Coast guard channel renaming

jaymatt1978

I understand the Coast Guard renamed channels with "A" 21A,22A.23A,81A,82A,83A, to1021, 1022,etc., to handle the new narrowband marine frequencies but they still refer them with the "A" I heard this on Sectory Delaware Bay, Virginia and Sector Long Island Sound. Was wondering if anyone in different sectors have used the new labelling system on the air???

ecps92

I understand the Coast Guard renamed channels with "A" 21A,22A.23A,81A,82A,83A, to1021, 1022,etc., to handle the new narrowband marine frequencies but they still refer them with the "A" I heard this on Sectory Delaware Bay, Virginia and Sector Long Island Sound. Was wondering if anyone in different sectors have used the new labelling system on the air???
Have not noticed the new names here in Boston, but also have not observed the normal NOTAMS going over the air of late, which is ODD

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I listen to sector Delaware Bay every single day as I live on the Delaware, I monitor 13, 16, 22, 81 and 121 and 409.

I guess it could depend on the Guardsmen who's on radio duty but I just hear them say 16, 81 without using the A. They will say monitor 16, 81 and report ops and location every half hour on 81. I've also heard 81 Alpha too

Last edited:

gary123

Trentbob makes a good point. Many who use the radios daily know what channel to go to. So saying "go to ch 81" would be understood to actually mean go to 81A

prcguy

I've used USCG Harris XG-100Ps which they are phasing out and in the menu the regular marine channels are listed as 22A, 83A, etc. I have not seen the replacement radios yet which I presume will be APX8000s. When I hear notice to mariners from Sector LA and San Diego they still use the A designations for channels.

prcguy

Why did some channels get the 10 prefix and others did not?
Many marine frequencies have split transmit and receive, especially for International use. In the US we only use one side and we usually put an A designation in front to show we are using it in a simplex mode. If you look at an International marine frequency list you will see the splits we don't use here.

It looks like the USCG is renaming the A channels used in the US with a 10 instead of a A.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Many marine frequencies have split transmit and receive, especially for International use. In the US we only use one side and we usually put an A designation in front to show we are using it in a simplex mode. If you look at an International marine frequency list you will see the splits we don't use here.

It looks like the USCG is renaming the A channels used in the US with a 10 instead of a A.

Quoting the document in my link agrees: "Note that the four digit channel number beginning with the digits "10" indicates simplex use of the ship station transmit side of what had been an international duplex channel."

hill

Premium Subscriber
Reading the USCG Navigation Center's website goes in to detail on the channels changing to 10 instead of A is an International standard.

Guess it's all changing to stop the confusion among mariners in US ports.

I am old school, it's going to be hard to get in line for the change.

Will have to monitor the CG Sectors to see if they have changed their wording. I have the opportunity to monitor three sectors many times delivering for work, but Sector Virginia is most busy.

gary123

It looks like someone is finally get ambitious and coming up with a international standard frequency list and channel numbering scheme. A pattern is starting to emerge. The old split frequency pairs are Ch xx, Simplex on the lower frequency of the pair is Ch10xx. Simplex on the higher frequency of the pair is Ch 20xx. The only wild card is some added frequencies used by individual nations such as Canada. Canada is still using the older method of naming the 20xx channels as xxB

The only wild card is some added frequencies used by individual nations such as Canada. Canada is still using the older method of naming the 20xx channels as xxB. It should be noted that the two frequencies still with the B designation are both used for digital ship positioning. Canada is notoriously slow in updating their systems to meet changing standards.