• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CM200 question - double chirp?

teethtranspo

Not much experience with mobile radios, lots with handheld. Trying to make a portable CM200 rig for wifey's auto so she can monitor the work traffic from her car.
Got the programming done but when I key the mic I get a double chirp that sounds just like the low battery alert on a CP200. But it's plugged into the cigarette
lighter, how could it have a low battery? I have ordered a beefy aux plug but while I wait for deliv, thought I'd reach out and see if anyone knew what those double
chirps indicate. All help appreciated
Bob

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
CM200 are designed to work directly off the battery.. Modern day 12v outlets are not going to have the amps to run a radio

K2NEC

Chirp means it's drawing power that the power supply can't support. Go directly to the battery

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
All help appreciated
Bob

Sort of echoing what's above,

#1 "new guy" mistake is to wire radios to the cigarette lighter.

That's going to lead to headaches, as you've discovered. "Beefed up" plug isn't likely to help, but may hide the underlying issue.

Modern vehicles have very small wiring for the cigarette lighter sockets. Often they are fused at 10 amps. Also, the circuit may be shared with other accessories. That creates a number of issues:
1. Radio may be voltage starved, which would give you the double beep.
2. Relying on spring loaded contacts in the socket/plug is going to eventually fail. It can lead to arcing contacts, damage, etc.
3. The shared circuits may result in RF interference being introduced into the radio via the power lead.

For some reason, Motorola sometimes sells cigarette lighter cords for some of their lower tier radios. Used to be they came with a warning about running the radio on low power to prevent these sorts of issues.

Any reputable radio manufacturer, up fitter, install shop or tech will tell you that the only way to properly power your radio is to source the power directly from the battery and only directly from the battery. The positive lead for the radio needs to go direct to the positive post on the battery with a fuse installed very near that connection. Negative lead should NOT go to the battery. It should be grounded to the body close to the radio.

Do that and it should solve your problems.