CN is not CN but yet it is CN

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I so hope your all confused by the heading. Now that a lawsuit against Canadian National over a derail and cleanup in MS has been tossed out of court due to CN not operating in MS.... You heard me right, Canadian National has no business rights, no trackage, no properties, etc in MS. However, "CN" does.... In IL, MS, TN, LA, and other states in the Southern portions of the USA, the Canadian National CN owns nothing, and does not legally exist. The "CN" there is just new branding of the Illinois Central RR. Yes, IC does still exist under new name, and colors of "CN", but its NOT the CN of Canadian National. Personally I think this is just another "IP" game to avoid legal rights and costs. But legally, it is what it is. So now I am thinking I need to do some re editing of all the railroad stuff to reflect all this. Anyone else getting a migraine from these games?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The former Illinois Central lines in the U.S. are owned by Grand Trunk Corporation, a subsidiary holding company of Canadian National Railways. The former IC lines are operated as Canadian National Railways.

Should you decide to change the railroad listings in the states for which you are a DB admin, I strongly suggest that you coordinate with the DB admins for the other states where CN (IC) operates so that the end result does not confuse the users.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Perhaps it might be wisest to list some info in the Subcategory Notes if there are any issues a RRDB user might need but leave it all as CN for headers and channel names. Perhaps "Former IC Lines" etc. as appropriate.

For the most part it is CN in name and operations but GTC on paper. We are concerned with actual operations at the database level not corporate intrigue.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Perhaps it might be wisest to list some info in the Subcategory Notes if there are any issues a RRDB user might need but leave it all as CN for headers and channel names. Perhaps "Former IC Lines" etc. as appropriate.

For the most part it is CN in name and operations but GTC on paper. We are concerned with actual operations at the database level not corporate intrigue.

Ditto. Operationally and to the ordinary human, it's CN, so you don't need to change anything.

Casey Jones must be turning over in his grave.

CN deep in America.

Darn Canadians. Nice people but they ruined everything. . . .

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Canadian Pacific is the same way... CP Rail Police service vehicles are clearly marked CP Rail Police, though the registration on the plates stated Soo Line Corporation or Duluth, Minnesota and Eastern Railway Corporation depending on where the vehicle was stationed...

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Canadian Pacific is the same way... CP Rail Police service vehicles are clearly marked CP Rail Police, though the registration on the plates stated Soo Line Corporation or Duluth, Minnesota and Eastern Railway Corporation depending on where the vehicle was stationed...

If I recall correctly that may be due to laws forbidding foreign corporations from registering vehicles etc in some (or all) states. By using a US-based holding company they get around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.