Coast Guard and Lifeguard Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomasG

I have a wonderful opportunity to stay in Long Beak on the top floor of the West Condiminimums which is 29 stories tall. I'll be able to hear San Diego to Santa barbara (at least.)

Rather than cross post or even triple post I'd like to ask here what specific Coast Cuard channels should I listen to, including the new Rescue 21 frequencies? I know that Long Beach Fire dispatches lifeguards on chennel 3 (?) but what about the Orange County and Los Angeles frequencies. I want to listen to SAR and lifeguard stuff,

I've gotten hooked on Lifeguards on NatGeo and Coast Guard Alaska on NatGeo. I wanna play! The building is like 1800 feet tall!

Any suggestions would be apppreciated.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
LA County Lifeguards are in the Db, however all the beach ops are VHF simplex so reception would be limited. You might hear some activity on the 37Mhz boat channels if there is anything hot going on.
Los Angeles County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

For Coast Guard, Air Station LAX uses 345.000, while Sector LA coordinates with choppers on one of the marine frequencies, I belive either 157.100 or 157.175.
I know CG has law enforcement activity down in the LA/LB harbors as well, but I don't have those frequencies.

tomasG

LA County Lifeguards are in the Db, however all the beach ops are VHF simplex so reception would be limited. You might hear some activity on the 37Mhz boat channels if there is anything hot going on.

West Condo in Long Beach stands over 1800 feet tall and is right on the unobstructed shoreline. Long Beach Fire dispatches lifeguards on F-3 and they are on a repeater. Having done some homework since all Orange County lifeguards are on the Orange County TRS. Antenna limitations will likely keep me from me hearing San Diego even from 1800 feet. A Ferret antenna on the balcony will kick butt.

So this leaves the marine rescue channels besides ch. 16. What freqs. should I look for the helo's? The Coast Guard remote bases are located on I think Mt. Orizaba on Catalina at about 2127 feet so they can hear much further.

I look forward to a mariner that can answer the marine questions.

tomasG

That's odd. Both my reply and Jimru's reply are blank. I used the Quick Reply..

At any rate, @KennyBlues, those are the Rescue 21 frequencies you linked to. Thank you, but I already have them. The bigger question is the existint marine channels and liason with the public. Channels 16, 69, 71 and what other channels might be used for search and rescue (plane down, etc.) in Sector Los Angeles or Sector San Diego.

clayirving

Premium Subscriber
When the helicopters leave the Coast Guard ramp at LAX they call the LAX Helo Control on 119.800 or 120.350.
They then call Sector LA on marine channel 83A (157.1750) to assume a radio guard.
On RTB, they call the base on air ops (345.000).
I hear occasionally hear something on CG-113 (163.1375) with a NAC of 295, but I haven't been able to decode it.
If they're working LA County FD, they'll probably be on Blue 8 (470.5375).

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Make sure your radio is set to AM.

Also Air Station LAX radio is not the strongest, but you should still be able to hear the chopper side of the conversation further out.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I tend to hear them every couple of weeks when down in LAX area.

Like mentioned normally inbound choppers check-in with air station LAX prior to landing, but I've also heard air to air coordination when multiple units were airborne.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Depends on the type of call. If its with other agencies (eg LACoFD) then they can come up on those frequencies, or utilize marine band frequencies.
For instance LACoFD has Marine 6, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 21A, 22A, 23A, 79A, 81A, 82A, 83A, programmed on their VHF radios.

Regardless however the choppers will check in with Sector LA which maintains their radio guard.

DPD1

Every so often they'll do inland training routes and periodically give their position back to ops on the 345 as well. But it's by no means busy.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
If there was other coast guard elements then likely one of the Marine freqs for unit-unit comms like 21A, 22A, 23A, 81A, 83A which are designated CG tacs.
However they could also be working on any inter-ship frequency assisting the parties in distress.

Basically the for Helo's the only sure local frequency is Sector LA which maintains the radio guard.

For major events, there are memorandum of understanding between the USCG + LACo Sheriff and Fire + LA City Fire and Police + Ports of LA and Long Beach + Ventura County Sheriff and Fire, Santa Barbara Fire + Orange County Harbor Patrol + US Navy + State of California + and other Federal agencies as to who is responsible for what in case of events. There are various contingency plans in place for things like marine fire fighting, sinkings, hazmat events, salvage etc.. Some of these plans call for specific inter-agency comms, mostly on the marine bands, but also use of local, state and federal mutual aid frequencies.

Lastly keep in mind, stuff out on the ocean can be a somewhat over the horizon and hard to monitor inland.

Status
Not open for further replies.