CMPD Protests Just Switched to Encrypted TAC channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevig

At least for the rest of the evening.

All the divisions. Dispatchers for each division called out and had everyone switch over to their respective tac channels for remainder of evening.

No changes however for MCSO, Matthews PD. At least not for now.

uscanteater

Huntersville traffic seems to be using their TAC channel, and Charlotte Fire Department has been using their "K" channel all weekend for dispatches to incidents uptown, and K also happens to be encrypted.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Even tho they switched to Tac channels you'll still hear things over the Main & Conference talkgroups. at least Friday night & last night I did. Won't hear everything but enough to keep ya going... But right now is a time when Officer safety can't be taken for granted so I don't really blame them.

David

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
There seams like there is very little traffic on the main or dispatch talk groups. Maybe since the division tac channels are very busy, that’s where they went. You can still monitor activity on encrypted channels. You can see UIDs and activity on talk groups.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
CMPD appears to have gone fully encrypted with all dispatch on the tactical talk groups. What is left to hear are a few coms on conference channels.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I suspect after this between the rioters retweeting the radio traffic or being found listening to the live feeds and the downright jamming and interference of conventional systems, there will be alot more encryption after this.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
I would be very curious to hear if CMPD has ever experienced or apprehended any bad actors who were using their radio system to avoid arrest. Looters will be the first to be apprehended if they are relying on a phone app or a hand scanner to evade law enforcement.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
It appears to me as of this morning, June 4, CMPD is using encrypted talkgroups for maybe everything. Hope they'll eventually return to previous format with limited encryption.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Huntersville and Davidson just moved to CMPD-1 indefinitely this morning. Don't see that listed in RR.

As mentioned numerous times, it won't be in RR database until someone hears it, verifies it, and submits it to the RR Database. The other question is what has happened to the old system, is it being kept as a backup or depreciated?

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Huntersville and Davidson just moved to CMPD-1 indefinitely this morning. Don't see that listed in RR.

what is the source if this info? just curious if that references a CMPD talkgroup that's is tagged as CMPD-1 in their department radios. traditionally Davidson and Huntersville have been dispatched on the CMPD North Division talkgroup. Since CMPD move to encryption at least Huntersville has been working off of their Tac talkgroup. Maybe they are merging back with CMPD dispatch like 'normal'?

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
The old 4.1 system is gone for good.

HPD Tac 1 is not encrypted like the CMPD Tacs, I'm sure they went to CMPD-1 to move to a secure channel since they may not have access to CMPD North Tac.

I fired up DSD+ this morning and can crossreference RID and TGID and track down the actual TG. probably encrypted so we'll be SOL.

nwalshjr

Premium Subscriber
what is the source if this info? just curious if that references a CMPD talkgroup that's is tagged as CMPD-1 in their department radios. traditionally Davidson and Huntersville have been dispatched on the CMPD North Division talkgroup. Since CMPD move to encryption at least Huntersville has been working off of their Tac talkgroup. Maybe they are merging back with CMPD dispatch like 'normal'?
I was listening to them this morning when they told the Huntersville & Davidson units to switch to CMPD-1 "indefinitely" and stand by for roll call.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to them this morning when they told the Huntersville & Davidson units to switch to CMPD-1 "indefinitely" and stand by for roll call.

Good catch. So it was actually referred to as CMPD-1 for both the Huntersville and Davidson departments.

All I can see that is interesting on DSD+ or Unitrunker is that CMPD North Tac is patched with TGID 861, which is nowhere to be found in RR. I would assume that TGID is the CMPD-1 TG that was referred to but it really doesn't matter because it's ENC. But, if true it's interesting to know nonetheless.

I think it can be safely assumed that, along with many other 'new normals' that we will see as a result of the events past weeks and months, that a big part of the monitoring hobby will be a thing of the past. If departments can transition to encryption that seamlessly (assumed) that there will be no turning back. I know there are other threads on this topic so I'll leave it there for this one.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just as a coincidence listening to the NCSHP Training Center Tower up here in Raleigh and heard traffic sounding like normal dispatches on Viper TG Davidson MA 1, TG 15003, with dispatch (RID 574994) send B23 to W Center St. It is listed as a patch on my scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.