Coast Guard Secter Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Have been hearing alot more encryption & testing between various units in this area ,
looks like we will be hearing less here in the Detroit area I guess...

RayAir

Have been hearing alot more encryption & testing between various units in this area ,

What frequencies are you listening to?

ecps92

You might want to listen to the VHF channels [P25] as listed
in the LMR Section of the CG Wiki Much of the USCG is moving to those channels as part of "Rescue 21" ;)

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Dint even know about those channels ,...Do most marine radios you would use on your boat get all those ?
I have an old handheld & I think it only goes to ch 100 , They are using p25 as well as encryption on the standard channels that I have heard ,..but if they have the ability to use channels outside of what the average boater can tune would they still use the encryption?

ecps92

None of the new LMR [P25] are availabile in a VHF Marine Radio. :)

Dint even know about those channels ,...Do most marine radios you would use on your boat get all those ?
I have an old handheld & I think it only goes to ch 100 , They are using p25 as well as encryption on the standard channels that I have heard ,..but if they have the ability to use channels outside of what the average boater can tune would they still use the encryption?

k9rzz

Well ... what good is encryption? Isn't the whole basic idea of the Coast Guard, being able to talk with boats on the water? and vice versa?

ecps92

Encryption is used when performing Law Enforcement Operations and they DO NOT need to be talking to the GP [General Public / Goofey Persons] and only those who need to hear them....

Well ... what good is encryption? Isn't the whole basic idea of the Coast Guard, being able to talk with boats on the water? and vice versa?

kc8rak

I had to call the Fair Port harbor station last summer when i found a small paddle boat on our private beach (washed up from the prior night storm). They sent a boat and a land crew. They used a Nextel phone to talk to each other.. I hope it is the last time i ever have to deal with them. They had many many issues understanding simple directions on both water location and land location.

Status
Not open for further replies.