Coast Guard 345.0 - who are they talking to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
345.0 AM is the CG primary ops frequency. Here in District 9, I've only heard 1 or 2 brief transmissions on this freq.

But who exactly are they talking to? And who is doing the talking?

For instance...the CG helo here is based in Detroit. Would it be the helo that initiates comms on 345.0? If that's the case, are they talking to other air-based CG units, and/or ground stations? What types of CG ground stations have UHF capability? Do they have that in addition to the regular "VHF Marine" freqs? When would 345.0 be used?

I guess the real question is - anyone have insight into CG ops and associated comms?

John_M

I don't have any insight in the CG. I would say they are talking to both. Probably used for survalence and rescue and any other situation they might be needed. I here them occationally too.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Various websites and magazines have been publicizing the four new Coast Guard Aviation channels, which include 345.0 MHz.

doctordave

Here in the mid-Atlantic area, I've copied a few helo to CG station comms on the newly designated UHF USCG freqs- mostly routine traffic. The rescue operations in this region still seem to primarily make use of the standard VHF Marine USCG freqs.

DPD1

Normally they would use that to talk to base and maybe other CG aircraft. Yes, they do use VHF for normal ATC, and also use the Marine channels.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, Aviation, MURS, GMRS, Marine & Ham Antennas -

ctadam12

LOL You guys are funny with all the conspiracy sounding posts. It's very simple...the Coast Guard can be heard on the marine working channels...period! Any other comms you can't hear is because we turn on the encryption. Nothing more..nothing less! Trust me, monitor 21A,23A,22A,16,81,AND 83.

eorange

This isn't "conspiracy talk"...it's about knowing when the CG uses UHF vs VHF. There was a similar thread in the Military forum involving mil air traffic and when they use UHF and VHF to talk to ARTCCs.

If you're implying that 345.0 is encrypted, then that's not been my experience. All the comms I've heard on UHF CG freqs have been in the clear. What comms are encrypted?

DPD1

I don't know who "we" is supposed to be, but I've never once heard encryption used on the basic CG uhf air freqs... Sorry, no conspiracy here, just experience.

BTW, I've also heard cutter/helo air ops on the UHF freq.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, Aviation, MURS, GMRS, Marine & Ham Antennas -

KC8WLZ

eorange said:
This isn't "conspiracy talk"...it's about knowing when the CG uses UHF vs VHF. There was a similar thread in the Military forum involving mil air traffic and when they use UHF and VHF to talk to ARTCCs.

If I remember correctly, eorange started this thread because of a conversation that he and I had. He was telling me that he met one of the USCG rescue swimmers at the Cleveland Airshow last weekend. The "local" discrict 9 helo is stationed out of Detroit, not here in Cleveland. The swimmer stated that the are in Cleveland at least twice a week either on patrols or search missions.

Eorange and I were were wondering that if the helo is in Cleveland that often, how come we don't hear them very much. Then we questioned who the helo may be talking to? Are they using 345.00 or one of the VHF freqs???

seamusg

KC8WLZ said:
If I remember correctly, eorange started this thread because of a conversation that he and I had. He was telling me that he met one of the USCG rescue swimmers at the Cleveland Airshow last weekend. The "local" discrict 9 helo is stationed out of Detroit, not here in Cleveland. The swimmer stated that the are in Cleveland at least twice a week either on patrols or search missions.

Eorange and I were were wondering that if the helo is in Cleveland that often, how come we don't hear them very much. Then we questioned who the helo may be talking to? Are they using 345.00 or one of the VHF freqs???
The Coast Guard Helo's are out of SANG. I hear them quite often, setting up "Radio Guard" with sector Detroit when outbound and inbound, untill they are in contact with SANG tower, I usually hear them on VHF 23A and 83A. I can't hear Cleveland from where I at but I do hear the Helo pass off Detroit "Radio Guard" to Cleveland, when they tell Sector Detroit they are in contact with Cleveland.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the USCG using encryption on the VHF CG marine channels, like 21A, 22A, 23A, etc.

jerseymilair

New USCG UHF Frequencies

There are four new UHF frequencies assigned to the USCG:
345.000 / AIR OPS PRIMARY
237.900 / AIR OPS SECONDARY
326.150 / AIR-GROUND PRIMARY
379.050 / AIR-GROUND SECONDARY

Here in New Jersey, 345.000, 326.150 & 237.900 are used on a regular basis. All comm's are clear. The only encryption I've ever monitored were on some of the HF COTHEN Network frequencies. Atlantic City refers to 345.000 as "UNIFORM 4" and is used daily as an air to ground frequency. 237.900 is used air-to-air at night while they play cat and mouse between Barnagat and Seaside Heights.

Steve
jerseymilair

eorange

Steve, that info helps a lot - thanks!! Is 345.0 primarily active during the day?

nycrich

345.0 is the primary for CGAS Clearwater, ( St Petersburg, FL).This is for the southern region all the way to Keys. All take-off info, weather, schedulding concerns are on this freq.I can hear both air and ground comms with no encryption. Once they take-off, or within base arriving they call up on this freq. On departure after using this freq they will mention "securing comms with CAMSLANT".

BMT

USCG has a PRIMARY and SECONDARY freq. There are also 8 other freqs assign for use on the scene SAR.

BMT

divcfd

I'm in TRNJ using a Pro-96. When I try to enter the USCG freqs above into the scanner the display reads "invalid Freq." Why is this and how can I correct it?

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
The PRO-96 doesn't support scanning in the UHF milair band. I'm pretty sure that there is a firmware upgrade available that way you can scan that range.

D

DaveNF2G

Starrsoft's Win96 enables opening of additional frequency ranges on the PRO-96 and PRO-2096, including milair.

Status
Not open for further replies.