power, direct from battery to radio. Even though it might seem logical to combine main power, it's not advisable. (The exception is special package vehicles that have main power points in other places like the trunk on PPV and SSV units. They use wire that is rated a lot higher than 30 amps for this to avoid voltage drop and heat issues.

Since the Motorola power cables have equal lengths of red and black wire, most installers will pick a grounding point near the battery. There are usually several of them in the area.

FWIW, you may find a bad junction on the "30 amp wire" where the radio is connected to it. Or, the "30 amp wire" is actually less capable than you think. If I was going to try to create my own power point, I would have used wire sized for at least 50 amps or more between the battery and the power point. 75 or 100 amp would not be out of line. You can't just add up the current draw of the lightbar, siren, and radio to determine wire size. Length of run is critical. Installers usually use double or triple (or more) the anticipated current draw when sizing wire for this purpose.

I regularly install CM's, CDM's, and M1225's in cars and trucks. I follow the Motorola guidelines religiously and have never encountered the issue described by the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.