Coast Guard consolidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From the UDXF Yahoo group and jtpogue...I have removed line 8 due to PII concerns, but this is othewise verbatim...see item 10 of this notice.
====================================
R 181237Z AUG 15
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-6//
TO ALCOAST
ALCOAST 331/15
COMDTNOTE 2000
SUBJ: COMMUNICATION AREA MASTER STATIONS (CAMS) CONSOLIDATION
A. Telecommunication Manual, COMDTINST M2000.3 (series)
B. Telecommunication Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTP)
CGTTP 6-01.2 (seires)
1. The Coast Guard will consolidate the Atlantic and Pacific Communication Area Master Stations (CAMS) to create a single Communications Command (COMMCOM). COMMCOM will operate the Coast Guard’s long range communications system and contingency communications assets, assist with operational planning, expand
existing training in tactical communications operations, and interface with other government agencies. COMMCOM will be responsible for Coast Guard communications interoperability and National Incident Command communication requirements.
2. Background. COMMCOM will be established on 09 Sep 2015 under the operational
and administrative control of COMLANTAREA.
3. Impact. The following units will be disestablished as a result of this project:
A. CAMSLANT
B. CAMSPAC
C. COMMSTA BOSTON
D. COMMSTA MIAMI
E. COMMSTA NEW ORLEANS
F. COMMSTA HONOLULU
G. COMMSTA KODIAK
4. With the exception of Kodiak, these units will be unmanned and their radio systems operated remotely by the COMMCOM. A COMMCOM detachment, COMMDET Kodiak, will remain at the former COMMSTA Kodiak facility to provide radio services for the Alaska region. An additional COMMCOM detachment, Mobile Contingency Communications (MCC) West will be established in Novato, CA, to provide contingency
communications response and communications assist team (CAT) services
for PACAREA units. ESD Novato will be established to provide continued electronics support to the former CAMSPAC facilities. Facilities engineering, grounds and electronics maintenance, along with other remaining support responsibilities will shift to regional bases along with resources to provide this support. This consolidation reduces
billets required to operate and maintain the CG long range communication system from 418 to 208 and saves over $10.5 million annually. These organizational changes not only achieve significant budgetary savings but also align the mission and support with a modernized CG. The Operating Facility Change Order (OFCO) directing these changes was provided via SEPCOR.
5. The present system of CAMS and COMMSTAs was established in the 1970s to provide HF communications for CG command and control (C2) and maritime public safety. With the move to satellite based communications, the need for HF communications, particularly for C2, has dramatically declined, making it possible to reduce and consolidate resources while still meeting all mission requirements.
This change also addresses growing CAMS missions, contingency communications and communications assistance, by reallocating billets to supplement current staffing. Mariners will not experience any degradation or change in the services the CG communication system now provides nor will the changes negatively impact how they communicate with the CG to obtain emergency assistance. The CG will continue to
provide high seas weather broadcasts, monitor HF distress and safety radio systems, and provide C2 communications for CG units.
6. Assessment of impact on operational communications policy and TTP is ongoing and will be addressed via changes to references A and B.
7. Public Affairs Guidance: COMMCOM, COMMSTAs, CAMSLANT, and CAMSPAC
are authorized to engage the media and public on how this initiative affects their unit. Unit personnel should contact their servicing Public Affairs Office for support and specific guidance. Questions regarding the policy itself or the ultimate decision to consolidate the communications system should be directed to the appropriate District, Area, or Headquarters public affairs office.
8. (removed due to PII concerns)
9. RADM Marshall B. Lytle, Assistant Commandant for Command, Control, Communications, Computers & IT, sends.
10. Internet release is authorized.

k8krh

TO BAD, MORE GOVERNMENT cuts in funding for this service as all the services.
DOCTOR/795

D

DaveNF2G

From the UDXF Yahoo group and jtpogue...I have removed line 8 due to PII concerns, but this is othewise verbatim...see item 10 of this notice.
...snip...
10. Internet release is authorized.

In light of Line 10, I don't get your reason for deleting Line 8.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Line 8 had a phone number....line 9 was the author, and I left that in. I'd rather be overly cautious than run afoul of Fed regs.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

If the full message was cleared for release, then it's not your responsibility.

That being said, I can see the sense in omitting information like that where it's not really needed anyway.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
That's interesting. I was doing some RFI work over at the ACY USCG Air Station. I noticed they had an odd antenna on the top of the engine cowling of their helos. I asked what it was for and was told it was SATCOM. I asked if they used it and they said they don't even turn on the equipment and when they do it doesn't work most of the time.

The antenna looked like a beater attachment for a kitchen mixer.

brandon

Database Admin
Noted them using "COMMCOM" voice callsign this morning. ALE addresses still showing up as LNT and PAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.